back to my roots

davem

Link Posted 23/08/2009 - 21:23
Hello all,

I thought you might like to see this amazing sand sculpture celebrating Darwin and the origin of the species. It was created on site last week in Bradford.

Hope I got this right as it is a while since i posted a photo.

Dave

GivingTree

Link Posted 25/08/2009 - 14:55
Seems underexposed, but I really like the play on proportion here.
"Just put your eye to the camera and push the button-thingy."
Flickr page:
link

Malo1961

Link Posted 25/08/2009 - 15:36
GivingTree wrote:
Seems underexposed, but I really like the play on proportion here.

I second the last part, but.....it is definitively not under exposed.
I think it could use a bit of a contrast boost to show a bit more detail in the sand (try moving the mid tone slider in levels to: 0,95) and a less severe crop (in camera??) of the sculpture would have made it possible to correct perspective of the building, without losing anything important.
Nonetheless, well done !

Martin.
Best regards,

Martin.

Curious about my photography?? Just Follow the Light.

Thordell

Link Posted 25/08/2009 - 17:15
Excuse me if I do not comment on the image but thank you for taking it. How can anyone produce such a work of art knowing it will melt away within a short while – when we take a shot be it good, bad or indifferent we have a choice of keeping or discarding to put in so much effort for such a fleeting moment to me is beyond my understanding.
Jackie H
K7, K20D, istDS, Optio SV, ME
Most used glass
50mm f1.4, 60-250mm, 28-80mm,
Sigma 105mm 2.8 Macro & Bertha 50-500
Last Edited by Thordell on 25/08/2009 - 17:16

davem

Link Posted 25/08/2009 - 20:06
Hello again

Thanks for the comments.

Martin I have tweaked the contast see below:

I think you are right it dies give a bit more definition.

The sculpture was difficult to frame as there were quite a number of people and general clutter around it. Here it is using the wider angle of the 16 - 45

Thordell, I like to capture these fleeting moments for myself and to share with others.

Dave

fatspider

Link Posted 25/08/2009 - 20:47
Nice one Dave, was it a one off or is there still stuff going on? I'm over at St Lukes this thursday is it worth taking the camera
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link

Malo1961

Link Posted 25/08/2009 - 20:58
Hi Dave, I had a go with the first one. Hope you don't mind.(Otherwise I will take it out the air, immediately)
I have put it through PT lens to correct the building. Don't mind the scalping of Darwin. It's just to show what the corrected building does for the picture. I also had a go with the sculpture, without affecting the building. Just to make it stand out a bit more.

Martin.
Best regards,

Martin.

Helpful

davem

Link Posted 25/08/2009 - 21:02
Thanks Alan. I have just checked and unfortunately the magic garden event finished on Sunday. Now whay did they do with that 110 tonnes od sand? Fill in the Forster square hole and make a park?

Hope the trip to St. lukes goes well.

Dave

davem

Link Posted 25/08/2009 - 21:09
Martin,

Very clever!!!. What is the PT lens and how did you correct the contrast just on the sculpture? I am slowly learning elements 5 so the jargon and fiddly bits often beat me

No problems with you demonstrating a point with a picture - that is how most of us learn best.

Dave

Malo1961

Link Posted 25/08/2009 - 21:23
Hi Dave. To answer your question about PTLens. Well worth the investment. IMO.

For the adjustment of the sculpture I used Elements 6.
Basicly this is what I have done.

Copy background.
Open levels using a adjustment layer.(this allows you using a mask.)
Change the mid tone slider to 0,90
Paint back with a soft brush the building so the enhancement only effects the sculpture.(make sure foreground colour is black)
Duplicate the layer with the mask, and change blend mode to screen
Paint back the detail on the eyes with again a soft brush on the mask.

That's it. It really makes the sculpture stand out from the building, without over doing it. At least...that was my objective.

Martin.
Best regards,

Martin.

PentaxBabe

Link Posted 25/08/2009 - 21:24
Hi Dave,

I saw this on the news tonight! Lovely shot. They showed it being demolished by a JCV. Shame really all that work.

gartmore

Link Posted 26/08/2009 - 08:00
I think the wide angle one is much better.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.