Are we going to get Re-Branded John?
Posted 13/08/2013 - 05:45
Link
It won't matter if Ricoh drop the Pentax name on future products. All existing Pentax kit is badged as is.
I do feel that Ricoh will lose sales on future DSLR's if they drop the Pentax name. Bargains could be had if their market crumbles.
Best regards
I do feel that Ricoh will lose sales on future DSLR's if they drop the Pentax name. Bargains could be had if their market crumbles.
Best regards
Too far from a shore.
Posted 13/08/2013 - 08:05
Link
Badged as is? Pentax have factories in various parts of the world and they make things.
Of course, companies as such don't exist. They are a group of people and those people make up the company. (I'm not talking here in the legal corporate sense.) If Ricoh buy Pentax and keep all the Pentax employees and all the previous Ricoh ones leave, would the resulting company be Pentax or Ricoh? It would be called one thing and actually, for a while, be something else.
As for how I see it panning out, I have no idea yet. I'm not fretting about it, but I am shooting more images and having more enjoyment out of photography. I'm quite happy to watch and wait and see.
Of course, companies as such don't exist. They are a group of people and those people make up the company. (I'm not talking here in the legal corporate sense.) If Ricoh buy Pentax and keep all the Pentax employees and all the previous Ricoh ones leave, would the resulting company be Pentax or Ricoh? It would be called one thing and actually, for a while, be something else.
As for how I see it panning out, I have no idea yet. I'm not fretting about it, but I am shooting more images and having more enjoyment out of photography. I'm quite happy to watch and wait and see.
Best regards, John
Posted 13/08/2013 - 08:53
Link
I'm shooting a lot more since I came back to Pentax/Ricoh/Whatever.
Enjoying my gear more and I very much want it to stay that way, I'm not fretting, not yet anyway...
Enjoying my gear more and I very much want it to stay that way, I'm not fretting, not yet anyway...
Cheers Jules...
My viewfinder is 576,000,000 pixels.
My other viewfinder is 5.76,000,000.
www.exaggeratedperspectives.com
My viewfinder is 576,000,000 pixels.
My other viewfinder is 5.76,000,000.
www.exaggeratedperspectives.com
Posted 13/08/2013 - 09:03
Link
"Pentax no longer exists as a culture or a company.
It died in 2007 - RIP. " Ex Pentax Employee.
See last comment on this RH article....
http://ricehigh.blogspot.com/2013/08/the-name-pentax-is-dismissed-from-cyber.htm...
-
It died in 2007 - RIP. " Ex Pentax Employee.
See last comment on this RH article....
http://ricehigh.blogspot.com/2013/08/the-name-pentax-is-dismissed-from-cyber.htm...
-
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber
Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff
Algi
Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff
Algi
Posted 13/08/2013 - 09:31
Link
Read that Algi, it's kinda what got me thinking.
To me at least the old phrase "what's in a name?" doesn't apply, I like the name the way it is...
Old-fashioned maybe?
To me at least the old phrase "what's in a name?" doesn't apply, I like the name the way it is...
Old-fashioned maybe?
Cheers Jules...
My viewfinder is 576,000,000 pixels.
My other viewfinder is 5.76,000,000.
www.exaggeratedperspectives.com
My viewfinder is 576,000,000 pixels.
My other viewfinder is 5.76,000,000.
www.exaggeratedperspectives.com
Posted 13/08/2013 - 10:09
Link
I wonder about names such as Polaroid (on cheap products)
and Kodak (on batteries) It's probably someone just licensing
the name Will we see Pentax batteries in Pound Shops
It happened with Miranda once a great camera company
now used on cheap products in Curry's
-
and Kodak (on batteries) It's probably someone just licensing
the name Will we see Pentax batteries in Pound Shops
It happened with Miranda once a great camera company
now used on cheap products in Curry's
-
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber
Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff
Algi
Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff
Algi
Posted 13/08/2013 - 18:25
Link
A good name is often the result of good product or advertising, or a combination of the two. Pentax is no longer liked it used to be as Nikon & Canon are now the names that the vast majority of people think of in relation to cameras and lenses. However, people with a real interest in photography and its history are very aware of Pentax. I personally like the equipment and the brand name and I think it would be a very sad day if Ricoh removes the Pentax name from future products. I remember not so long ago Apple in the shadows as a computer company, look at Apple now. Pentax is an iconic name, Ricoh just has to get creative with its products and PR. Pentax can regain its mojo, but Ricoh has to want it too..
