Alone

womble

Link Posted 04/04/2010 - 23:24
Taken with the K20D, 12-24mm lens.

Alone

While I was trying to set up this shot I had some unwanted visitors.

Not alone!

Best wishes, Kris.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

i-Berg

Link Posted 05/04/2010 - 00:10
Apt title on the 1st Kris, nice shot. That lens certainly does a good job too.
http://www.pbase.com/iberg

mikew

Link Posted 05/04/2010 - 08:40
Can't say I like the colours that much they seem a bit electric for the subject and have led to the flower standing proud of it's background. I'd also suggest trying a crop that loses the tree on the left.
---------------------------------------------------

You can see some of my shots at my Flickr account.

womble

Link Posted 05/04/2010 - 09:36
I must admit they came out a bit more dayglo than I intended when I was editing in Lightroom. I often find what looks OK at night by electric light looks less wonderful during the day. I'll tone them down a bit, thanks Mike. I really must get a decent monitor for photo editing (adds it to the long list of things I 'must get').

K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

mikew

Link Posted 05/04/2010 - 09:40
I understand there is a bargain viewsonic available from Misco at the moment. EPN (or whatever it is the desireable technology), 23" at about 200 quid. If I didn't have my Acer which OK but not brilliant I would have bought one already.
---------------------------------------------------

You can see some of my shots at my Flickr account.

paulyrichard

Link Posted 05/04/2010 - 10:43
I like the second shot, Kris. I think it has more of a narrative with the horse and the daffodil's survival in the grazing pasture.

Personally, I would play around with a 1:1 crop including just the horse and daffodil.
"Ifamericatoldthetruthforjustonedayitswholeworldwouldfallapart "
"All the technique in the world doesn’t compensate for the inability to notice." - Elliott Erwitt

http://paulyrichard.wordpress.com/

mattcambs

Link Posted 05/04/2010 - 10:54
paulyrichard wrote:
I like the second shot, Kris. I think it has more of a narrative with the horse and the daffodil's survival in the grazing pasture.

Personally, I would play around with a 1:1 crop including just the horse and daffodil.

That's exactly what I was going to say! No.2 has FAR more potential
Matt

GX20; DA 17-70 F4; 18-55 kit; Ricoh 50mm F2; Vivitar 75-205mm F3.8

womble

Link Posted 06/04/2010 - 00:54
Another attempt at the same scene. This time, the FA43 with a polariser, and hopefully I haven't over-cooked the saturation in Lightroom.

Best wishes, Kris.
Kris Lockyear

My website

womble

Link Posted 06/04/2010 - 01:10
paulyrichard wrote:

Something like this?

Best wishes, Kris.
Kris Lockyear

My website

CoDa

Link Posted 06/04/2010 - 08:12
I like the second attempt (its the sky) and the horse & daff crop is better than the original IMHO.

Regards
Colin

“Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little.”
Edmund Burke (1729 – 1797)

i-Berg

Link Posted 06/04/2010 - 09:05
Kris,

For me, that certainly links the horse to the flower very strongly, and creates 'the story', as PaulyRichard noted.

The cloudy sky in the re-shot first scene IMO does not lend itself to the colour of the flower. Others clearly disagree, however I thought the first take on it worked better (perhaps a little less saturation needed, but better all the same ).
http://www.pbase.com/iberg
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.