Adobe Lightroom 4 - Missing lens profiles

Mannesty

Link Posted 30/11/2012 - 14:07
Having recently purchased a Sigma 70-200mm 1:2.8 EX DG OS HSM lens I've been a bit disappointed that Lightroom seems not to recognize it, neither does it recognize my 180mm Macro lens.

Strange then that the zoom lens is included in this list of supported lenses and has been supported since version 3.0

Any ideas why my lens is not recognized in Lightroom 4.2?

EDIT: I have found the the lens profile for this lens does exist in Lightroom, but I have to select it manually, presumably because the lens is not recognised by Lightroom 4.2

I'm wondering if this is more a Pentax issue, perhaps the camera is not passing the lens data to Lightroom?

Photome displays:- Lens: Unknown (Lens Id: 8 23)
Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream
Last Edited by Mannesty on 30/11/2012 - 14:30

Mannesty

Link Posted 30/11/2012 - 14:42
What I meant to write was that it might be a Pentax issue where the camera is not passing/saving the correct lens info. in the image file such that Lightroom can't recognise it.
Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream

MattMatic

Link Posted 30/11/2012 - 14:48
Quote:
I'm wondering if this is more a Pentax issue, perhaps the camera is not passing the lens data to Lightroom?

Doubt it
The fact that PhotoMe shows the Lens ID correctly but not the name shows that the EXIF is intact. Are you sure you're picking the correct profile in LR? ID "8 255.1", "3 46.1", "8 16" all refer to variants of the Sigma 70-200/2.8
(See the list here)

I've even thought about creating my own lens profiles... but it seems like such a hassle! And I need a largish print out of the calibration target, along with a very big room

Matt
http://www.mattmatic.co.uk
(For gallery, tips and links)
Last Edited by MattMatic on 30/11/2012 - 14:48

Mannesty

Link Posted 30/11/2012 - 15:38
I don't think the lens profile I choose affects the problem I'm having Matt.

By default, no lens profile is applied. When using the Library Filter in grid view, if I look in Metadata > Lens, I have three lenses listed, the 2 x Pentax lenses I used (16-50mm and 50-135mm) are correctly identified and named as smc Pentax-DA* etc. The Sigma lens is named "Unknown Lens".

The list of lens profiles in LR 4.2 has only one entry for Sigma 70-200mm 1:2.8 EX DG OS HSM

There is also an entry for the MKII Macro version.
Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream
Last Edited by Mannesty on 30/11/2012 - 15:47

MattMatic

Link Posted 30/11/2012 - 16:02
LR will only apply a lens profile if the Lens ID in the EXIF matches the available profiles.

I suspect you are manually picking a Sigma lens that sounds the same but that has a different Lens ID embedded in the profile
EDIT: Or may even be the same lens. Sigma may have produced different batches of the (optically) same lens but with different ID chips.

If the profile was copied and the internal ID changed to match your '8 23' then LR should pick up the profile automatically.

Matt
Last Edited by MattMatic on 30/11/2012 - 16:05

MattMatic

Link Posted 30/11/2012 - 16:03
You may find this page helpful (but complicated!)

EDIT: and here you can download the "Adobe Lens Profile Downloader" tool that will search for user-supplied body+lens profiles
Last Edited by MattMatic on 30/11/2012 - 16:06

MattMatic

Link Posted 30/11/2012 - 16:15
Update:

I downloaded a few profiles to have a peek. On the Mac they are saved in ~/Library/Application Support/Adobe/CameraRaw/LensProfiles/1.0/Downloaded

The files have a ".lcp" extension.
Actually they are XML text. Just open with an editor - and you'll see the tag (e.g. 8 18 for the Sigma 8-16)

You'll probably be able to tweak a profile that matches your lens

Matt

Mannesty

Link Posted 30/11/2012 - 17:58
Thanks Matt, I've found the lens profiles and had a quick look, and now my brain hurts.
Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream

PaulEvans

Link Posted 03/12/2012 - 08:12
Thanks for posting this, I have the same issue - lens profiles exist in LR4 but I have to select em manually. I'll have a read of MattMatics link and then my brain will hurt too...

Paul
K3ii, K5, DA16-85, DA35mm Limited, FA77mm Limited, 55mm f1.8 K, 135mm f3.5 M, DA300, DA 1.4 HD TC,
DA16-45, FA24-90, Sigma 15mm f2.8. Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro

Blythman

Link Posted 03/12/2012 - 08:14
PaulEvans wrote:
Thanks for posting this, I have the same issue - lens profiles exist in LR4 but I have to select em manually. I'll have a read of MattMatics link and then my brain will hurt too...

Paul

Only lenses that I don't have to select manually are my Pentax ones
Alan

PPG
Flickr

Mannesty

Link Posted 03/12/2012 - 09:16
This may be the answer to our problem.
Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream

Mannesty

Link Posted 03/12/2012 - 09:29
Having tried the suggestions in the link above, I have been able to make Lightroom choose a Sigma lens profile automatically, but the lens is still not named in the EXIF data.

To accomplish what I have so far, I simply selected an image froom my Sigma lens > Develop Module > Lens Corrections > loaded the profile manually > Changed the Vignetting from 100 to 0 to 100, then saved the profile as the default for that lens.

When selecting other images from that lens, the profile will now load automatically.
Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream

stevejcoe

Link Posted 03/12/2012 - 09:46
Peter, could the profiles themselves be possibly damaged?

looking on my PC

I have
PENTAX (SIGMA APO 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM) - RAW.lcp
PENTAX (Sigma_70-200mm_F2.8_II_APO_EX_DG_MACRO_HSM ) - RAW.lcp
PENTAX (Sigma_180mm_F3.5_APO_MACRO_EX_DG_HSM ) - RAW.lcp

If you send me your email address by pm, I can send them over and you could try repalcing your files.

Clutching at straws a little , but maybe worth a try.

Regards - Steve

Mannesty

Link Posted 03/12/2012 - 10:09
I don't think the profiles are damaged Steve as the issue is raised by others in the above link and the one I have edited and saved now behaves partially correctly in that it is automatically applied to images taken with it (Siggy 70-200mm).

It seems that Adobe Lightroom behaves differently when OEM (Pentax, Canon, Nikon etc.) and third party (Sigma, Tamron, etc.) lenses are used.

I'm going to be busy for a few hours now but I'll get back to this a bit later.

I'm happy to try your profiles though. PM on its way.
Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.