Another Northen Lights photo

simonkit
Posted 01/05/2013 - 10:14 Link
Another shot of the Northern lights above the Sun Surveyor in Reykjavic

Simon

Comment Image
Russ
Posted 01/05/2013 - 11:06 Link
Beautiful image and the foreground interest looks amazing. Colours are superb.
snappychappy
Posted 01/05/2013 - 13:19 Link
The colors contrast beautifully with each other, a cracking capture.
simonkit
Posted 01/05/2013 - 16:51 Link
Thanks...shame I didn't have an even wider lens to squeeze in a bit more, the photo doesn't really do it full justice, great to see though

Simon
Gwyn
Posted 01/05/2013 - 22:12 Link
I'm having a tough time with this one Simon.

I love the composition, and the timing of the aurora swirl. But I feel the aurora is almost accidental, that the statue is the subject, oh and there was aurora too.

If it's a photo of the aurora I'd prefer the foreground to not be so bright, and the background to be a tad more saturated, to make the whole thing a bit more balanced maybe.

Sorry.
Stuey
Posted 01/05/2013 - 22:54 Link
I like this a lot
K10D, K5 plus plenty of clueless enthusiasm.

My Flickr site link
K10D
Posted 01/05/2013 - 23:42 Link
A very well taken and produced image.

Best regards
Inspiration is rarer than a plate glass camera.....
Smeggypants
Posted 02/05/2013 - 02:23 Link
The water mark is really spoiling my enjoyment of this otherwise cool pic. I can't ignore it however much I try.
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
simonkit
Posted 02/05/2013 - 07:57 Link
Thanks for the feedback everyone...Gwyn, I see what you mean, the lights are not as strong in this scene as some of the others so the foreground is a bit stronger,

Smeggy...I think the watermark is pretty subtle, sorry you can't get past it but I think you'll be posting such comments a whole lot more soon if the concerns regarding the new copyright act are proven

Simon
johnriley
Posted 02/05/2013 - 08:08 Link
You could always reduce the size if you're worried about someone stealing it. It's 850 pixels long, 800 fits the forum best anyway, so there are not many uses for an 800 pixel image. Reduce it to 600 and there are even less.

Perhaps better a clear small image than a marred large one?
Best regards, John
simonkit
Posted 02/05/2013 - 13:04 Link
johnriley wrote:
You could always reduce the size if you're worried about someone stealing it. It's 850 pixels long, 800 fits the forum best anyway, so there are not many uses for an 800 pixel image. Reduce it to 600 and there are even less.

Perhaps better a clear small image than a marred large one?

To be honest John I find most people don't have an issue with the watermark, I certainly don't when viewing others shots, although I can appreciate that some find them distracting...reducing image size doesn't have any benefit for ownership either which looks to be about to get a whole lot more important...the final reason is that all photos I post are directly shared from my website so reducing resolution would mean changing my website images which I'm not inclined to do
Smeggypants
Posted 02/05/2013 - 19:07 Link
Quote:
Smeggy...I think the watermark is pretty subtle, sorry you can't get past it

I fully understand why people watermark their pics, and yes this one is more subtle than many I wish I could get around it, but it's like getting a gourmet soup served at a 5 star restaurant and seeing a housefly swimming around in it.

Watermarks just spoil the artistic experience for me

Quote:

but I think you'll be posting such comments a whole lot more soon if the concerns regarding the new copyright act are proven

I hope people consider whether their photos are worth stealing before slapping watermarks all over them ( oops, that's going to upset some people - hehe )

Your pic above obviously is. It's a great pic and has just the sort of composition to be used as a poster or advert, given the amount of free space for the text, etc

It's not an easy situation. People want to share their artistic creations with others, but at the same time want to prevent the capitalist vultures grabbing them.

If there's an upcoming pandemic of watermarks I guess I'll just enjoy less pics.
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
simonkit
Posted 02/05/2013 - 19:22 Link
[quote:3496ace15f="Smeggypants"]
Quote:

If there's an upcoming pandemic of watermarks I guess I'll just enjoy less pics.

It certainly would be a shame if this does happen, I'll be happy to remove my watermarks if the legislation isn't as negative as suggested...even worse is the fact that several pro photographers are already closing their Flickr/FB accounts so rather than make photography/media more available the Act may well have completely the opposite effect

Simon

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.