Advice required
Posted 19/01/2011 - 17:17
Link
ricoh is apparently releasing a 4/3 modual for its module camera..
Nikon has a competitor to the canon g12 that is worth looking at.
then there is the g12
what bout the Pentax x90?
you are troll.
Nikon has a competitor to the canon g12 that is worth looking at.
then there is the g12
what bout the Pentax x90?
you are troll.
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.
Posted 19/01/2011 - 17:18
Link
Just to add another variable, have you thought about a Fuji bridge camera?
I had one before progressing to the K20, they are good build and IQ with enormous zoom ranges.
Not as small as a compact, but maybe the in-between size that may come in useful.
Davex.
I had one before progressing to the K20, they are good build and IQ with enormous zoom ranges.
Not as small as a compact, but maybe the in-between size that may come in useful.
Davex.
Posted 19/01/2011 - 17:23
Link
The confusion arises because you're torn between wanting too many things. There are lots of exciting cameras out there and we can't own them all....
Now you might be an equipment freak, in which case but whatever you fancy, because next week it will be something else....
Or, you might want to take pictures, in which case:
Main camera: Pentax K-r with 18-55mm amd 55-300mm lenses. This is for when you have some photography definitely in mind.
Pocket camera: Pentax W90. This can be carried everywhere, always. The added bonus will be the shockproof and waterproof construction, so you will be safe with it on the beach or under water, or even if it rains. This will augment your main camera.
A small bag to hold the DSLR kit and total resistance to buying anything else until you have fully explored this kit, which is IMHO far more practical and cost effective than the off-beat niche market cameras that you list.
Now you might be an equipment freak, in which case but whatever you fancy, because next week it will be something else....
Or, you might want to take pictures, in which case:
Main camera: Pentax K-r with 18-55mm amd 55-300mm lenses. This is for when you have some photography definitely in mind.
Pocket camera: Pentax W90. This can be carried everywhere, always. The added bonus will be the shockproof and waterproof construction, so you will be safe with it on the beach or under water, or even if it rains. This will augment your main camera.
A small bag to hold the DSLR kit and total resistance to buying anything else until you have fully explored this kit, which is IMHO far more practical and cost effective than the off-beat niche market cameras that you list.
Best regards, John
Posted 19/01/2011 - 17:24
Link
Don wrote:
ricoh is apparently releasing a 4/3 modual for its module camera..
Nikon has a competitor to the canon g12 that is worth looking at.
then there is the g12
what bout the Pentax x90?
you are troll.
Thanks Don (all except the troll bit!).ricoh is apparently releasing a 4/3 modual for its module camera..
Nikon has a competitor to the canon g12 that is worth looking at.
then there is the g12
what bout the Pentax x90?
you are troll.
The 4/3 module for the Ricoh sounds intriguing, I had heard about a potential LEica M module but my pockets aren't that deep!
I think the Nikon you mean is the P7000. The feature set is great, but reports of RAW writing times in the region of 5-6 seconds (during which time you can't use the camera) has put me off.
You know I hadn't even thought about traditional bridge cameras like the X90, you've given me something (more !) to think about there...
If you can't say something nice about Pentax, you won't say anything at all.
Apparently.
Apparently.
Posted 19/01/2011 - 17:29
Link
I couldn't resist making wise with the cracks there!
I like bridge cameras.
I used to have a canon pro one, was an ok camera. deceitful for Canon to market that lens as an "L" lens, the g5 was better, if more limited in focal length...
I like bridge cameras.
I used to have a canon pro one, was an ok camera. deceitful for Canon to market that lens as an "L" lens, the g5 was better, if more limited in focal length...
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.
Posted 19/01/2011 - 17:39
Link
johnriley wrote:
The confusion arises because you're torn between wanting too many things. There are lots of exciting cameras out there and we can't own them all....
Now you might be an equipment freak, in which case but whatever you fancy, because next week it will be something else....
Or, you might want to take pictures, in which case:
Main camera: Pentax K-r with 18-55mm amd 55-300mm lenses. This is for when you have some photography definitely in mind.
Pocket camera: Pentax W90. This can be carried everywhere, always. The added bonus will be the shockproof and waterproof construction, so you will be safe with it on the beach or under water, or even if it rains. This will augment your main camera.
A small bag to hold the DSLR kit and total resistance to buying anything else until you have fully explored this kit, which is IMHO far more practical and cost effective than the off-beat niche market cameras that you list.
Thanks for the comprehensive (if slightly patronising - see bolded) reply John.The confusion arises because you're torn between wanting too many things. There are lots of exciting cameras out there and we can't own them all....
Now you might be an equipment freak, in which case but whatever you fancy, because next week it will be something else....
Or, you might want to take pictures, in which case:
Main camera: Pentax K-r with 18-55mm amd 55-300mm lenses. This is for when you have some photography definitely in mind.
Pocket camera: Pentax W90. This can be carried everywhere, always. The added bonus will be the shockproof and waterproof construction, so you will be safe with it on the beach or under water, or even if it rains. This will augment your main camera.
