Bateries for K-x

scouter

Link Posted 09/12/2012 - 23:37
Can anyone from experience recommend the best rechargeable AA batteries that last the longest for the K-x.

Christopher.

davidstorm

Link Posted 10/12/2012 - 00:12
Sanyo Eneloops.

Regards
David
My Website http://imagesbydavidstorm.foliopic.com

Flickr

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs

Eastridge

Link Posted 10/12/2012 - 10:08
I use both Sanyo Eneloops and the slightly cheaper 7 Day Shop 'Good to Go' ones. Performance / longevity seem pretty equal with the sort of use mine gets - sat around a lot, occasional few shots and occasional intensive use.
Sharon's: K-x, FA35/2, DA 18-250.Glen's: K10D, DA100 Macro, 55-300, Paragon 500, Silk Pro700 Tripod

stub

Link Posted 10/12/2012 - 10:23
Activ batteries from Aldi.. 2300Nimh. Under 3 a set. Easily 400+ shots per charge.
K-1Gripped K-1 ungripped K-5ii K7 Various lenses

Stuart..

scouter

Link Posted 10/12/2012 - 11:02
thank you all I will give them all a go.
Is there any difference in longevity between lithum or nicads

thespirit3

Link Posted 11/12/2012 - 12:48
Hi Scouter

NiCad cells should be generally avoided. They can supply high currents but their overall capacity is typically low.

NiMh are generally available in much higher capacity (2500+mAh is common).

NiMh and NiCad both slowly self discharge. A fully set of charged cells may be in poor condition if left on a shelf for a month or two between charge and use.

The Sony Eneloops are a special form of NiMh; slightly lower capacity but they hold their charge for many months with minimal self discharge.

I use two sets of Sony Eneloops with my K-x. I like to know they're ready to go, without having to consider if they need charging due to lack of use. I carry two sets, so total capacity isn't such an issue.

If you typically shoot a large number of photos in a small space of time (perhaps a few days) then the higher capacity standard NiMh cells may suit you better.

Lithium? I believe a good NiMH is comparable to a lithium cell capacity, probably similar in price too. However, a lithium can't be recharged. I occasionally carry a set just in case of emergencies.

Also, it's worth noting that any rechargeable cells suffer greatly when abused. Most cheap chargers overcharge cells resulting in rapid decrease in useful capacity. It's worth investing in a decent charger as otherwise it's a false economy.

I use the POWEREX/Maha MH-C9000; this can also charge cycle poor quality cells plus test cell capacity. It also monitors temperature and charge level. I haven't had a failed cell since buying this plus cell capacity levels have been well maintained.

Testing cells previously charged with other cheap chargers showed many cells only performing at half capacity, some even less.

Sorry for the essay - I hope the above is useful in some way. I've spent far too much time experimenting with batteries and chargers as half my hobbies seem to revolve around them!

Steve
Last Edited by thespirit3 on 11/12/2012 - 12:50

johnriley

Link Posted 11/12/2012 - 13:43
When comparing batteries for the K-x, I noted that mny brother-in-law managed over 1500 shots with the set of non-rechargable Lithium batteries that were supplied with the camera. I thought that was pretty good, far in excess of what I would expect from freshly charged NiMh cells.
Best regards, John

scouter

Link Posted 11/12/2012 - 14:53
Thanks for your help Steve and John I will try some of the Eneloops
I thought you could get Lithium rechargable's? and yes I am using NiMh's not Nicads a set I got from Lidl's probably much the same as the Aldi ones.

jeallen01

Link Posted 11/12/2012 - 18:55
My experience with both Eneloops and the 7 Day Shop ones is that the former do last and do keep their charge, whilst the latter do lose a fair bit of capacity over a few month (so would not use them again, and that is why I bought the Eneloops)
K-3 II, K-3 and a K-70 from SRS (having now relegated the K-30 with the Hacked K-50 f/w to being a backup body) , & some Sigma and Pentax lenses (and a lot of old 35mm gear!)

OldTaffy

Link Posted 11/12/2012 - 23:04
scouter wrote:

I thought you could get Lithium rechargable's?

The rechargeable Lithiums are called Lithium-ion cells. See the good Wikipedia article about them. They are usually biggish brick-like batteries, such as are used in laptop computers. For some reasons (mentioned in Wikipedia) they do not seem to be made in AA sizes.

I endorse the view that it is worth getting a high-tech charger for NiMH cells, that will charge each cell independently, while monitoring voltage, temperature and internal resistance. I know from experience that it is all to easy to wreck NiMH cells on a cheap charger.

Martin
A few of my photographs in flickr.
Lizars 1910 "Challenge" quarter-plate camera; and some more recent stuff.

Eastridge

Link Posted 12/12/2012 - 10:18
Endorse what OldTaffy says about individual charging for each cell.

If it wasn't for that I wouldn't have known that the reason one of my sets of eneloops was failing fast was because one battery was failing after only a few months and not taking / holding charge like the rest of them.

To be precise -we have multiple sets of Eneloops and 7 day in both AA and AAA, for use in a range equipment inc camera, flash and TV multifunction remote. For some sets the eneloops are better in others the 7 day. There seems to be 'quality' variation in both. I summarised in my previous post. So, not surprised others will have a different experience as indeed may you.
Sharon's: K-x, FA35/2, DA 18-250.Glen's: K10D, DA100 Macro, 55-300, Paragon 500, Silk Pro700 Tripod

droopsnoot

Link Posted 12/12/2012 - 11:08
By "high tech" charger, are we including the genuine Eneloop charger? I bought some Eneloops and a matched charger last year, they've been fine but I wondered if that's one being discussed, or whether there's some other kind that works much better.
Real name: Mike Edwards. My homage to seventies Vauxhalls: www.firenza.net

Camera - Pentax Kx, 18-55 kit lens, 18-200 Sigma, 50-500 Sigma, 500mm Tamron mirror

scouter

Link Posted 12/12/2012 - 11:15
well I have a high tech programable charger I use for my RC planes but I have never used it on single AA NiMh batteries but I will give it a go and I will try the eneloops.

Christopher.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.