Auto Chinon 50mm 1.9 ???

Posted 27/07/2009 - 19:52 Link
Hi All

I graduated from compacts to DSLR last year and remembering my old film days I wanted to try manual again so I invested the princely sum of £15 in the above lens, to see if I could make a go of it. I actually quite like this lens but there doesn't seem to be many reviews out there for me to compare. Is it any good or am deluding myself? Also noticed the 135mm appearing on fleabay and was wondering the same.

Regards
A poor life this, if full of care,

We have no time to stand and stare. W.H Davies
mikew
Posted 27/07/2009 - 21:40 Link
I expect it's pretty good on a smaller sensor but I don't think Chinon were ever first tier lenses. They certainly were not so well regarded as Pentax, Nikon, Minolta etc. in their day.

Now I confidently await to be proved wrong! It always surprises who makes which lens and then who brands it!

Anyway I'd rather have a Pentax 135 than a Chinon and I don't think the manual ones are that much more costly than Chinons. Bear in mind 135 is quite a long lens of the APS sensor giving a similar field of view as a 200mm on film.

Mike

Mike
---------------------------------------------------

You can see some of my shots at my Flickr account.
Mongoose
Posted 28/07/2009 - 11:16 Link
I used to have this lens and subjectively it's comparable to the Pentax SMC-M 50mm f/2.

That is, not stunning as 50mm primes go, but very usable and still better than a kit zoom.

the 50mm prime is such a well known and understood lens that a bad one is a very hard thing to find unless it's damaged or deffective in some way.

135 is a bit of a different kettle of fish and I'd be inclined to go for the Pentax 135 F3.5 instead.
you don't have to be mad to post here



but it does help
Posted 28/07/2009 - 17:34 Link
Cheers for the info Mongoose, I do like the colours it produces being nice and rich and sharpness does appear to be very good but being a relative novice in this area I was unsure if I was right.

Regards
A poor life this, if full of care,

We have no time to stand and stare. W.H Davies

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo