Arax Tilt/Shift

jakobnixon

Link Posted 11/09/2009 - 18:44
Hello

Has anyone ever bought a lens online from araxfoto.com? I'm thinking of getting their MC ARAX 2.8/35mm Tilt & Shift lens. I've tried buying/hiring one at a couple of places with no luck. Arax seem to be the best option -

http://araxfoto.com/specials/tilt-shift-35/

They seem legit, although the payment gateway is unfamiliar to me.

JN

RR

Link Posted 11/09/2009 - 18:59
Hi JN, welcome to Pentax user. The exact same lens is available HERE - whilst I have no personal experience, I have read ok reports of this particular seller on the web but I'd advise you to do some more research. Just thought I'd open the options up for you, as there seems to be more reference to them in various forums.

Let us know how you get on, as I'm sure there are a few who would be interested in a tilt/shift option. I'm looking at Womble on this one !
My Flickr

jakobnixon

Link Posted 11/09/2009 - 20:45
Thanks RR - they look like a good alternative. I'll post some pictures if I get one.

JN

Aero

Link Posted 12/09/2009 - 02:31
The original Arsat, which the Arax seems to be based on, got a favourable review in AP a few years ago. I think it was available only with a Nikon mount then. Its main selling point was pretty good quality at a price well below anything produced by the major manufacturers.

Al
Last Edited by Aero on 12/09/2009 - 02:33

gartmore

Link Posted 12/09/2009 - 09:06
Do you realise that this lens is designed for 35mm film? It is really pointless on a digital camera. The only worthwhile focal length for a shift lens on 35mm film is 28mm (I have the Pentax one).

To do anything on a digital body the lens would require a focal length of 18mm. Tilt might be OK.

I've tried my 28mm on my DS and it was a waste of time really.

The lens is highly thought of and uses Zeiss glass, I'm still thinking about the medium format version.

Ken
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
Last Edited by gartmore on 12/09/2009 - 09:07

jakobnixon

Link Posted 13/09/2009 - 21:51
Thanks for the tip gartmore, it's a shame since there are so few options. I was going by what I found here -

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1036&message=32183281

The 28mm option, the 'PC SUPER ANGULON 28mm f2.8' is over $2,000!

I'd love to try this sort of thing if/when I get the K7

http://blog.planet5d.com/2009/06/tiltshift-timelapse-canon-eos-5d-mark-ii-miniat...

JN

RR

Link Posted 13/09/2009 - 22:01
Great little movies. Thanks for the link.
My Flickr

Daniel Bridge

Link Posted 13/09/2009 - 22:40
jakobnixon wrote:
I'd love to try this sort of thing if/when I get the K7

Assuming you've already got a DSLR, there's no need to wait until you've got a K-7. These aren't done using video, just loads (and loads) of still images.

Dan
K-3, a macro lens and a DA*300mm...

jakobnixon

Link Posted 13/09/2009 - 23:21
I see now - that really is a lot of stills!

JN
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.