Batteries

tonyhudson

Link Posted 17/02/2014 - 20:19
Hi I'm new to the forum can any one help or give advice please, I have a Pentax ist D L camera and find the AA batteries I use do not last very long, is there a battery pack I could use or any other solution to my problem many thanks for any help. Tony Hudson

Helpful

josiahk

Link Posted 17/02/2014 - 20:28
"Eneloop" batteries I have found to be much more effective for cameras than traditional AAs, plus the whole recharging thing is handy. Get 2 sets and charge one while using the other
Narcoleptic with a camera

JonSchick

Link Posted 17/02/2014 - 20:32
Go for hybrid batteries which hold on to their charge for much longer. Eneloop is one such battery, but there are other similar alternatives - Hybrio is one I've used with fine results, for example.

Helpful

tonyhudson

Link Posted 18/02/2014 - 20:05
many thanks for the advice

richandfleur

Link Posted 18/02/2014 - 20:55
Another vote for Eneloop batteries.

I got a Maha C9000 charger for these years ago and this keeps the batteries in top shape. With the move to dedicated batteries in newer DSLR's this doesn't get used much any more.

taliz

Link Posted 18/02/2014 - 21:21
I am massively lazy when it comes to batteries, I always buy Energizer Lithium's. It's probably the most expensive way of doing it but they last absolutely ages.
My first Pentax camera was the KX that took 4 AA's. I tried loads of different batteries but Energizer Lithium's blew everything away. Keep an eye out on ebay, buy in bulk and always make sure you get them for less than £1 each.
The last lot I bought cost £28 for 40.

gwing

Link Posted 19/02/2014 - 09:28
tonyhudson wrote:
Hi I'm new to the forum can any one help or give advice please, I have a Pentax ist D L camera and find the AA batteries I use do not last very long, is there a battery pack I could use or any other solution to my problem many thanks for any help. Tony Hudson

Hi Tony,

Don't bother using typical AA alkaline batteries, they just don't work well at all as their voltage drops too low for the camera long before they are fully used.

You could use Lithiums but for regular use rechargeable NiMh batteries (preferably the 'hybrid' or 'precharged' type) are the best solution and last much longer than the standard disposables. Do use a decent quality charger though - anything that can charge each of the batteries independently is likely to be OK.

Good luck,
Rob.

gartmore

Link Posted 19/02/2014 - 11:46
The best choice is lithium CRV-3 rechargeables. The ones I bought with my *istDS are still going strong.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

gwing

Link Posted 19/02/2014 - 12:49
gartmore wrote:
The best choice is lithium CRV-3 rechargeables. The ones I bought with my *istDS are still going strong.

Whereas single use Lithiums are fine I seem to recall that these rechargeable Lithiums are over-voltage compared with the camera specification. That said I know some folks used them and reported focusing was a bit faster as well, presumably because the focusing motor is being driven harder.

I didn't myself get around to risking these rechargeable Lithiums in my 1*stD as the Pentax approved rechargeable NiMh batteries worked so well. That's why I haven't recommended them, although they are probably fine.

Algernon

Link Posted 19/02/2014 - 18:04
Wow! an Overclocked *istDS

--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi

OldTaffy

Link Posted 19/02/2014 - 18:09
richandfleur wrote:
Another vote for Eneloop batteries.

I got a Maha C9000 charger for these years ago and this keeps the batteries in top shape. With the move to dedicated batteries in newer DSLR's this doesn't get used much any more.

I agree. But make sure that you buy a good charger that can monitor voltage and temperature in each battery. I have used a BL-700 since buying my K-x and it does not over-charge any cell.

Over-charging NiMH batteries kills them, unlike the old NiCd cells that could be left on charge longer than necessary.

Martin
A few of my photographs in flickr.
Lizars 1910 "Challenge" quarter-plate camera; and some more recent stuff.

dougf8

Jonathan-Mac

Link Posted 20/02/2014 - 21:10
Get Eneloops and just as importantly - buy a good charger!
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3 & K200D, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.