Another Trip to Scotland

ChrisE

Link Posted 19/09/2007 - 18:26
Seeing Tyr's post prompted me to post these. Taken on my K10D!

Chris

Tyr

Link Posted 19/09/2007 - 19:00
You seem to have had better weather than us

I like the second picture
Regards,
Dan

https://www.flickr.com/photos/honourabletyr/

Gwyn

Link Posted 19/09/2007 - 19:26
Batter weather than me too though those clouds look familiar.
The horizon on the first doesn't look straight to me.
Whereabouts were they taken?

ChrisE

Link Posted 19/09/2007 - 20:00
Gwyn,

You were right - I thought I'd fixed the dodgy horizon but I must have uploaded the wrong version. Image now fixed!

Locations are:
Pic 1 - Moray Firth (at Fortrose)
Pic 2 - Moray Firth (at Aoch)
Pic 3 - River Beauly (at Beauly)
Pic 4 - Rogie Falls

They were taken in mid August - we were lucky to have a couple days of decent weather.

Chris

niblue

Link Posted 19/09/2007 - 20:40
I was quite lucky with the weather in my NW Scotland trip earlier this month:

Gwyn

Link Posted 19/09/2007 - 21:49
Chris glad it wasn't my eyes! Can you tell me the exif for the waterfall pic. I tried to get the same effect, but it wasn't very successful. First time of trying it, and unable to climb down close to the water due to my damaged ankle. Annoying as we just don't have waterfalls in Holland so it will be a while before I can try again.
Niblue - we had one really good day, Monday 3rd I think. The rest was not so good, but hey you don't go to Scotland for the weather.
I may post a couple tomorrow if I get round to it.

pschlute

Link Posted 19/09/2007 - 22:57
It is years since I packed my MX; Z1; and Ilford film and headed to Scotland to take some photos. Now I am nearly two years into digital photography I think it is time to plan another trip.

Now where's that mozzie spray?
Peter

My Flickr page

Gwyn

Link Posted 20/09/2007 - 09:36
pschlute wrote:

The (only) advantage of the damp weather was no midges. We did have, as recommended by the locals, Avon Skin So Soft dry oil spray with us - apparently the midges hate the stuff. Even the forestry workers use it.
It was my first trip to Scotland but I'm already thinking about returning. Maybe not next year (Still hoping for Canada next year since Africa is no going to be possible) but soon. Pity the ferries are so expensive or I would go to Scotland as well as Canada. Looks like another damp holiday next year as we are considering Newfoundland.

gartmore

Link Posted 20/09/2007 - 10:27
Gwyn wrote:
pschlute wrote:

The (only) advantage of the damp weather was no midges. We did have, as recommended by the locals, Avon Skin So Soft dry oil spray with us - apparently the midges hate the stuff. Even the forestry workers use it.
It was my first trip to Scotland but I'm already thinking about returning. Maybe not next year (Still hoping for Canada next year since Africa is no going to be possible) but soon. Pity the ferries are so expensive or I would go to Scotland as well as Canada. Looks like another damp holiday next year as we are considering Newfoundland.

I live in Scotland so believe me when I tell you that Bodyshop Mens moisturiser works well. It doesnt work in Nova Scotia so probably not in Newfoundland either. I was in NS on a shoot and found that the only effective repellent could only be obtained on prescription. When I opened the little bottle some of the contents ran out and immediately dissolved the instructions on the bottle. I rubbed some on my face and after a while felt a strange tightening sensation - my sunglasses had melted onto my face!!!. So should you get some of this highly effective stuff dont handle a plastic bodied camera.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

niblue

Link Posted 20/09/2007 - 11:23
The midges don't mind the rain (if fact they seem to like it) however what they don't like is wind. Avon skin-so-soft does work and, unlike DEET which is also effective, doesn't melt plastics.

Several of my film SLR's date back to when I lived in Hong Kong and out there I used DEET based mosquito repellants - that's why much of the logos have & labels have gone from my cameras.

Daniel Bridge

Link Posted 20/09/2007 - 17:16
Is there any truth in the rumour that midges don't like Marmite? Presumably you don't smear it on your face, but if you eat it regularly it's supposed to keep them at bay.

Dan
K-3, a macro lens and a DA*300mm...

ChrisE

Link Posted 20/09/2007 - 17:20
Gwyn,

Waterfall pic was taken with my Tamron 28-300 XR DI (so I didn't have to get too close)

Exif data: 1/8 sec at f22, ISO 100, lens at 180mm.

The water was flowing very fast so 1/8 was about right (although I think slightly slower would have been better).

Chris

gartmore

Link Posted 20/09/2007 - 20:00
Daniel Bridge wrote:
Is there any truth in the rumour that midges don't like Marmite? Presumably you don't smear it on your face, but if you eat it regularly it's supposed to keep them at bay.

Dan

Does anyone like marmite?
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

Gwyn

Link Posted 20/09/2007 - 20:09
Daniel, I love Marnite and eat it regularly. Sadly biting insects from midges to mosquitos to horse flies to tsetse flies love me and eat me regularly too, so I would say there is no truth in that one.

Classvino

Link Posted 21/09/2007 - 02:18
We spend a week or two in northern Ontario (Canada) every year - (think swamps, rocks, lakes and evergreens) and Avon's Skin-so-Soft works on the mosquitoes here very well... But make sure to get the Avon product and not the bug repellent named 'OFF! Skin so Soft' - it isn't nearly as effective. And nothing really works on Blackflies - so if you can avoid springtime up there, you're much better off...
--------------
MZ-6,K10D,K20D,Grip,DA*Zooms,DA 18-55-200 Kit,FA50,1.7TC,AFZ360
For Saleentax FA28-90,FA100-300,Sigma EX28-80,DC18-200,
Makinon 500mm Mirror
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.