A small bag to hold the DSLR kit and total resistance to buying anything else until you have fully explored this kit, which is IMHO far more practical and cost effective than the off-beat niche market cameras that you list.
I understand where you're coming from but:
a). I'm not looking to go down the DSLR route. Baby on way and space is going to be at a premium when out and about. A bag full of camera, lenses and bits and bobs will not be feasible. I've also enjoyed the fact that since shifting away from a DSLR you attract far less attention (a good thing in my book).
b). You may think I'm just an equipment freak, but I believe I've carefully identified what I want to do (augment my current camera's capability), and I don't "want too many things" (I'm merely pointing out that some options offer certain advantages and others offer others). I'm not naive enough to think there is one perfect camera. There isn't.
c). Whilst what you suggest may be practical and cost effective (except the buying two cameras bit), sometimes you want more than practical and cost effective. It is possible (though you may disagree) to have a piece of kit that means a bit more, that stirs the soul, and that makes you forget the shortcomings. Perhaps I'm just a hopeless romantic. Or perhaps I'm right.
d). As I mentioned I am looking at keeping the E-P1, it's lovely. So two new cameras isn't really on the agenda.
e). With regards not buying nothing else until I have fully explored my kit, I find it strange you've never offered this advice to anyone else contemplating a purchase on this site.
I do take the point about the advantage of a true "go anywhere" camera like the W90 though. Food for thought.
If you can't say something nice about Pentax, you won't say anything at all.
Apparently.
Apparently.
Posted 19/01/2011 - 17:41
Link
ps if you can wait...
Nikon is apparently releasing a "PRO" mirrorless camera soon, apparently a poor mans Leica...
Samsung has my attention with thier intent to get into 4k video resolutions....! (never mind the fact that they may release a 700mm super tele for the nx)
link
Nikon is apparently releasing a "PRO" mirrorless camera soon, apparently a poor mans Leica...
Samsung has my attention with thier intent to get into 4k video resolutions....! (never mind the fact that they may release a 700mm super tele for the nx)
link
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.
Posted 19/01/2011 - 19:33
Link
I've also been looking for a quality compact but I've yet to find one with all the features I would like; I'm sure one will come along soon.
FWIW this is my personal list of pros and cons of the main contenders-
I like the idea of the Olympus XZ-1 because it seems like a long overdue update of the C5050 which also had a quality 1.8 lens and produced stunning results. That was my first digital camera 7 years ago and exceeded my expectations in every respect bar one - durabilty. It broke after 3 years careful use.
I'm sure the G12 will give good results (my son-in-law has a G9 and it is very good) but it is a tad large and I would have liked a faster lens.
The LX5 has a lot going for it but is maybe a bit small to get a decent grip and does not have an articulated screen, which is a feature I find handy. Same for the S95.
The EX-1 fits very nicely in the hand and seemed to have it all - until I read a review that said it was not very good at controlling noise.
So I'll carry on using my Sony TX5 as a pocket camera for now. The images are not up to the standard of any of the above but it is waterproof and tough (though not as tough as they claim, my daughter dropped it onto the kitchen floor and it now has a dark area at the edge of each shot - hey, ho)
FWIW this is my personal list of pros and cons of the main contenders-
I like the idea of the Olympus XZ-1 because it seems like a long overdue update of the C5050 which also had a quality 1.8 lens and produced stunning results. That was my first digital camera 7 years ago and exceeded my expectations in every respect bar one - durabilty. It broke after 3 years careful use.
I'm sure the G12 will give good results (my son-in-law has a G9 and it is very good) but it is a tad large and I would have liked a faster lens.
The LX5 has a lot going for it but is maybe a bit small to get a decent grip and does not have an articulated screen, which is a feature I find handy. Same for the S95.
The EX-1 fits very nicely in the hand and seemed to have it all - until I read a review that said it was not very good at controlling noise.
So I'll carry on using my Sony TX5 as a pocket camera for now. The images are not up to the standard of any of the above but it is waterproof and tough (though not as tough as they claim, my daughter dropped it onto the kitchen floor and it now has a dark area at the edge of each shot - hey, ho)
Regards, Philip
Posted 19/01/2011 - 20:43
Link
I'd stick with m43 if I was you. The best bargains out there are probably the GH1 with 14-140 lens - often cheaper than just the lens by itself and capable of stunning HD video that should get wifely-approval if used for lots of baby moments!
I'd dump your current lens and get the Panasonic 20mm instead. And if funds allow, consider the mZuiko collapsable 9-18 lens which is a good performer and astonishingly small when stowed.
I'd dump your current lens and get the Panasonic 20mm instead. And if funds allow, consider the mZuiko collapsable 9-18 lens which is a good performer and astonishingly small when stowed.
Posted 19/01/2011 - 21:03
Link
JonSchick wrote:
I'd stick with m43 if I was you. The best bargains out there are probably the GH1 with 14-140 lens - often cheaper than just the lens by itself and capable of stunning HD video that should get wifely-approval if used for lots of baby moments!