Fletcher8.
Posted 13/08/2013 - 21:15
Link
A rebranded John?
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Posted 13/08/2013 - 21:16
Link
jules wrote:
Just asking? (Tongue firmly in cheek)
Seriously how do you see this panning out?
Personally I feel Ricoh would be daft to take the name off the front of the higher end stuff but Sony did it to Konica Minolta Branding, although the change to Konica ownwership had already diluted that brand. I feel Pentax is a strong name but the way Ricoh use the phrase "Pentax cameras will continue to be produced, and that the Pentax name will certainly not be disappearing from existing product lines", is very ambiguos, typically Japanese in fact...
And before anyone starts, I know it's just the name on the front but it's a proud name and I'm proud of it...
I can't see the forum being rebranded "Ricoh User"
Just asking? (Tongue firmly in cheek)
Seriously how do you see this panning out?
Personally I feel Ricoh would be daft to take the name off the front of the higher end stuff but Sony did it to Konica Minolta Branding, although the change to Konica ownwership had already diluted that brand. I feel Pentax is a strong name but the way Ricoh use the phrase "Pentax cameras will continue to be produced, and that the Pentax name will certainly not be disappearing from existing product lines", is very ambiguos, typically Japanese in fact...
And before anyone starts, I know it's just the name on the front but it's a proud name and I'm proud of it...
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Posted 13/08/2013 - 21:36
Link
Fletcher8 wrote:
A good name is often the result of good product or advertising, or a combination of the two. Pentax is no longer liked it used to be as Nikon & Canon are now the names that the vast majority of people think of in relation to cameras and lenses. However, people with a real interest in photography and its history are very aware of Pentax. I personally like the equipment and the brand name and I think it would be a very sad day if Ricoh removes the Pentax name from future products. I remember not so long ago Apple in the shadows as a computer company, look at Apple now. Pentax is an iconic name, Ricoh just has to get creative with its products and PR. Pentax can regain its mojo, but Ricoh has to want it too..
Very well put.
A good name is often the result of good product or advertising, or a combination of the two. Pentax is no longer liked it used to be as Nikon & Canon are now the names that the vast majority of people think of in relation to cameras and lenses. However, people with a real interest in photography and its history are very aware of Pentax. I personally like the equipment and the brand name and I think it would be a very sad day if Ricoh removes the Pentax name from future products. I remember not so long ago Apple in the shadows as a computer company, look at Apple now. Pentax is an iconic name, Ricoh just has to get creative with its products and PR. Pentax can regain its mojo, but Ricoh has to want it too..
Getting there! Thanks to you guys
Pentax K3ii, Pentax K10d, Kit lens ( 18-55mm ), 50mm f1.7 lens, Tamron 70-300mm lens, Prinzflex 70-162 manual lens, Various old flashes.
Pentax K3ii, Pentax K10d, Kit lens ( 18-55mm ), 50mm f1.7 lens, Tamron 70-300mm lens, Prinzflex 70-162 manual lens, Various old flashes.
Posted 14/08/2013 - 00:03
Link
johnriley wrote:
Badged as is? Pentax have factories in various parts of the world and they make things.
Badged as is: presently badged as Pentax, regardless of where it's made.Badged as is? Pentax have factories in various parts of the world and they make things.
There is no guarantee that that will remain the case. If Rich drop the name Pentax from their product line and produce a Rich DSLR, existing Pentax "glassed up" users will have no choice but to buy if the body is an improvement over the existing range, assuming that they will stay with the mount and want an improved camera.
More interesting is the possibility that Ricoh may be the new name on the next 645 bodies?
Best regards
Too far from a shore.
