Advice needed for a studio set up please
Posted 27/04/2011 - 11:44
Link
Thanks for replies so far. I suppose this begs the question is the kit I have identified good enough for what I wNt? If so I would be happy to go through thr trial and error exercise with it untill I know how it works and how to get the best out of it. A course is also something I would be prepared to go on.
https://pentaxphotogallery.com" target="_blank">
https://pentaxphotogallery.com/images/black_link_small.jpg" alt="See my photos featured in the PENTAX Photogallery" />
Posted 27/04/2011 - 11:58
Link
Perhaps Mannesty doesn't remember you Karl, as you certainly have experience of photography I'm guesing you meant 'studio photography'.
IMO if you want to try and learn it all online (which is totally possible) then Strobist's Lighting 101 is a good place to start. There's a prominent link on the Strobist homepage.
IMO if you want to try and learn it all online (which is totally possible) then Strobist's Lighting 101 is a good place to start. There's a prominent link on the Strobist homepage.
Tim
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27”, Macbook Pro 17”, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr • Fluidr • PPG • Street • Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27”, Macbook Pro 17”, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr • Fluidr • PPG • Street • Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
Posted 27/04/2011 - 12:07
Link
Before forking out £250 to 'experiment' I would take a course about the basics of lighting first. You also will need on top wireless triggers (unless you want to fall over your cables), accessory's for the flash system, reflectors and the list goes on and on.
That's only for starters.
You do not necessary need the budget option for yourself as they are workaround's and if you want to look at hire out the 'studio' then you will need something more substantial and better then a garage.
Just think about winter time. It will be cold and moist which will do the equipment no good. You will need a proper room at the very least, it will need to be painted, you will need sockets and some working platform etc.
There will be plenty of hire studios in Leeds. Call up a couple and have a look at them (usually they let you have a look before you hire), that will give you an idea what you let yourself in for, if you want to hire it out.
A proper (Large) Garden House would be a better idea then any garage and it will have less draft and dust.
There is much more to even a small studio then just the 'Studio Flash'!
That's only for starters.
You do not necessary need the budget option for yourself as they are workaround's and if you want to look at hire out the 'studio' then you will need something more substantial and better then a garage.
Just think about winter time. It will be cold and moist which will do the equipment no good. You will need a proper room at the very least, it will need to be painted, you will need sockets and some working platform etc.
There will be plenty of hire studios in Leeds. Call up a couple and have a look at them (usually they let you have a look before you hire), that will give you an idea what you let yourself in for, if you want to hire it out.
A proper (Large) Garden House would be a better idea then any garage and it will have less draft and dust.
There is much more to even a small studio then just the 'Studio Flash'!
Kind regards
SmutjeUK
It's nice to be nice!
Pentax K-5 with D-GB4 Grip, to many lenses to mention by now (serious LBA by now), TC's, Lowepro Slingshot 300 AW, Manfrotto 028 & Redsnapper RS-283 with various Heads plus various Camera Clamps (I collect them). Pentax AF 360FGZ, Pentax AF 240FT, several Metz 45 CT-1 & 5 with stands and 'Blow Up' Soft Boxes, Flash Triggers, and various Macro gear.
SmutjeUK
It's nice to be nice!
Pentax K-5 with D-GB4 Grip, to many lenses to mention by now (serious LBA by now), TC's, Lowepro Slingshot 300 AW, Manfrotto 028 & Redsnapper RS-283 with various Heads plus various Camera Clamps (I collect them). Pentax AF 360FGZ, Pentax AF 240FT, several Metz 45 CT-1 & 5 with stands and 'Blow Up' Soft Boxes, Flash Triggers, and various Macro gear.
Posted 27/04/2011 - 12:16
Link
Personally, I would learn to use lighting first before spending cash
Even a couple of cheap halogen lights (e.g. Ikea) and some sheets of polystyrene from your local Comet/Curries can be used to great effect!
I've seen professional quality portraits done with nothing but available lighting and kitchen-foil-covered polystyrene.