I'd dump your current lens and get the Panasonic 20mm instead. And if funds allow, consider the mZuiko collapsable 9-18 lens which is a good performer and astonishingly small when stowed.
Thanks Jon, some good advice worth considering there.I'd stick with m43 if I was you. The best bargains out there are probably the GH1 with 14-140 lens - often cheaper than just the lens by itself and capable of stunning HD video that should get wifely-approval if used for lots of baby moments!
I'd dump your current lens and get the Panasonic 20mm instead. And if funds allow, consider the mZuiko collapsable 9-18 lens which is a good performer and astonishingly small when stowed.
Although most reviews prefer the 20mm lens, the 17mm does have a character of its own which I like, plus I have the set with the VF-1 viewfinder which I wouldn't want to break up.
Can't believe the price of the GH-1 at the moment considering the prices on release. By all accounts it's a cracking camera (especially where video is concerned), if a little bulkier than I was aiming for.
If you can't say something nice about Pentax, you won't say anything at all.
Apparently.
Apparently.
Posted 19/01/2011 - 22:24
Link
Quote:
With regards not buying nothing else until I have fully explored my kit, I find it strange you've never offered this advice to anyone else contemplating a purchase on this site
I actually always offer this advice....well at least not buying anything else until the basic kit lens has been fully explored. Then the next step tends to suggest itself.
With regards not buying nothing else until I have fully explored my kit, I find it strange you've never offered this advice to anyone else contemplating a purchase on this site
Best regards, John
Posted 20/01/2011 - 10:16
Link
johnriley wrote:
To be fair, I've shot with nothing but one lens for a few months now, I'm fairly confident that I've established what it can and can't do, and what I would like from an additional camera (different focal length and/or reduced size being the main ones).Quote:
With regards not buying nothing else until I have fully explored my kit, I find it strange you've never offered this advice to anyone else contemplating a purchase on this site
I actually always offer this advice....well at least not buying anything else until the basic kit lens has been fully explored. Then the next step tends to suggest itself.With regards not buying nothing else until I have fully explored my kit, I find it strange you've never offered this advice to anyone else contemplating a purchase on this site
Whilst I did enjoy the results from shooting with my K-m and K20d, the actual shooting experience wasn't always pleasurable. This isn't to say the functionality of the cameras was in any way suspect, quite the opposite, but more my own opinion on day to day shooting with a DSLR (the attention it brings, space it takes up, etc.), I found it didn't really suit me and my needs. Whilst the cameras I've listed may seem off-beat and niche, I have put a lot of thought into this whole process.
Come to think of it, part of the reason I originally chose Pentax is that they could be considered a little off-beat and niche compared to "The Big Two"!
If you can't say something nice about Pentax, you won't say anything at all.
Apparently.
Apparently.
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


1569 posts
17 years
Victory Mansions
Since selling my Pentax gear (to raise baby funds), I've been shooting with an Olympus E-P1 + 17mm pancake lens which has served me well and produced pleasing results.
The one problem however is that I'm finding more and more that it falls between two (or three) stools in that:
Image quality not quite up to current APS-C standard (not helped by native M4/3 glass which is good but not great). I accept that virtually any lens can be put on M4/3 via adaptor but there are compromises.
Fixed focal range whilst liberating can be frustrating at times if (like me) you have one camera with one focal length. I appreciate I could buy a zoom lens, but by the time you do that the size benefit of M4/3 is largely eroded.
Whilst much more compact than a DSLR kit, there are times when I yearn for something smaller.
With all that in mind I'm looking to add another camera to my arsenal. I'm intending on keeping the E-P1, it's a charming camera and already a bit of a design classic, plus it's video is pretty good which will be beneficial when baby arrives (and means I won't have to rely on new camera having good video). This will also mean that my partner and I will have two cameras between us (she currently doesn't have one of her own but loves the E-P1).
I've become a little trapped in the mire looking at all the various options available to me. The broad options I'm considering are as follows:
1). Enthusiast compact (e.g. G12/S95/LX5/EX-1/XZ-1 etc. You know the sort). This would provide me with a bit more pocketability (even the G12 is smaller than M4/3 with an equivalent zoom) and versatility (all have a zoom, two have tiltable screens, etc.). Ok they do have small sensors, but I've seen some great output from this class of camera, and I use LR3 which helps with the noise issues these cameras often have.
2). Another big sensor/(fairly) small body camera at a different focal length. This could be soemthing along the lines of the Sigma DP2s (at times jaw dropping photos but slightly suspect UI), Ricoh GXR with the APS-C modules (nice but costly), or another (newer) M4/3 body. Obviously better image quality than the first group with size the trade-off.
3). Wildcard. Been hearing great things for a while about the Ricoh GRD III. Compact, small sensor with a fast fixed lens (f1.9 28mm equivalent). Plenty of limitations, but great manual control & build quality, and seems capable of great images (esp. B&W).
I'm just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this complete hotch-potch of ideas and ramblings. Whether anyone has found themselves in a similar situation, or has has experience of any of the cameras I've mentioned or has an option I've overlooked.
Any input gratefully received (unless its calling me a troll or such like).
Apparently.