AF200T and K-m

Dangermouse

Link Posted 06/07/2010 - 14:02
I finally tried my K-m with an external flash (an AF200T), and it worked rather better than expected!

The AF200T doesn't have a bounce head, but it does have variable power in Manual mode as well as TTL and the old red/green auto settings so it's a very good choice if you want a small, cheap flash. The interesting part? The red/green auto modes seem to work. TTL obviously doesn't as the digital bodies use P-TTL, but when I turn the flash on in red or green mode the camera sets the aperture and then chooses a sensible shutter speed. It seems to be about right for exposure although I've only tried a few test shots so far.

Weirdly my AF200S has the same red/green modes but only works as a manual flash with the K-m. I'm therefore considering looking for an AF280T as it should have the same functions but with the ability to bounce the light off ceilings or similar.
Matt

Shooting the Welsh Wilderness with K-m, KX, MX, ME Super and assorted lenses.
Last Edited by Dangermouse on 06/07/2010 - 14:02

Algernon

Link Posted 06/07/2010 - 14:26
I've said before on here that the AF200T is a superb little flashgun and everybody should have at least one. It's the only gun I've got that has accurate 1/2, 1/4, 1/8 settings (checked with a Shepherd 1/3 stop flashmeter).

You can always put a piece of card in front to bounce, but your better with a diffuser. I've got the AFT1 Tele extension piece and I've stuck a piece of diffusion plastic on it.

Alternatively and by far the best hold a bowl made out of diffusing plastic in front.

I bought 2 bowls and lids from Homebase for 4.50 and they are brilliant for diffusing light. The plastic band/wrapper holding them together in the shop is also good diffusion material and what I taped in front of the AFT1 using Scotch Magic Tape (it doesn't ooze like Sellotape). I've stuck some in front of all my other flashguns.
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
Last Edited by Algernon on 06/07/2010 - 14:29

Algernon

Link Posted 06/07/2010 - 15:01
The exact wording on the label for the Homebase bowls is:

"SET OF 2 WHITE LIDDED BOWLS"

Superb diffusers.

Algi

Dangermouse

Link Posted 06/07/2010 - 15:11
I might look at making a diffuser - would greaseproof paper be a suitable material?
Matt

Algernon

Link Posted 06/07/2010 - 15:24
That's OK or a 1 litre milk container.

Algi

SteveF

Link Posted 06/07/2010 - 22:40
+1 for the usefulness, versatility and size advantage of the AF200T from a happy owner.

Dangermouse

Link Posted 06/07/2010 - 23:32
I may still keep my eyes open for an AF280T as the bounce flash would be handy. I just don't see the point in spending 60 on one when I don't use flash all that much anyway. The AF200T should be an improvement on the built-in flash as it is.

From what I can see of the Cobra flashguns they don't have the green/red auto modes? This would make them a bit useless for me as obviously TTL doesn't work with the K-m, but the older auto modes (a protocol dating from the Super A days IIRC?) do work. I mention Cobra as I have a side mount bracket for one of their flashes, but no flash to go with it. I think it was intended for the generation before the "AF" suffixed flashguns.
Matt

Pentaxophile

Link Posted 06/07/2010 - 23:58
I don't think mine has the auto modes. However if you're bouncing the flash, its easy to get the exposure right manually and those settings will then work more or less wherever you are in the room, because the illumination is so even. A bit more trial and error is needed for direct flash.
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]

SteveF

Link Posted 07/07/2010 - 10:47
I got my 280T from eBay for less than 30, so keep looking!

Dangermouse

Link Posted 07/07/2010 - 14:15
Can't right now, I found a K 28-50mm for 25 this morning which will be going on my KX...

One question about the AF200T. The on/off switch has a position marked with a musical note. I understand that this has something to do with auto exposure and it does occasionally make beeping noises when set to this. What I don't know is whether a lack of beeps means:

The flash has managed to talk to the camera straight away, hence no beeps as they signify flash and camera negotiating

The flash has tried to talk to the camera but given up

The beeper has a loose wire

Any ideas? I always get the blinking flash icon in the viewfinder and the camera switches to the correct aperture when the flash is ready (which is enough to tell me that it's talking), I'm just a bit baffled by the beeping noise.
Matt

Algernon

Link Posted 07/07/2010 - 14:44
The musical note position checks if the subject is within Auto range when you press the check button. Your better ignoring it and just push the switch to the top on position. I never use Auto flash anyway, never have done.

28-50mm seems a very strange choice in a K as well? I've got the 24-50mm A series, but haven't used it much. I used to like the 24-50mm F in my SFXn days even though it was a bit soft.

Algi

Dangermouse

Link Posted 07/07/2010 - 16:14
Not really - I expect it to be quite handy on film as it goes from wide angle to a standard 50mm (and also covers the "perfect" 43mm). Given I mostly shoot landscapes it'll be a useful range. The same lens was later rebranded as an M series, however according to the photos this is the original and slightly rare K version.

I don't tend to use the manual zooms on digital other than a few test shots to make sure that the lens is behaving itself.

Thanks for the advice on the switch - it would explain why it doesn't always beep as I've been taking photos from various distances. The green auto mode is surprisingly handy as most lenses hit a sweet spot at about f8, you just have to be a bit careful not to select red auto mode with lenses that can't open up to f4 as it won't work!
Matt

Last Edited by Dangermouse on 07/07/2010 - 16:17

Algernon

Link Posted 07/07/2010 - 17:05
Keep your eye out for a KIRON 28-105mm f/3.2-4.5 MACRO
I got a mint/boxed one for 19 on ebay similar to the Vivitar 28-105mm
made by Cosina. A few of the Kirons were also sold as Vivitars
but the original is probably slightly better.

Algi

Dangermouse

Link Posted 11/07/2010 - 16:45
Now have an AF240Z on the way, which looks as though it should work. It has a bounce head and two or three program modes (different aperture depending on which mode and ISO you set) along with manual mode.
Matt

Paulcollins

Link Posted 19/08/2010 - 21:09
So can I use a AF200S or a AF200t on my KM without frying this beauty.
Paul
Pentax K10d, KM, kit lens 18-55,Sigma 28-80, Sigma 55-200, Sigma70/300 APO , Tamron 400mm Prime, Cosinon 135 prime,Ricoh 55mm.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.