Posted 14/08/2013 - 11:20
Link
It's the line that says "Pentax name will certainly not be disappearing from existing product lines" that's ambiguous to me, maybe they'll go all electronic? Leave the "Traditional"/existing products with Pentax on the front and as the all new come out replace them with Ricoh, so maybe a couple of years down the line they'll have an all Ricoh line-up?
We're talking EVF On Chip Focus, No Mirror,some new sensor tech, (XTrans might be nice?) and maybe just maybe, lots of focus points too? To be honest would it be all that bad? As soon as an EVF can show me exactly what the sensor sees and the rear screen show me and adobe RGB view, (I Think Panasonic's just (NEARLY)done that with the GX7?)
I'll throw OVF into the bin and spit on it frankly.
Then there's the potential bad stuff like new mount, lens incompatibility, lack of support, no new firmware, low re-sale value, that I just don't really want to think about!
We're talking EVF On Chip Focus, No Mirror,some new sensor tech, (XTrans might be nice?) and maybe just maybe, lots of focus points too? To be honest would it be all that bad? As soon as an EVF can show me exactly what the sensor sees and the rear screen show me and adobe RGB view, (I Think Panasonic's just (NEARLY)done that with the GX7?)
I'll throw OVF into the bin and spit on it frankly.
Then there's the potential bad stuff like new mount, lens incompatibility, lack of support, no new firmware, low re-sale value, that I just don't really want to think about!
Cheers Jules...
My viewfinder is 576,000,000 pixels.
My other viewfinder is 5.76,000,000.
www.exaggeratedperspectives.com
My viewfinder is 576,000,000 pixels.
My other viewfinder is 5.76,000,000.
www.exaggeratedperspectives.com
Posted 14/08/2013 - 17:30
Link
Interesting, U.S. of A, yes but this caught my eye!
Talk about making up your own history!
Still Pentax does get a mention in there... He He
"The company now known as Ricoh Imaging Americas Corporation, was originally founded in 1919, under the name Asahi Optical Joint Stock Co. and launched its first SLR camera in the 1950s under the PENTAX name. Today, Ricoh Imaging Americas Corporation continues to produce the heritage-rich, award-winning line of PENTAX DSLR cameras, lenses and sport optics equipment as well as Ricoh’s offering of stylish and compact digital cameras, known for their wide-ranging, rich set of features."
http://www.us.ricoh-imaging.com/about/press/310/Ricoh_Imaging_Americas_Corporati...
Talk about making up your own history!
Still Pentax does get a mention in there... He He
"The company now known as Ricoh Imaging Americas Corporation, was originally founded in 1919, under the name Asahi Optical Joint Stock Co. and launched its first SLR camera in the 1950s under the PENTAX name. Today, Ricoh Imaging Americas Corporation continues to produce the heritage-rich, award-winning line of PENTAX DSLR cameras, lenses and sport optics equipment as well as Ricoh’s offering of stylish and compact digital cameras, known for their wide-ranging, rich set of features."
http://www.us.ricoh-imaging.com/about/press/310/Ricoh_Imaging_Americas_Corporati...
Cheers Jules...
My viewfinder is 576,000,000 pixels.
My other viewfinder is 5.76,000,000.
www.exaggeratedperspectives.com
My viewfinder is 576,000,000 pixels.
My other viewfinder is 5.76,000,000.
www.exaggeratedperspectives.com
Posted 14/08/2013 - 17:34
Link
let's be fair, Pentax was originally the name of an SLR produced by the Asahi company, now it's effectively the name of a DSLR produced by Ricoh.
you don't have to be mad to post here
but it does help
but it does help
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


2342 posts
16 years
Storbritannia
Seriously how do you see this panning out?
Personally I feel Ricoh would be daft to take the name off the front of the higher end stuff but Sony did it to Konica Minolta Branding, although the change to Konica ownwership had already diluted that brand. I feel Pentax is a strong name but the way Ricoh use the phrase "Pentax cameras will continue to be produced, and that the Pentax name will certainly not be disappearing from existing product lines", is very ambiguos, typically Japanese in fact...
And before anyone starts, I know it's just the name on the front but it's a proud name and I'm proud of it...
My viewfinder is 576,000,000 pixels.
My other viewfinder is 5.76,000,000.
www.exaggeratedperspectives.com