Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Another film camera........ :-)

Jetsam1
Posted 04/05/2010 - 10:03 Link
Browsing in my local Town's market, I came across a nice looking camera.

Seeing it was a Pentax I asked how much it was and was pleasantly surprised that the stall holder only wanted £20 for it. So, for that worth a punt?

So now I have a Pentax Program A in, as far as I can tell, good working order and in good condition with the original manual. Came with a SMC 'A' 1:4 35-70 zoom lens which seems to be a very usable set of lengths. Just about finished the test roll after photographing wet and cold medieval re-enacters on Sunday! Be interesting to see what the results are! Still a nice camera to hold and use but I can't find too much information about it other than it's the little brother of a "Super Program" model?

So is it any good? I hope so! Otherwise it's nice to have added to my small yet growing Pentax collection! THough the girlfriend is possibly less enthusiastic!
K5, K200 and several film Pentax cameras!
womble
Posted 04/05/2010 - 10:15 Link
It is the little brother of the Super A / Super Program (the latter name was used in the US).

Lovely cameras in the tradition of the M series but with more bells and whistles. Everything got a major redesign when the SF series came along. It takes the MEII winder or the Motordrive A. The manual is available online.

Some info here. Alternatively, John Riley wrote an article about the series in Pentax User a few issues back.

Best wishes, Kris.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website
Jetsam1
Posted 04/05/2010 - 10:21 Link
I have an MEII winder that was my Dad's, so it can fight the ME Super for it then!

I love my K200D but the film cameras are really the hobby part, even though it does cost money for developing!
womble
Posted 04/05/2010 - 10:37 Link
Since the bottom fell out of the film camera market I have built up quite a collection of Pentax SLRs. I collect them to use, however. I do have my favourites: the LX sees a lot of work (mainly colour slides due to the accuracy of its metering) and I am peculiarly fond of my ES. I try to make sure they all get some use and have been slowly sending them off to Harrow Technical for a service. I am going to have to start a database to keep track of them all.

K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website
Mannesty
Posted 04/05/2010 - 10:48 Link
You'll find a manual for it here. Password is Pentax (case sensitive).
Peter E Smith - flickr Photostream
Dangermouse
Posted 04/05/2010 - 12:02 Link
One thing you may or may not know, the grip has to be removed from the camera if you want to use a winder with it. You do this by unscrewing it (use a coin) and then pressing it towards the top of the camera. Don't just pull as it has one of those keyhole-shaped notches above the visible screw which locks over a peg on the camera body.
Matt

Shooting the Welsh Wilderness with K-m, KX, MX, ME Super and assorted lenses.
greynolds999
Posted 04/05/2010 - 13:18 Link
I think the lens would fetch more than that on eBay - a bargain indeed.
Jetsam1
Posted 04/05/2010 - 15:03 Link
This is the beast in question with the MEII winder attached. I got the manual with it but thanks for the links to access it!

Comment Image

Comment Image

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.