Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Advice needed on getting lenses for ME Super

pmitchell
Posted 29/05/2003 - 10:30 Link
I have just acquired an ME Super and am thinking about getting a zoom lens for it.
Having made this tentative decision, confusion now reigns as terms like "bayonet" crop up...

Can anyone help clarify
a) What type of lens structure I need?
b) What brands to look out for?
c) I am thinking of trying to get something up to 200mm - is this a versatile place to start or is there something else people would recommend?
d) Where are the best places to get hold of lenses (I live in London) and how much should I be looking to pay?

Any help much appreciated!

Best regards,

Paul
MattMatic
Posted 29/05/2003 - 12:09 Link
Paul,

You'll have no problem getting lenses for the ME Super.

Yes, it is bayonet (not M42 screw thread - that was for the older cameras). If you are looking for the fitting symbol, you need "PK" (as in Pentax K fit). Note that even though the ME Super is manual focus you can still use the autofocus lenses (ie "PAF"), but you'll have to focus them

Lenses that I have used in either PK or PAF variants: Tokina, Pentax, Sigma, and Vivitar (Series 1). Other lenses are well reported, such as Tamron.

You need to weigh up the size, minimum f-stop, sharpness, weight of the lens. As with all things some things will make you shudder, while others you'll love - you have to try them!

As far as lense range goes, it depends what you are taking! The "standard" zoom range these days is 28-200mm. Personallly, I find 20mm and 24mm very very nice for landscapes and "arty" shots, while a 300mm comes in very handy for outdoor shots of animals and people.

There is a huge amount of second hand lenses on the net. Some places give a good warranty too - definitely worth the effort. Try:
www.mxv.co.uk www.parkcameras.co.uk www.ffordes.co.uk www.clocktowercameras.co.uk
(I've dealt with the top three with great success)

There'll be a ton in London too, plus the usual Jessops chain.
Maybe try doing a Google seach within the UK...

Hope that helps,
Matt
http://www.mattmatic.co.uk
(For gallery, tips and links)
johnriley
Posted 29/05/2003 - 22:52 Link
I am very much of the opinion that you will be best served by buying only Pentax lenses. The reasons are:

Consistent colour balance lens to lens
Fairly uniform filter sizes - with careful choices you can end up almost exclusively using 49mm filters
Speed of operation - all the focusing rings and aperture rings will turn in the same direction (only Nikon apertures are the same way round as Pentax)
Better physical matching of lens to mount
Superb and consistent optical and mechanical quality

There are masses of second hand Pentax lenses available, and I'm sure that you will not be disappointed. Happy hunting!
Best regards, John
pmitchell
Posted 30/05/2003 - 09:00 Link
Matt & John - Thanks very much for your help. The fog is cleared!

Regards

Paul

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.