Alternatives to Pentax/Samsung Flashguns

rqy99g

Link Posted 07/01/2009 - 16:12
Hi

What alternatives are there to the Pentax/Samsung flashguns for my GX10?

I'm looking for value for money and wireless.

Simon
"I like boring things." - Andy Warhol

womble

Link Posted 07/01/2009 - 16:14
Try looking here.

Cheers, Kris.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

MattMatic

Link Posted 07/01/2009 - 16:14
Quote:
I'm looking for value for money and wireless.

Hee hee! You may not get both

Wireless: Pentax, Samsung, Metz, Sigma.

Personally I would shop around for the Pentax/Samsung flash (AF-360FGZ or equivalent). Alternatively one of the modern Metz flash guns is viable.

However, it depends what you actually want to do with flash... you may find that some £20 second hand units and some cheap PC cabling will certainly do for studio style photography
(My e-book may help... plug, plug )

Matt
http://www.mattmatic.co.uk
(For gallery, tips and links)

Mannesty

Link Posted 07/01/2009 - 16:15
Sigma and Metz are about your only choice, but neither are what I would call 'cheap'. Which camera model do you have? Maybe an older flash coupled with a cheap radio trigger would suffice. It'll be wireless, but not P-TTL + wireless, you'll have to go manual so you might need Matt's e-book flash guide from www.mattmatic.co.uk .
Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream
Last Edited by Mannesty on 07/01/2009 - 16:19

rqy99g

Link Posted 07/01/2009 - 16:34
Quote:
Hee hee! You may not get both

I suspected I may not!

Quote:
Which camera model do you have?

Samsung GX10

Quote:
Maybe an older flash coupled with a cheap radio trigger would suffice. It'll be wireless, but not P-TTL + wireless, you'll have to go manual

Not sure about manual....

Thanks for the link to the guide Kris.

Simon
"I like boring things." - Andy Warhol

Anvh

Link Posted 07/01/2009 - 16:50
This are your choices I'm afraid for modern flash link
Try too pick some from the list you think are for you and try them out in the shop because they all work diffrently, some use dials others buttons etc.

Also get Matt's ebook, I heard it's good
still need to make a paypall account
Stefan

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ

Mannesty

Link Posted 07/01/2009 - 16:58
rqy99g wrote:

Not sure about manual....

Manual is where you'll get the most control. You'll get the exposure right after a few test shots and you'll save yourself a whole load of cash by buying an older flash.

Look out for a used Pentax AF500FTZ. it's a very versatile and powerful flash. Add a radio trigger and you have a very cheap and powerful wireless solution. P-TTL is not all its cracked up to be.
Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream

Anvh

Link Posted 07/01/2009 - 18:46
I've an AF-540FGZ and I use it in manual most of the time, it's the only way you know for sure what he is doing
Stefan

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.