Once you know the 'how', then you'll be better placed for the 'what' equipment question
Matt
Even a couple of cheap halogen lights (e.g. Ikea) and some sheets of polystyrene from your local Comet/Curries can be used to great effect!
I've seen professional quality portraits done with nothing but available lighting and kitchen-foil-covered polystyrene.
Once you know the 'how', then you'll be better placed for the 'what' equipment question
Matt
http://www.mattmatic.co.uk
(For gallery, tips and links)
(For gallery, tips and links)
Posted 27/04/2011 - 12:26
Link
That's good advice Matt. A single desk lamp and reflector can be enough to make professional portraits.
Thyere are plenty of books on portraiture to help the beginner and many of them will show sample lighting set-ups as well.
The idea of hiring a studio to have a go is also excellent.
How about joining a camera club and trying out their portrait nights?
Thyere are plenty of books on portraiture to help the beginner and many of them will show sample lighting set-ups as well.
The idea of hiring a studio to have a go is also excellent.
How about joining a camera club and trying out their portrait nights?
Best regards, John
Posted 27/04/2011 - 12:43
Link
All good advice, it's appreciated!
https://pentaxphotogallery.com" target="_blank">
https://pentaxphotogallery.com/images/black_link_small.jpg" alt="See my photos featured in the PENTAX Photogallery" />
Posted 27/04/2011 - 14:32
Link
This site offers quite good advice for beginners: link. The kit you are looking at would need to be supplemented, if I was buying it, by a reflector, another stand with a reflector arm, a snoot and barn doors. The 50 watt modelling lamps are a total waste of time, you need 250W.
However you can get really excellent results with one light and a reflector.
The couch maybe isn't such a great idea because people will slouch, bar stools make people sit up straight.
However you can get really excellent results with one light and a reflector.
The couch maybe isn't such a great idea because people will slouch, bar stools make people sit up straight.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
Posted 27/04/2011 - 14:42
Link
well karl you are in luck, if you aren't in a hurry...
I built one studio for web tv and photography for a national magazine, and we did it on a budget and in a warehouse.
I am now building a second studio..... similar in size to what you are doing, and will youtube a video of the build next month, so get practicing with your camera!
I built one studio for web tv and photography for a national magazine, and we did it on a budget and in a warehouse.
I am now building a second studio..... similar in size to what you are doing, and will youtube a video of the build next month, so get practicing with your camera!
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.
Posted 27/04/2011 - 18:21
Link
Cheers Don, I also work in the building and construction trade so knocking up a few stud walls and plastering is something I do on a regular basis.
Your video would be interesting. Thanks!
And thanks for the link Gartmore.
Your video would be interesting. Thanks!
And thanks for the link Gartmore.
https://pentaxphotogallery.com" target="_blank">
https://pentaxphotogallery.com/images/black_link_small.jpg" alt="See my photos featured in the PENTAX Photogallery" />
Posted 27/04/2011 - 20:43
Link
my personal experience tells me that:
- 200Ws isn't actually all that much
- modifiers cost more than lights
- it's quite possible to do nice portraits with a single light and reflector if you're not looking for a white background.
- lighting the background is the single most difficult part
the flash centre will also loan you a D-lite kit for a week for less than fifty quid and you'll get it back if you buy from them.
Bret
- 200Ws isn't actually all that much
- modifiers cost more than lights
- it's quite possible to do nice portraits with a single light and reflector if you're not looking for a white background.
- lighting the background is the single most difficult part
the flash centre will also loan you a D-lite kit for a week for less than fifty quid and you'll get it back if you buy from them.
Bret
my pics: link
my kit: K3, K5, K-01, DA 18-55, D-FA50 macro, Siggy 30/1.4, 100-300/f4, 70-200/2.8, Samsung 12-24/f4, Tamron 17-50, and lots of other bits.
my kit: K3, K5, K-01, DA 18-55, D-FA50 macro, Siggy 30/1.4, 100-300/f4, 70-200/2.8, Samsung 12-24/f4, Tamron 17-50, and lots of other bits.
