Ball head
Posted 25/05/2011 - 08:27 - Helpful Comment
Link
Slightly above your price range, Isn't everything always that way! I'm using one of these and it's excellent and even better than the 300 quid Acratech I was using previously!
http://www.3leggedthing.com/ballheads.html?price=8%2C10
This Joby has No friction control but supposedly excellent for it's price!
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002CVU4G0/ref=asc_df_B002CVU4G02974763?smid=AB7BTT7DWCK5Z&tag=googlecouk06-21&linkCode=asn&creative=22242&creativeASIN=B002CVU4G0
Or this other Joby one, looks excellent too?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0038YWLCU/ref=s9_simh_gw_p23_d0_i7?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-3&pf_rd_r=11T9KRC621NFWCG8G4XG&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=467128473&pf_rd_i=468294
Manfrotto's are always a reasonable option price Vs Quality wise and just been revamped so presumably even better than before?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Manfrotto-496-Ball-Friction-Control/dp/B002N56F2M/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1306308348&sr=1-5
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Manfrotto-496RC2-Ball-Friction-Control/dp/B002N5NRSC/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1306308348&sr=1-1
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Manfrotto-494RC2-Ball-Friction-Control/dp/B002N5CV8Y/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1306308348&sr=1-2
I'm steering clear of Unknown Ebay Items here!
http://www.3leggedthing.com/ballheads.html?price=8%2C10
This Joby has No friction control but supposedly excellent for it's price!
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002CVU4G0/ref=asc_df_B002CVU4G02974763?smid=AB7BTT7DWCK5Z&tag=googlecouk06-21&linkCode=asn&creative=22242&creativeASIN=B002CVU4G0
Or this other Joby one, looks excellent too?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0038YWLCU/ref=s9_simh_gw_p23_d0_i7?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-3&pf_rd_r=11T9KRC621NFWCG8G4XG&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=467128473&pf_rd_i=468294
Manfrotto's are always a reasonable option price Vs Quality wise and just been revamped so presumably even better than before?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Manfrotto-496-Ball-Friction-Control/dp/B002N56F2M/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1306308348&sr=1-5
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Manfrotto-496RC2-Ball-Friction-Control/dp/B002N5NRSC/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1306308348&sr=1-1
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Manfrotto-494RC2-Ball-Friction-Control/dp/B002N5CV8Y/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1306308348&sr=1-2
I'm steering clear of Unknown Ebay Items here!
Cheers Jules...
My viewfinder is 576,000,000 pixels.
My other viewfinder is 5.76,000,000.
www.exaggeratedperspectives.com
My viewfinder is 576,000,000 pixels.
My other viewfinder is 5.76,000,000.
www.exaggeratedperspectives.com
Posted 25/05/2011 - 10:17 - Helpful Comment
Link
Check out Speedgraphic. They are UK, they have many ball heads, they give excellent service and only sell a restricted range of quality items.
http://www.speedgraphic.co.uk/
http://www.speedgraphic.co.uk/
Posted 25/05/2011 - 14:01 - Helpful Comment
Link
Just buy a new Tripod with a ball head.
I use the Hahnel Triad 30 and it comes with a great ball head plus it goes right down the floor and you can reverse the column. Been using mine for 2 years now without any issue, looks as good as the day I bought it.
http://www.premier-ink.co.uk/photographic/tripods/amateur-tripods/hahnel-triad-3...
I use the Hahnel Triad 30 and it comes with a great ball head plus it goes right down the floor and you can reverse the column. Been using mine for 2 years now without any issue, looks as good as the day I bought it.
http://www.premier-ink.co.uk/photographic/tripods/amateur-tripods/hahnel-triad-3...
Pentax k-5
Metz 50 AF-1
Pentax SMC 50mm 1.4
Sigma 70mm 2.8 MACRO
Sigma 17mm-70mm F2.8 - 4
Pentax 18mm-55mm f3.5-56 DA WR
Pentax 50mm-200mm f3.5-5.6 DA WR
Metz 50 AF-1
Pentax SMC 50mm 1.4
Sigma 70mm 2.8 MACRO
Sigma 17mm-70mm F2.8 - 4
Pentax 18mm-55mm f3.5-56 DA WR
Pentax 50mm-200mm f3.5-5.6 DA WR
Posted 25/05/2011 - 19:57
Link
Thanks for all the suggestions. Now I'll go and exhaustively research them all! (I'm like that).
My Flickr • Pentax K-5 • K-5 II • Sigma 8-16mm F/4.5-5.6 DC HSM • Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD ASL • SMC Pentax-DA* 50-135mm F/2.8 ED [IF] SDM • SMC Pentax-DA 55-300mm F/4-5.8 ED • SMC Pentax-DA 18-135mm F/3.5-5.6 ED AL [IF] WR • Vivitar 100mm F/3.5 Macro AF • Metz Mecablitz 58 AF-2
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


660 posts
15 years
Edinburgh,
Scotland
Anyway, the Velbon Ultra REXi L is looking like an excellent option. What I'm not so sure about is a head to go with it.
Disappointingly, Velbon don't give much useful information about their ball heads on their site, but unless I'm mistaken they don't seem to offer any with a friction control unless the single twist lock control they have somehow doubles as one.
Could anybody recommend a decent ball head with a friction control that would work well with the Velbon legs? Preferably not too expensive i.e. not more than £60 and preferably even a bit cheaper if that isn't too much to ask. Thanks.