Almost ruined lunch

Mannesty

Link Posted 12/07/2009 - 10:51
So there we were, eating 'al fresco' in Cartagena yesterday and enjoying a cold beer and paella.

Paella finished, eyes start wandering to see what I can take a pic of from where I'm sitting, which is usually other diners.

I look up to see the name of the street where we are dining is :-

I said almost ruined because this word is actually pronounced canyon in Spanish.
Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream
Last Edited by Mannesty on 12/07/2009 - 10:52

gartmore

Link Posted 12/07/2009 - 13:00
One of my favourite restaurants in Glasgow is Cafe Gandolfi; and it is named after the Gandolfi brothers.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

Mannesty

Link Posted 12/07/2009 - 13:15
gartmore wrote:
One of my favourite restaurants in Glasgow is Cafe Gandolfi; and it is named after the Gandolfi brothers.

I've used a few of their monorail cameras in the past.
Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream

shim

Link Posted 12/07/2009 - 13:54
Mannesty wrote:
gartmore wrote:

I've used a few of their monorail cameras in the past.

I don't think Fred and Co. ever moved into the modern world of
monorails Pete? Sure you don't mean folding?

I've got one of their wooden tripods, not really much use though.

shim

Mannesty

Link Posted 12/07/2009 - 15:34
Well it was a long time ago. It's probable then that the wooden camera I used in college was a Gandolfi with tilt/shift film and lens planes. Does that sound about right?
Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream

gartmore

Link Posted 12/07/2009 - 15:53
The business is still sort of going, three owners since the brothers died. link I have always regretted not ordering one.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

Snootchies

Link Posted 12/07/2009 - 16:06
I will come clean now and say that I had'nt heard of the Gandolfi brothers - so I've just spent a fascinating 20 mins reading up on them. I did'nt really know much about Large format (except pin hole).
Bob

My website (Hadfield Photography)

Pentax Gallery Artist page:link

Flickr Photostream: link
Last Edited by Snootchies on 12/07/2009 - 16:10

shim

Link Posted 12/07/2009 - 16:51
Mannesty wrote:
Well it was a long time ago. It's probable then that the wooden camera I used in college was a Gandolfi with tilt/shift film and lens planes. Does that sound about right?

That's possibly a Gandolfi, but a monorail is made of aluminium alloy by firms such as Sinar, Linhof and Arca.

shim

shim

Link Posted 12/07/2009 - 17:03
There was also a film made about the Gandofi's link

They didn't make much money from making the cameras and couldn't afford to retire. The BIPP took pity on at least Fred (not sure if Arthur was still alive) in the early 1980's and organized some fund raising events to buy him a pension so he could retire. Presumably he sold the business, but seems to have kept some of his tools. I wouldn't have thought the business went for much there was a severe recession at the time.

shim

womble

Link Posted 12/07/2009 - 18:23
shim wrote:
Mannesty wrote:

That's possibly a Gandolfi, but a monorail is made of aluminium alloy by firms such as Sinar, Linhof and Arca.

shim

and Horseman
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.