An evolutionary dead end?

Algernon

Link Posted 11/04/2018 - 08:22
richandfleur wrote:
The release of Sonys A7iii for the same price as the Pentax K-1 is quite an eye opener .........

24MP compared to 36MP Hardly an eye opener

--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi

richandfleur

Link Posted 11/04/2018 - 09:16
Algernon wrote:

24MP compared to 36MP Hardly an eye opener

--

If you want to play that game, the Sony a7R II is a 42MP sensor, and the Canon 5Ds is 50.6MP, and the Pentax 645Z is 51.4MP

All cameras have strengths and weaknesses.

The A7III has nearly 700 phase-detection AF points across 90% or so of the sensor, shoots 4K video and stills at 10fps, has eye tracking AF, inbuilt sensor stabilisation, and is rated for the same number of shots per battery charge as the Pentax K-1.

So yeah, there are a lot of very good cameras available at that price range now, of both DSLR and Mirrorless style.

Algernon

Link Posted 11/04/2018 - 09:24
Even if it serves beer and hot pies 24MP will never compare to 36MP

I can imagine the uproar if the K-1ii had only had 24MP

--

Algi

LennyBloke

Link Posted 11/04/2018 - 09:36
Algernon wrote:

--

I think you're forgetting that Pentax now have the technology to apply a ghostless, HD, Aero-bright coating to each pixel - so they can now release a 6MP Full Frame DSLR and it will be superior to a "standard" 50MP from one of the also-ran manufacturers.

The bad news is the pixels are coated by hand using the finest grade, shetland pony paint brush - so there may be a bit of a wait
LennyBloke

Algernon

Link Posted 11/04/2018 - 10:12
This site is very slow! LennyBloke's Aprils 1st post has only just come through!

--

Algi

JAK

Link Posted 11/04/2018 - 14:10
LennyBloke wrote:
Algernon wrote:

--

I think you're forgetting that Pentax now have the technology to apply a ghostless, HD, Aero-bright coating to each pixel - so they can now release a 6MP Full Frame DSLR and it will be superior to a "standard" 50MP from one of the also-ran manufacturers.

The bad news is the pixels are coated by hand using the finest grade, shetland pony paint brush - so there may be a bit of a wait

Perhaps JR can get hold of one to test for PU.
John K

Don

Link Posted 12/04/2018 - 15:10
RobL wrote:
Don wrote:
like it or not video is as important as stills to many users especially pros.

I have opted to not replace my pentax gear as it wears out or becomes obsolete.
this coming from a guy who was loyal for over 35 years and many cameras over the years.
sadly it is too cost prohibitive to run multiple camera systems for my work and hobbies that all centre around creating both stills and video.

I have not upgraded from my k3.

this is a little heartbreaking but necessary.
I just bought the Sony Hxr-Nx80 video camera for 4k shooting, and have sony mirrorless and compact cameras coming soon. I just gave up.
I'll be buying a pk adapter for the sony mirrorless, until my lenses are all replaced eventually as well.

I really like the k1 and would have bought one instead of the sony camcorder IF it could put out some pro level video codecs.
I used to make money selling to magazines, but now the money is in film work, magazines are dead and dying.

Sorry to hear that Don, I feel that a camera designed ergonomically and functionally as a stills body is a compromise for video use and vice versa. Surely for pro use a dedicated video body would be the best option? That would leave another system for stills.

so everything x2 (for backup) for each system... so lenses x2 batteries x2 different systems etc.. I look at it this way...

sometimes it's easier to flip the switch from stills to video and vice versa on the camera you have set up for the shot then to be fumbling around with multiple systems. easier to have ALL your gear from one system.
For example, I will often have a camcorder running for a long take at an event and then grab whatever other cameras I have a long for b-roll, cutaways and stills. kinda sucks to have to buy two 16-50 f2.8 zooms for two different systems when you decide you need a video clip and a still of the same scene for post editing.

if pentax were smart they'd make a 645 mirrorless with 4k raw video out that crops the sensor with kmount adaptors for guys that need both stills and video and be done with it, if for no other reason then to keep the brand interesting to budding film makers, videographers looking for that 70 mm film look and to compete with Nikon in the video markets. then you could run a 645 for video alonside a k1 and never have to choose between buying a k1 or a camcorder like I just did... and Pentax lost that coin toss simply becuase of video specs... as you said for some shots you can't beat the tool designed for the job but video capable d-slrs are like swiss army knives, they're versatile enough to be worth owning... my camcorder has a built in zoom, can't swap it out for a wider shot, and the lens converters cost as much as another camera, so if I want ultrawide shots I'll need a video capable mirrorless or d-slr for that shot. and that's where my descision to drop pentax comes in. a sony mirrorless witht he same 1 inch sensor and interchangable lens makes more sense. that means pentax loses the next camera purchase as well and this last one...
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.

JAK

Link Posted 12/04/2018 - 16:21
Don wrote:
if pentax were smart they'd make a 645 mirrorless with 4k raw video out that crops the sensor with kmount adaptors

For a market of just one person?? At what cost!!!
(Shift key not working?)
John K
Last Edited by JAK on 12/04/2018 - 16:23
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.