Aww.. how cute!

LiamD

Link Posted 26/03/2007 - 13:44
Hi all,

this is where John's posting his piccys, so I'll do likewise.

We went to Cumbria last week, and as I seem to take more and more wildlife pictures, I thought I'd start a series of them on my website.. eventually; hence the posh framing etc.. (inspiration by Ammonyte Tim.. hope it's not too close a copy.. I'll change it if it is)

The red squirrel is relatively rare on these shores, and you certainly won't see many South of Manchester..**

One decided to have a run around in front of the chalet we stayed at, and is now made famous.

Cheers

Liam

** http://www.jncc.gov.uk/page-3224

for anyone interested in their decline in the last 20 years.
Liam

"Make your hands respond to what your mind demands." Jesse James

Best wide-angle lens? Two steps backward. Look for the 'ah-ha'. Ernst Haas

Ammonyte

Link Posted 26/03/2007 - 17:34
Nice squirrel. What did it taste like? I'll have to admit to nicking my frame style from someone else! Where in Cumbria did you go to? I've seen Reds at Threkeld and in Cockermouth.

Tim the Ammonyte
--------------
K10D & sundry toys
http://www.ammonyte.com/photos.html

LiamD

Link Posted 26/03/2007 - 17:40
Hi Tim,

http://www.centerparcs.co.uk/villages/whinfell/index.jsp

It's about 3 miles east of Penrith (J40 M6). Didn't see any for the first two days, then saw one from a distance on the Wenesday afternoon.. didn't have the camera.. Then I was standing outside the chalet on Thursday morning, with a cupa and a fag, and there was one running about in the distance. Got the camera just in time for it to run in front of me about 20' away. Saw it two or three times after that, but this is one of the best.. they're difficult to capture, because they rarely seem to stand still.

EDIT.. I'll ignore your edit..

Cheers

Liam
Liam

Ammonyte

Link Posted 26/03/2007 - 17:47
Hi Liam,

OK, only a few miles up the A66 from Threkeld.

P.S. next time you are up that way, worth making the trip over to Cockermouth - Jennings Brewery and the Bitter End Micro Brewery (hic)
Tim the Ammonyte
--------------
K10D & sundry toys
http://www.ammonyte.com/photos.html

LiamD

Link Posted 26/03/2007 - 18:17
Ammonyte wrote:
Hi Liam,

OK, only a few miles up the A66 from Threkeld.

P.S. next time you are up that way, worth making the trip over to Cockermouth - Jennings Brewery and the Bitter End Micro Brewery (hic)

I'll beer [sic!] that in mind Tim..
Liam

Mongoose

Link Posted 26/03/2007 - 23:52
nice capture, I've never even SEEN a red let alone photographed one.

There is a squirrel living in Fitz college Cambridge (my college) which appears to be a Hybrid (which I didn't think happened). He is the size and shape of a grey but is very definitely red in colour. I've seen him a couple of times now so I'm going to hide out down there with my camera and see if I can catch a photo or two.

HowardJ

Link Posted 29/03/2007 - 21:30
Formby, near Liverpool, is a very good place to see red squirrels. They are almost tame.

This is one I took there - pre-digital with my P35N, a year or two ago. I don't understand why it had such a black tail and back.

Howard
Cymru Am Byth

davem

Link Posted 29/03/2007 - 21:51
Howard if I remember rightly the red squirrels at Formby are an introduced group that differ slightly from our natives in their colouring.

Nice to see people capturing British wildlife. Most of the photos in magazines etc are from abroad. People seem to forget the great traditions of eric Hoskings and Mike Tomkies.

dave

Arthur Dent

Link Posted 30/03/2007 - 02:32
Since when are squirrels "wild" life? They stake out territories like homeless people, and guard them jealously. These territories are in parks, cities, and places where humans congregate.

spirit_of_will

Link Posted 30/03/2007 - 10:10
Arthur Dent wrote:
Since when are squirrels "wild" life? They stake out territories like homeless people, and guard them jealously. These territories are in parks, cities, and places where humans congregate.

Just pinch their nuts and see how wild they are then?

Spirit_of_will

Fan and user of quality Pentax Shiny Kit

WEBSITE www.willbartonphotography.com & www.inspiredlightimages.com

Will Barton Photography: Landscapes, Cityscapes
My Flickr
Follow Will Barton Photography on Facebook

Don

Link Posted 30/03/2007 - 14:27
just launch a quick search on squirrells in the forum, and take my advice.....Don't get us started on That subject again...or I'm telling Mac.
javascript:emoticon('')
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.

spirit_of_will

Link Posted 30/03/2007 - 14:41
Only George could have started THAT thread...

I'll tell you what tho - it's brightened up my Friday afternoon!!!
Spirit_of_will

Fan and user of quality Pentax Shiny Kit

WEBSITE www.willbartonphotography.com & www.inspiredlightimages.com

Will Barton Photography: Landscapes, Cityscapes
My Flickr
Follow Will Barton Photography on Facebook
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.