AF360 FGZ FLASHGUN

Snapper

Link Posted 18/03/2006 - 11:41
Greetings one and all

I am considering the purchase of the above flashgun for my *ist DL but when looking through a certain well known camera shop writeups, I read that the above is designed for the MZ-S range of camera's.
Are the MZ-S camera's the same setup as the *ist DL range regarding the above named flashgun?

Regards
John

niblue

Link Posted 18/03/2006 - 12:26
Not only will it work well with the DL, it's just about the only available flash that will...

Snapper

Link Posted 18/03/2006 - 12:37
niblue wrote:
Not only will it work well with the DL, it's just about the only available flash that will...

My thanks for your comments..Seems like a purchase is imminent.

Best wishes

John
Snapper

McBrian

Link Posted 18/03/2006 - 13:24
Snapper..go to www.microglobe.co.uk , they have the AF360FGZ listed for 149.00 with free p+p, cheapest I've seen and I had excellent service from them.
Cheers
Brian.
LBA is good for you, a Lens a day helps you work, rest and play.

Mannesty

Link Posted 18/03/2006 - 13:48
This gun is designed to work with the MZ-6, MZ-S, *ist-D & later DSLR's. Maybe the *ist film camera too 'though I haven't tried it.

It is fully functional (P-TTL, Wireless etc) with all of the above mentioned cameras and works in TTL mode with the older SLR's.

The head tilts for bounce flash, but does not swivel. The AF-500FTZ is a more powerful gun which has a tilt 'n swivel head but is less compatible with the newer cameras as, amongst other things, it doesn't do wireless mode.
Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream

Snapper

Link Posted 18/03/2006 - 14:15
McBrian wrote:
Snapper..go to www.microglobe.co.uk , they have the AF360FGZ listed for 149.00 with free p+p, cheapest I've seen and I had excellent service from them.

Almost 200.00 is the asking price so that's a good price Brian and thanks for the info, I will look deeper into the url address when more time is available.

Thanks again
John

Snapper

Link Posted 18/03/2006 - 14:33
Mannesty wrote:
This gun is designed to work with the MZ-6, MZ-S, *ist-D & later DSLR's. Maybe the *ist film camera too 'though I haven't tried it.

It is fully functional (P-TTL, Wireless etc) with all of the above mentioned cameras and works in TTL mode with the older SLR's.

The head tilts for bounce flash, but does not swivel. The AF-500FTZ is a more powerful gun which has a tilt 'n swivel head but is less compatible with the newer cameras as, amongst other things, it doesn't do wireless mode.

Thank you for the added information Mannesty, although I feel the AF-500FTZ is far too expensive for my pocket, or should I say, my flexy friend ..The AF360 suits my price range and besides, I have no specific reasons for wanting anything greater, my thoughts are more of wildlife & nature with the 'speed' setting, so the less hassle the better.

How many frequencies does the FGZ360 have for wireless work, although that's something I can follow up once purchased.

Thanks again
John

niblue

Link Posted 18/03/2006 - 14:52
Mannesty wrote:
The AF-500FTZ is a more powerful gun which has a tilt 'n swivel head but is less compatible with the newer cameras as, amongst other things, it doesn't do wireless mode.

The DL lacks TTL compatibility so the AF500FTZ would be manual only with it.

McBrian

Link Posted 18/03/2006 - 15:44
Quote:
How many frequencies does the FGZ360 have for wireless work, although that's something I can follow up once purchased.

The AF360FGZ has 4 selectable frequencies, the channel No has to be set to same as the camera body. You can download the manual at http://www.pentaximaging.com/customer_care/manuals_literature, select Cameras, Accessories from the Owner Manuals area.
Cheers
Brian.
LBA is good for you, a Lens a day helps you work, rest and play.

dexteruk

Link Posted 18/03/2006 - 17:41
how do you set the frequency on the IST D then? can't find anything in the manual about it...

Snapper

Link Posted 18/03/2006 - 17:47
McBrian wrote:
Quote:

The AF360FGZ has 4 selectable frequencies, the channel No has to be set to same as the camera body. You can download the manual at http://www.pentaximaging.com/customer_care/manuals_literature, select Cameras, Accessories from the Owner Manuals area.

______
That was great Brian, some 30 odd pages to print out and I have, unfortunately, run out of 'black' ink..but never the less I can still read by scrolling down, but oh my!, ain't it somewhat baffling, gone of days when one used a small FP5 flash bulb, I could have said 'flash powder' and a folding bellows kodak brownie but that would have given away my age.. ..

Thank you Brian, your assistance has been of great value

John

Mannesty

Link Posted 18/03/2006 - 18:35
dexteruk wrote:
how do you set the frequency on the IST D then? can't find anything in the manual about it...

I can't remember exactly but it is a simple as setting the channel on one device, camera or flash (that's the bit I can't remember) and then just mount the flash on the camera. One sets the other to match. The idea is that you could have two camera/flash setups in a studio and they would not interfere with each other if on different channels.
Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream

MattMatic

Link Posted 18/03/2006 - 20:10
For wireless between the AF360 and the *ist-D you need to read these pages of the AF360 manual:

1) Page 49. The AF360 can be triggered in dumb slave mode (that's Slave2) or in intelligent P-TTL mode (that's Slave1 - which is the mode you must use for the *ist-D).

2) Pages 44, 45. This tells you how to set the AF360 channel - it's when you put the flash on the camera, the camera picks up the channel number.

It's not difficult, you just have to follow the instructions (which sometimes read a little strangely!)

The only thing that's slightly different is that for the *ist-D you just keep pressing the flash mode button (by the top LCD panel) until the "W" appears in the LCD... oh yes, and make sure you pop up the flash!

As a final note, there's a custom setting in the *ist-D which disables the pop-up flash in wireless mode. When disabled, the pop-up contributes almost no light to the image (except for a tiny burst which appears as a very helpful catchlight in the eyes). The default is for both the pop-up and the AF360 to add to the exposure

PLEASE NOTE: only the *ist-D supports wireless flash with the built in pop-up flash. With the *ist-DL and *ist-DS you need two AF360 flashguns to perform wireless flash (as outlined on page 42 & 43 of the manual)!!

Matt

George Lazarette

Link Posted 18/03/2006 - 21:30
MattMatic wrote:

As a final note, there's a custom setting in the *ist-D which disables the pop-up flash in wireless mode. When disabled, the pop-up contributes almost no light to the image (except for a tiny burst which appears as a very helpful catchlight in the eyes). The default is for both the pop-up and the AF360 to add to the exposure

Matt

This tiny burst is, of course, what triggers the 360 to fire.

I sympathise with your problems. There is no feedback from the camera to tell you that you are on the right track, but eventually you will find, to your intense relief, that you have at last done everything right, and it all works.

I bought my 360 second-hand, and was on the point of taking it back when it suddenly decided to cooperate. I suspect that my nice camera shelf, with plenty of Pentax cousins nearby, was a more attractive proposition than the dusty shop window in full view of Canon shooters, and other vulgar types.

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.

MattMatic

Link Posted 18/03/2006 - 21:44
Quote:
...when it suddenly decided to cooperate.

And it cooperates much better with the *ist-D with the firmware 1.12

LOL @ George's comments

Matt
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.