adobe elements6 vs adobe photoshop cs3

PentaxAmPho

Link Posted 19/06/2008 - 14:13
Hi folks. I currently use elements6 and I am considering upgrading to CS3. ....BUT....does the upgrade costs justify buying it? how much more does CS3 do compared to elements 6 ???

thanks for any help

Don

Link Posted 19/06/2008 - 14:24
you're asking how much more money.....

If you had asked something like "I need (blah, blah, blah) feature, to accomplish (such and such) task. Will cs3 meet my needs?"...

my advice is save your money and don't buy cs3 until you have to.
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.

gartmore

Link Posted 19/06/2008 - 14:32
I have found that PSE and Lightroom suit my needs well and cost a lot less but of course it isn't the same thing. Take Don's advice.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

Gwyn

Link Posted 19/06/2008 - 15:11
Have to agree with the other too. Save your money - Elements 6 can do (nearly) everything you will need, and probably more, when you learn to use it properly and learn the work arounds needed sometimes. Buy a couple of books on it and play away. It is a huge step forward from the previous Elements and they were pretty good.
Have a look at www.photoshopelementsuser.com too. The magazine is very helpful and gives loads of useful new things to try every month, plus you get access to lots more stuff on the site.

kerrowdown

Link Posted 19/06/2008 - 15:19
I jumped from Paintshop Pro 8 staright to CS3 Extended, I have no regrets, I will admit it was a massive learning curve for me (still learning)
Kerrowdown... Aka Romantic Highlander.

Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand... William Blake.

"Mistress" Pentax-A 15mm F3.5, "Good Lady" Pentax-A 20mm F2.8, "Friendly Lady" Pentax-A 24mm F2.8, "Deviate Lady" Pentax 28mm F3.5 Shift, "Street Lady" Pentax-A 28mm F2.8, "Bohemian Lady" Pentax-A 35mm F2.0, "Retro Lady" SMC Pentax-M 40mm F2.8, "Special Lady" Pentax-A 50mm F1.2, "Femme Fatale" Pentax-A 50mm F2.8 Macro, "Sweetheart" Pentax-A*85mm F1.4, "Lady Luck" Pentax-A*135mm F1.8, "Gorgeous Lady" Pentax-A*200mm F2.8 ED, "Duchess" Pentax-A*300mm F4.0, "HM The Queen" SMC Pentax 500mm F4.5

MattMatic

Link Posted 19/06/2008 - 16:29
Quote:
Hi folks. I currently use elements6 and I am considering upgrading to CS3

The correct question is "WHY"?

If it's because you want better photos, then stick with Elements
If you are missing a particular feature then consider it...

However, I would definitely encourage you to learn all you can about PSE6 before switching. You need to learn about layers, masks, filters etc etc etc. Only when your skills cannot grow any more - then consider CS.

To be honest, when it comes to general photography, there isn't much that Elements can't do.

Some good places to check out:
www.hiddenelements.com
and the tutorials on my website: www.photon.me.uk

That should keep you going for a long time!

If you don't already shoot RAW, then switching to RAW and using a decent convertor (like Silkypix or CaptureOne) will keep you going for even longer!

Matt
http://www.mattmatic.co.uk
(For gallery, tips and links)

Don

Link Posted 19/06/2008 - 20:25
you know what I just realized?

I haven't opened photoshop or elements in over a month!
been doing all my routine image adjustments in aperture, and have not done any "Photo Art" or digital manipulations.....

any other people finding that Aperture/Lightroom has left other programs collecting dust?
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.

George Lazarette

Link Posted 21/06/2008 - 14:06
Don wrote:
you know what I just realized?

I haven't opened photoshop or elements in over a month!
been doing all my routine image adjustments in aperture, and have not done any "Photo Art" or digital manipulations.....

any other people finding that Aperture/Lightroom has left other programs collecting dust?

I've certainly found that using Silkypix I seldom feel a need for anything else.

But I have an objection to too much manipulation, and my standards may not be very high!

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.

Classvino

Link Posted 24/06/2008 - 20:18
George Lazarette wrote:
But I have an objection to too much manipulation, and my standards may not be very high!

Or one might state, assuming exactly the same objection, that they are precisely high enough...
--------------
MZ-6,K10D,K20D,Grip,DA*Zooms,DA 18-55-200 Kit,FA50,1.7TC,AFZ360
For Saleentax FA28-90,FA100-300,Sigma EX28-80,DC18-200,
Makinon 500mm Mirror
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.