Advice about new kit
Posted 28/03/2014 - 12:29
Link
Years ago (before zooms really took off) the accepted wisdom for starters was you could photograph almost anything with just a pair of 28 and 135mm lenses and I think that's true. I still have an MX but I haven't shot film for a long time so can't really advise on that.
You might find a flash useful.
You might find a flash useful.
Posted 28/03/2014 - 12:54
Link
Not sure when that was accepted wisdom Russ, the 28mm lens didn't become the norm until the 1980s and the 135mm is a bit long for general purposes.
In the 1950s the standard set was 35mm-50mm-135mm. In the 1970s it became 28mm-50mm-135mm, but with a growing tendency towards 28mm-50mm-100mm.
It depended on what sort of photography you were doing of course. Kevin MacDonnell, writing in photography magazine, said if he used two lenses only they would be 24mm and 100mm.
My choice before zooms was 24mm-50mm-100mm.
In the 1950s the standard set was 35mm-50mm-135mm. In the 1970s it became 28mm-50mm-135mm, but with a growing tendency towards 28mm-50mm-100mm.
It depended on what sort of photography you were doing of course. Kevin MacDonnell, writing in photography magazine, said if he used two lenses only they would be 24mm and 100mm.
My choice before zooms was 24mm-50mm-100mm.
Best regards, John
Posted 28/03/2014 - 14:36
Link
Mine was 28 55 135
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
Posted 28/03/2014 - 15:53
Link
Quote:
Does the colour of the camera make a difference?
£10 difference on the MX. I always preferred the look of the black MX, but never had one in black. I now have a nice black MX-1 as consolation!
Does the colour of the camera make a difference?
Best regards, John
Posted 28/03/2014 - 20:27
Link
I'd love to see that 135m f1.3 lens!
Chris
Chris
Bring back the latent image!
Posted 30/03/2014 - 20:52
Link
The MX in black lovely, in the 1980s l used to shot with 28 50 135, these days 28, right through to 100
enjoy your MX
enjoy your MX
Posted 06/04/2014 - 08:49
Link
In 1980 my setup was an MX with 28mm, 50mm & 75-150mm zoom, this covered most of what I wanted to shoot.
Still have them in use today
Still have them in use today
Chris,
Pentax K1ii, K3, K-m & MX-1.
Pentax LX, MX, ME Super & MV.
"Old Skool" with the new!
Pentax K1ii, K3, K-m & MX-1.
Pentax LX, MX, ME Super & MV.
"Old Skool" with the new!
Posted 06/04/2014 - 11:14
Link
I have two MX -- both not working properly -- I wore out the flash contacts on one using it with flash for so long !! You can get C41 colour processing done by 'BOOTS' the chemists branches -- we have a good one here in Brentwood and Bill the operator KNOWS about photography and gets excellent prints from my outdated films -- then there are Pharmacies which deal with 'SigFoto Labs' and they are also excellent quality -- I will see if I can find a sample scan of a 6x4" BOOTS processed print ---
BOOTS print -- No colour cast here and it was 2005 outdated Tudor 100

MZ-5 Prints 04 par pentaxpete, sur Flickr
SIGFOTO print -- outdated Fuji Reala 100

Fruit Girl par pentaxpete, sur Flickr
These were on my 1996 Pentax MZ-5 I was given
BOOTS print -- No colour cast here and it was 2005 outdated Tudor 100

MZ-5 Prints 04 par pentaxpete, sur Flickr
SIGFOTO print -- outdated Fuji Reala 100

Fruit Girl par pentaxpete, sur Flickr
These were on my 1996 Pentax MZ-5 I was given
Been a member of Pentax Club since the Ron Spillman era! Got COMPUTERISED at last - DIGITISED?
Taken the PLUNGE - BUT FILM STILL RULES !!!
Taken the PLUNGE - BUT FILM STILL RULES !!!
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


1 posts
12 years