Posted 27/04/2011 - 21:02
Link
Karl wrote:
Cheers Don, I also work in the building and construction trade so knocking up a few stud walls and plastering is something I do on a regular basis.
Your video would be interesting. Thanks!
And thanks for the link Gartmore.
actually Photography is my trade. Cheers Don, I also work in the building and construction trade so knocking up a few stud walls and plastering is something I do on a regular basis.
Your video would be interesting. Thanks!
And thanks for the link Gartmore.
but I grew up poor. many times in life the solution is to build it yourself or do without... when you are poor.
I'm not wealthy (if you count your wealth by dollars, which I do not) but old habits die hard.... I love build, invent or fix things!
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.
Posted 28/04/2011 - 02:02
Link
For good and inexpensive lighting, I'd seriously consider "Elemental", but only after you have gained some experience with flashes. That way, you'll be more likely able to evaluate your needs properly.
One thing I find very important in a studio is a changing/privacy room for the model(s), especially if you want to tackle "nudes". Quite a few models are comfortable enough with their body to pose nude without problems, but they don't necessarily like to dress/undress in the "public" area.
One point that's also often overlooked in home studio is a washroom with toilet. Time flies when you're taking pictures with an interesting model, and sooner or later, nature will call you or the model(s), and, personally, I don't like models invading the privacy of my house.
As for creature comfort, you'll also need extra heating apparatus, especially if you tackle nudes (more so in a garage in winter). Shivering models aren't that attractive, and cloning out/cleaning up goose bumps is not my idea of a good evening.
It's also a good idea to have a refrigerator on hand to keep cool beverages on hot summer days.
So, as you can see, lighting is only the first of the many things you'll have to fix to make your "studio" a practical one. And I skipped some other extras that make it more friendly.
One thing I find very important in a studio is a changing/privacy room for the model(s), especially if you want to tackle "nudes". Quite a few models are comfortable enough with their body to pose nude without problems, but they don't necessarily like to dress/undress in the "public" area.
One point that's also often overlooked in home studio is a washroom with toilet. Time flies when you're taking pictures with an interesting model, and sooner or later, nature will call you or the model(s), and, personally, I don't like models invading the privacy of my house.
As for creature comfort, you'll also need extra heating apparatus, especially if you tackle nudes (more so in a garage in winter). Shivering models aren't that attractive, and cloning out/cleaning up goose bumps is not my idea of a good evening.
It's also a good idea to have a refrigerator on hand to keep cool beverages on hot summer days.
So, as you can see, lighting is only the first of the many things you'll have to fix to make your "studio" a practical one. And I skipped some other extras that make it more friendly.
Yves (another one of those crazy Canucks)
Posted 28/04/2011 - 02:15
Link
Good points Yves.... last time I did lingerie shots ( I generally don't do nudes), after building a set in my Garage, our camper trailer did "Rest room", "Dressing Room" and "Green Room" duty for the models.
as the studio I'm doing right now has multimedia uses including video and sound, there will be a few extras vs a straight forward photo studio... Halogen lights, cfls, daylight and Elinchrom strobes will all be available for various projects.... along with store bought and home made light modifiers...
as the studio I'm doing right now has multimedia uses including video and sound, there will be a few extras vs a straight forward photo studio... Halogen lights, cfls, daylight and Elinchrom strobes will all be available for various projects.... along with store bought and home made light modifiers...
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


531 posts
17 years
Leeds,
The North
I have a back drop and a couch and I would like to set up to shoot portraits and body shots on the couch.
I do not have any experience with studio lighting or photography.
Furthermore I want to end up with shots that look commercially acceptable, ie as good or as close to professional studio shots - but on a tight budget.
I have seen this and wondered if it would fit the bill, or if I should be considering other options. http://www.srsmicrosystems.co.uk/528/Pro-Line-Apollo-180-Studio-Lighting-Kit.htm...
And are there any resources on the net that would help explain about studio set ups.
Initially it will be family and friends, but would like the option of having a set up that is sufficient to produce results where I can charge.
Any help and advice appreciated.