backing up data from Elements 7
Posted 17/04/2009 - 13:41
Link
It also backs up a directory, so any photos with a tag or in a collection ill be re-created as such if you need to restore your photos. You could just copy all your folders as well.
I use an external hard disc to keep all my photos rather than the computer itself. When I back-up I use another external hard disc, not dvd.
I use an external hard disc to keep all my photos rather than the computer itself. When I back-up I use another external hard disc, not dvd.
Peter
My Flickr page
My Flickr page
Posted 17/04/2009 - 14:08
Link
Any backup procedure normally requires a restore procedure to retrieve data, it's not just a copy job.
This is why I always do a straight copy of my Photo folder to an external drive. In that way I can easily find my pictures also on my backup drive.
This is why I always do a straight copy of my Photo folder to an external drive. In that way I can easily find my pictures also on my backup drive.
Best regards
Terry
K20D, Optio I10, DA 18-55 1:3.5-5.6 AL II, A 1:1.7/50, D FA 1:2.8/100 Macro, Sigma 70-300 1:4-5.6 APO DG Macro, Pentax AF 360FGZ
Terry
K20D, Optio I10, DA 18-55 1:3.5-5.6 AL II, A 1:1.7/50, D FA 1:2.8/100 Macro, Sigma 70-300 1:4-5.6 APO DG Macro, Pentax AF 360FGZ
Posted 17/04/2009 - 14:26
Link
On a related note, does anyone know how to make Elements 7 backup it's tag/collection info only? I backup my photo folders to an external hard disk (it's automated) but would like to keep the Elements 7 info as well - I don't fancy having to re-input all my collections/tags etc.
John
"Before we invent Artificial Intelligence, shouldn't we eliminate natural stupidity?"
My Flickr
My PPG Entries
"Before we invent Artificial Intelligence, shouldn't we eliminate natural stupidity?"
My Flickr
My PPG Entries
Posted 17/04/2009 - 14:47
Link
Just make sure that your Organizer catalogue is stored within the photo folder.
At least in PSE6 you can select the catalogue location under File/Catalog. I assume the same goes for PSE7.
At least in PSE6 you can select the catalogue location under File/Catalog. I assume the same goes for PSE7.
Best regards
Terry
K20D, Optio I10, DA 18-55 1:3.5-5.6 AL II, A 1:1.7/50, D FA 1:2.8/100 Macro, Sigma 70-300 1:4-5.6 APO DG Macro, Pentax AF 360FGZ
Terry
K20D, Optio I10, DA 18-55 1:3.5-5.6 AL II, A 1:1.7/50, D FA 1:2.8/100 Macro, Sigma 70-300 1:4-5.6 APO DG Macro, Pentax AF 360FGZ
Posted 17/04/2009 - 16:10
Link
terje-l wrote:
Just make sure that your Organizer catalogue is stored within the photo folder.
At least in PSE6 you can select the catalogue location under File/Catalog. I assume the same goes for PSE7.
Now I feel stupid Many thanks, that has worked a treat.
Just make sure that your Organizer catalogue is stored within the photo folder.
At least in PSE6 you can select the catalogue location under File/Catalog. I assume the same goes for PSE7.
John
"Before we invent Artificial Intelligence, shouldn't we eliminate natural stupidity?"
My Flickr
My PPG Entries
"Before we invent Artificial Intelligence, shouldn't we eliminate natural stupidity?"
My Flickr
My PPG Entries
Posted 17/04/2009 - 22:48
Link
terje-l wrote:
Just make sure that your Organizer catalogue is stored within the photo folder.
At least in PSE6 you can select the catalogue location under File/Catalog. I assume the same goes for PSE7.
How would I do this, sorry for my ignorance
Just make sure that your Organizer catalogue is stored within the photo folder.
At least in PSE6 you can select the catalogue location under File/Catalog. I assume the same goes for PSE7.
How would I do this, sorry for my ignorance
There are three kinds of people in this world, those that can count and those that can't
Posted 18/04/2009 - 09:03
Link
johna wrote:
How would I do this, sorry for my ignorance
Hit CRTL+Shift+C in the Organiser to bring up the catalog box. Select the Custom Location button and browse to the folder you want to store it in. Select the Catalogs Accessible By All Users button, highlight the current catalog (called My Catalog [Current] by default) and then select Move, then select the custom location option. How would I do this, sorry for my ignorance
You should then see a "My Catalog" folder in the new location.
John
"Before we invent Artificial Intelligence, shouldn't we eliminate natural stupidity?"
My Flickr
My PPG Entries
"Before we invent Artificial Intelligence, shouldn't we eliminate natural stupidity?"
My Flickr
My PPG Entries
Posted 18/04/2009 - 15:00
Link
That sounds easy enough, thanks John. Can I just ask would it be OK to save it it My Pictures folder? Or should I create a special folder? Now when I back up my images will it save them all twice? See I am not really sure what this catalouge is/does? What am I gaining by doing this?
Again, many thanks
Again, many thanks
There are three kinds of people in this world, those that can count and those that can't
Posted 19/04/2009 - 10:51
Link
johna wrote:
That sounds easy enough, thanks John. Can I just ask would it be OK to save it it My Pictures folder? Or should I create a special folder? Now when I back up my images will it save them all twice? See I am not really sure what this catalouge is/does? What am I gaining by doing this?
Again, many thanks
Hi John -That sounds easy enough, thanks John. Can I just ask would it be OK to save it it My Pictures folder? Or should I create a special folder? Now when I back up my images will it save them all twice? See I am not really sure what this catalouge is/does? What am I gaining by doing this?
Again, many thanks
The Catalog is what stores your tags, keywords, sub-caegories and version sets within the Elements organiser. If you just back up your photo folders and the actual files within them (i.e. burning a copy to DVD every so often), if for whatever reason you have to re-install Photoshop Elements and then re-import your photos, all of the organiser information will be lost unless you have a copy of the catalog to re-import - you will have to go through all your photos and re-tag/organise etc.
By default the Elements catalog is stored within the Elements installation files which isn't that obvious a place to back up; hence moving the catalog to somewhere obvious (and My Pictures is ideal) so you can copy it to a DVD at the same time as backing up all your photo files. It's a personal thing, but I prefer the flexibility of a "burn to DVD" type back rather than the one built into Elements - at least I can just restore 1 file at a time if necessary rather than doing a complete restore.
John
"Before we invent Artificial Intelligence, shouldn't we eliminate natural stupidity?"
My Flickr
My PPG Entries
"Before we invent Artificial Intelligence, shouldn't we eliminate natural stupidity?"
My Flickr
My PPG Entries
Posted 20/04/2009 - 22:19
Link
Thanks John that has helped a great deal
There are three kinds of people in this world, those that can count and those that can't
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


106 posts
18 years
Inverness