Beach creatures

Sry

Link Posted 02/11/2019 - 22:55
Although I'm not much of an ocean man, I do enjoy the occasional coastside stroll (especially out of season). The sandy beaches of western France (here on the coast of Vendée, between Bordeaux and Nantes) recently gave me a few interesting forms to work with, some more figurative than others...

alfpics

Link Posted 03/11/2019 - 09:47
A nice set Serge. These are the kind of shots I look out for as well! The mono conversion works for these IMO as does your choice of a white border.
Andy

johnriley

Link Posted 03/11/2019 - 09:57
Lovely textures make these special.
Best regards, John

pschlute

Link Posted 03/11/2019 - 12:06
Very artistic , and surprisingly, very calming to look at.
Peter

My Flickr page

Defragged

Link Posted 03/11/2019 - 13:46
A beautiful fine art set.
C.O.L.B.A.S victim
(Compulsive Obsessive Lens Buying Addiction Syndrome)

What you need are lenses, more lenses, bigger lenses, better lenses, faster lenses, and when you have these, your pictures will be perfect!

thingsthatihaveseen

Link Posted 03/11/2019 - 19:37
Great set this Serge... fine observations all... imagine you had quite a lot of fun with the orientations of these... strong graphic images, but lightly processed, without hitting the contrast button too hard... which gives them all a sense of optimism for me... a bit of a rorschach test too, this... see loads of different things... a mixture mostly of creatures and celestial bodies for me... fish in 2, big mouthed lizard in 3, swordfish in 6, comet in 4 and 7... oh, and a teepee in 8... but that's just me... Steve (Lubbyman) wrote in a post recently re the difference between questions and answers in a photograph, and there's plenty of questions in these... I also like how you've kept in the tiny (seaweed?) trail lines, which give a nice random element... 1 though is my partic favourite... strong, bold and graphic... top stuff all round...

Best
Bill

BillWardPhotography
Instagram
Facebook

cardiffgareth

Link Posted 03/11/2019 - 22:24
Really like no.4. The first 3 don't have the contrast that the 4th has and that adds to the image. 8 I really like also.
Gareth
Welsh Photographer

My outfit: K1 gripped - Pentax DFA 24-70mm - Sigma 70-200mm HSM Macro - Sigma 50mm macro - Sigma 50-500mm - Pentax AF 540 FGZ Ii

My Flickr
My PPG
My 500px

Sry

Link Posted 04/11/2019 - 18:15
Thank you all.

Andy, yes, monochrome is my preferred means of photographic expression, and I find a white border (or whitish when printing - the paper I use is slightly off-white) generally helps the eye focus on the monochrome nature of the image (not to mention its composition). Not that everyone agrees with this...

John, 'special' is always (well, almost always) a nice word to hear concerning one's artistic endeavours - thanks.

Peter, calm is a feeling I'm always happy to have conveyed - one that I more often than not actively seek when on a photographic spree.

Defragged - much appreciated.

Bill, thanks for your thoughts. I'm happy the end results look lightly processed, they did take some work though, a bit more than I thought. 'The Rorschach element' - a fitting title for the set, I'd say But that only really came into play when I started working on them. On site as I was pressing the shutter my feeling was one of capturing different states of fleeing time... but then the shapes just jumped out at me and I went from there. Thanks for the lizard idea, I wondered what it could be! Also I can see the teepee quite well, as it came out to me as a Native American feathered chief, the one above being his squaw and their children (but most of these were comets also at some point). I believe 1 is my favorite too, for its undefined nature...

Gareth, I can see how the first three can seem to stand somewhat apart from the rest. I did try different amounts of contrast, but these were better left as they are here for my taste. I admit the contrast/microcontrast adjustment was a delicate task...
Last Edited by Sry on 04/11/2019 - 18:16

Benz3ne

Link Posted 04/11/2019 - 18:29
#4 is the perfect balance of subject and contrast for me. I think the rest are great too but 4 stands out to me.

Sry

Link Posted 05/11/2019 - 21:45
Thanks for looking, Ben, happy you enjoyed them.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.