Any parrot experts out there?

Gwyn

Link Posted 29/11/2017 - 15:44
Yesterday we caught a glimpse of this parrot in the garden behind ours. Today he stuck around long enough for me to get some photos.

Taken with the 60-250 through my (closed) bedroom window. Heavily cropped too, so they aren't great but hopefully someone knows what sort of parrot it is. It is a big bird, much bigger than a magpie or jackdaw for instance. Definitely not a little parakeet. So does anyone have any idea what it might be, apart from someone's escaped pet that is.

Aitch53

Link Posted 29/11/2017 - 15:48
Probably a ring-necked parakeet - they are pretty big and becoming common round our way (SE England)

http://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wildlife/bird-and-wildlife-guides/bird-a-z/r/ri...

ETA: Further research (including your location. Oops!) suggest green rose-ringed parakeet is more likely.

http://mudfooted.com/rose-ringed-parakeet-amsterdam/
SteveH!

Some people call me 'strange'.
I prefer 'unconventional'.
But I'm willing to compromise and accept 'eccentric'.
Last Edited by Aitch53 on 29/11/2017 - 15:50

petrochemist

Link Posted 30/11/2017 - 13:32
Well the internet is full of Parrot experts, those 'experts' who parrot the advice of others without understanding it...

(Sorry couldn't resist - I recon Steve has nailed it anyway)
Mike
Pentax:K5ii, K7, K100D, DA18-55, DA10-17, DA55-300, DA50-200, F100-300, F50, DA35 AL, 4* M50, 2* M135, Helicoid extension, Tak 300 f4 (& 6 film bodies)
3rd Party: Bigmos (Sigma 150-500mm OS HSM),2* 28mm, 100mm macro, 28-200 zoom, 35-80 zoom, 80-200 zoom, 80-210 zoom, 300mm M42, 600 mirror, 1000-4000 scope, 50mm M42, enlarger lenses, Sony & micro 4/3 cameras with various PK mounts, Zenit E...
Far to many tele-converters, adapters, project parts & extension tubes etc.

.[size=11:].Flickr WPF Panoramio

Aitch53

Link Posted 30/11/2017 - 14:48
petrochemist wrote:
Well the internet is full of Parrot experts, those 'experts' who parrot the advice of others without understanding it...

(Sorry couldn't resist - I recon Steve has nailed it anyway)

The parroting, you mean?

They are horrible birds. Moderately pretty, until you realise there are hundreds of them (slight exaggeration - I did once count about 70 on one occasion) filling the trees around. They are loud, strip the buds off the trees, drive out other birds and cr@p over everything.

iirc, there is talk of a cull in the UK because of the damage they do to fields of crops.
SteveH!

Algernon

Link Posted 30/11/2017 - 16:13
It's not a 'Dead Parrot'

--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi

i-Berg

Link Posted 30/11/2017 - 20:42
Algernon wrote:
It's not a 'Dead Parrot'

--

Nor a Norwegian Blue...
http://www.pbase.com/iberg

jeffstclair

Link Posted 02/12/2017 - 09:24
Beautiful plumage .....

i-Berg

Link Posted 02/12/2017 - 09:54
The plumage don't enter into it. It's stone dead!
http://www.pbase.com/iberg

Aitch53

Link Posted 02/12/2017 - 09:56
Gwyn wrote:

Taken with the 60-250 through my (closed) bedroom window. Heavily cropped too, so they aren't great but hopefully someone knows what sort of parrot it is. It is a big bird, much bigger than a magpie or jackdaw for instance. Definitely not a little parakeet. So does anyone have any idea what it might be, apart from someone's escaped pet that is.

That's the problem with birds, even big ones. This was taken with from a distance too, and cropped, it's the sort of parakeet that infests our ornamental plum trees every so often, a ring necked parakeet...

SteveH!

Gwyn

Link Posted 02/12/2017 - 10:31
Thanks for that. Thankfully the thing hasn't been seen since.

I really don't want parakeets in my garden, especially as they compete with woodpeckers for nesting sites. We have a regular great spotted woodpecker visitor, and I have also seen a green woodpecker nearby. A bit worrying now I live in a wooden house! .

I have only ever seem smaller, noisier versions of parakeets in flocks so assumed it was a parrot. Ah well, hopefully it has moved on.

Maybe it will prove too cold for it up here this winter, but since we have a small resident population of wild flamingos living up the coast that seems unlikely.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.