AP Clanger - email to Atherton!

ilovesaabs

Link Posted 18/10/2014 - 15:55
Small article on K10D in the 18/09 issue of AP.

apparently it has a Samsung designed 10 MP CMOS sensor...
AKA Welshwizard/PWynneJ
Assorted Pentax/Nikon/Mamiya stuff

johnriley

Link Posted 18/10/2014 - 16:06
Yes, unfortunately there are a lot of small errors in the current crop of photographic magazines. Some quite big errors too, but once having been printed they don't easily get challenged.
Best regards, John

womble

Link Posted 19/10/2014 - 12:23
Not unusual. I sent this email to AP earlier in the year:

"In AP Saturday 28th June you state, on page 4, that the Canon EOS 650 launched in 1987 was "the world's first AF SLR." This is incorrect. The history of autofocus SLRs is a little complicated as it depends on what, exactly, you are looking at but the Pentax ME-F with the AF 35-70 lens (which I still use occasionally) was released in 1981, Nikon's F3AF in 1983, and the Minolta 7000 in 1985. The latter was the most successful and can be still purchased quite cheaply along with a range of lenses. I bought one from a charity shop with a 50mm f/1.4 lens for £40!

Yours sincerely, Kris Lockyear"

I never got an answer...

K.

BTW. Why did this end up in the film cameras section?
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website
Last Edited by womble on 19/10/2014 - 12:25

ilovesaabs

Link Posted 19/10/2014 - 12:39
womble wrote:

Mr Riley's fault, I just bought something for my Z-1 from him and the small sachet was in front of my keyboard, so I was still thinking film cameras
AKA Welshwizard/PWynneJ

ilovesaabs

Link Posted 19/10/2014 - 13:40
I've had my rant (twice) on AP forums, had a go at them slagging off the screw drive AF and not mentioning the K10D was the first SDM enabled body.
AKA Welshwizard/PWynneJ

johnriley

Link Posted 19/10/2014 - 18:50
Moved to general chat.

stu62

Link Posted 19/10/2014 - 20:36
womble wrote:
Not unusual. I sent this email to AP earlier in the year:

"In AP Saturday 28th June you state, on page 4, that the Canon EOS 650 launched in 1987 was "the world's first AF SLR." This is incorrect. The history of autofocus SLRs is a little complicated as it depends on what, exactly, you are looking at but the Pentax ME-F with the AF 35-70 lens (which I still use occasionally) was released in 1981, Nikon's F3AF in 1983, and the Minolta 7000 in 1985. The latter was the most successful and can be still purchased quite cheaply along with a range of lenses. I bought one from a charity shop with a 50mm f/1.4 lens for £40!

Yours sincerely, Kris Lockyear"

I never got an answer...

K.

i had a me f i loved it i ended up giving it to my niece

johnha

Link Posted 19/10/2014 - 22:22
Sad to say AP has declined a lot since I used to buy it. I bought one a few weeks ago, I'm unlikely to be buying another. It says a lot about a publication when the most interesting part are the ads for used gear.
PPG Flickr

ilovesaabs

Link Posted 22/10/2014 - 22:24
Just had an apology from Nigel Atherton on the AP site, admits the reviewer got it wrong despite having an encyclopedic brain...keep an eye out for a future issue for a correction

AKA Welshwizard/PWynneJ
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.