Action photography is hard!
Posted 09/04/2007 - 20:45
Link
Nice shots Chris.
The chopper is a bit static, ie no movement in the rotors, but nicely caught.
The first plane shot is very nice but I would have prefered it the other way round (try rotating it 180) I tried it with a horizontal flip and thought it looked better, but that stuffed the numbers up.
Third one is my fave. any lower and it would have been spoiled.
The chopper is a bit static, ie no movement in the rotors, but nicely caught.
The first plane shot is very nice but I would have prefered it the other way round (try rotating it 180) I tried it with a horizontal flip and thought it looked better, but that stuffed the numbers up.
Third one is my fave. any lower and it would have been spoiled.
Posted 09/04/2007 - 21:57
Link
Well done on the condensation trails from the propellor tips on the banked turn photo.
The third one is very nice. Great 4"x6", but no bigger as the subject appears a little fuzzy.
The chopper is also great, but would look better if it was not clipped, i.e. 100% in the frame.
The third one is very nice. Great 4"x6", but no bigger as the subject appears a little fuzzy.
The chopper is also great, but would look better if it was not clipped, i.e. 100% in the frame.
Posted 09/04/2007 - 22:12
Link
Nice pics. Looks like East Anglia. Duxford?
G
G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.
Posted 09/04/2007 - 22:50
Link
Nice and sharp, I wish my shots were as crisp!
Have these been cropped much or have you got a nice long lens?
I'm saving my pennies for a longer lens as I'm not happy with the magnification of the kit 50-200 DA.
Have these been cropped much or have you got a nice long lens?
I'm saving my pennies for a longer lens as I'm not happy with the magnification of the kit 50-200 DA.
Please call me aj,
I use a Pentax K10D, on a MacBook with LightRoom (vers 1.3 + beta 2)
http://www.ba-joseph.co.uk/gallery
I use a Pentax K10D, on a MacBook with LightRoom (vers 1.3 + beta 2)
http://www.ba-joseph.co.uk/gallery
Posted 09/04/2007 - 23:18
Link
Quote:
The chopper is a bit static, ie no movement in the rotors, but nicely caught.
Agreed. I almost didn't bother with it because of that, also the clipping.The chopper is a bit static, ie no movement in the rotors, but nicely caught.
Quote:
The first plane shot is very nice but I would have prefered it the other way round (try rotating it 180) I tried it with a horizontal flip and thought it looked better, but that stuffed the numbers up.
No way. Firstly because it wasn't that way, and the purist in me doesn't like messing with photographs like that.The first plane shot is very nice but I would have prefered it the other way round (try rotating it 180) I tried it with a horizontal flip and thought it looked better, but that stuffed the numbers up.
But there's a much more important reason why not.
Have a look more closely at the rotated version. Rotating it through 180 degrees gives the impression of a descending turn to the right. But the ailerons are now wrong - the left aileron is pointing up, and the right one down (relative to the aeroplane), which would bank it to the left. Ok, it's conceivable that he could have just reversed the ailerons, but that would be quite contrived IMO.
Whereas in the original, he really is banking left, and the position of the control surfaces is consistent with this.
Posted 09/04/2007 - 23:26
Link
Quote:
Well done on the condensation trails from the propellor tips on the banked turn photo.
Ha ha, like I noticed that at the time. I mean, yes, of course, completely intentional... Well done on the condensation trails from the propellor tips on the banked turn photo.
Quote:
The third one is very nice. Great 4"x6", but no bigger as the subject appears a little fuzzy.
Yep. I haven't got the hang of autofocus yet (for moving subjects), so it was manually (not quite) focused. I'm already better, though, than in the days before shake reduction. I'm expecting to improve a lot, though, with practice.
The third one is very nice. Great 4"x6", but no bigger as the subject appears a little fuzzy.
Posted 09/04/2007 - 23:30
Link
Quote:
Have these been cropped much or have you got a nice long lens?
They're cropped a bit. The two of the Yak 50 are about 3/4 frame.Have these been cropped much or have you got a nice long lens?
The lens was a Pentax 28-200 SMC-FA F3.5-5.6. Mostly at the long end.
Quote:
Nice pics. Looks like East Anglia. Duxford?
Compton Abbas, Dorset. About 3 miles south of Shaftesbury. The Yak 50 is based there, he was practising for a display or a competition somewhere, I guess.
Nice pics. Looks like East Anglia. Duxford?
Posted 12/04/2007 - 18:09
Link
nice shots, I think I saw and photographed that same Yak above Hartfordshire a fortnight ago! A very similar one at least, I havn't got the shot here in Canada to check.
Posted 12/04/2007 - 18:26
Link
Hi Chris,
nice shots..
Cheers
Liam.. (typing on the hoof)..
nice shots..
Quote:
Yep. I haven't got the hang of autofocus yet (for moving subjects), so it was manually (not quite) focused.
You have the K10D yes. Has it got the mode switch that the *istD series has? If so, there's a mode with a running man, that is basically for continuous AF while tracking a subject. Ah, no.. it's got the AF-C or AF-S options on the switch hasn't it. Switch to AF-C (continuous). I could of course be talking rubbish having not held a K10D. Yep. I haven't got the hang of autofocus yet (for moving subjects), so it was manually (not quite) focused.
Cheers
Liam.. (typing on the hoof)..
Liam
"Make your hands respond to what your mind demands." Jesse James
Best wide-angle lens? Two steps backward. Look for the 'ah-ha'. Ernst Haas
"Make your hands respond to what your mind demands." Jesse James
Best wide-angle lens? Two steps backward. Look for the 'ah-ha'. Ernst Haas
Posted 12/04/2007 - 20:20
Link
Quote:
Hi Chris,
nice shots..
Cheers
Liam.. (typing on the hoof)..
Liam,Hi Chris,
nice shots..
ChrisA wrote:
Yep. I haven't got the hang of autofocus yet (for moving subjects), so it was manually (not quite) focused.
You have the K10D yes. Has it got the mode switch that the *istD series has? If so, there's a mode with a running man, that is basically for continuous AF while tracking a subject. Ah, no.. it's got the AF-C or AF-S options on the switch hasn't it. Switch to AF-C (continuous). I could of course be talking rubbish having not held a K10D. Yep. I haven't got the hang of autofocus yet (for moving subjects), so it was manually (not quite) focused.
Cheers
Liam.. (typing on the hoof)..
The K10D doesn't have programmed 'modes', it's a 'proper' camera.
Peter E Smith - flickr Photostream
Posted 12/04/2007 - 23:22
Link
Quote:
You have the K10D yes. Has it got the mode switch that the *istD series has? If so, there's a mode with a running man, that is basically for continuous AF while tracking a subject. Ah, no.. it's got the AF-C or AF-S options on the switch hasn't it. Switch to AF-C (continuous). I could of course be talking rubbish having not held a K10D.
Yes, I'll try and remember to give AF-C a go, thanks. The problem I was having with AF was that with the fast-moving subjects, if I didn't have the camera pointing right at it, the AF would hunt and I'd never see the subject let alone get it in focus. So I switched to MF to capture the action, and only later discovered that I'd left the AF on spot rather than auto.You have the K10D yes. Has it got the mode switch that the *istD series has? If so, there's a mode with a running man, that is basically for continuous AF while tracking a subject. Ah, no.. it's got the AF-C or AF-S options on the switch hasn't it. Switch to AF-C (continuous). I could of course be talking rubbish having not held a K10D.
I'll try and do better...
Posted 13/04/2007 - 09:40
Link
Liam
The istD itself doesn't have "modes" either (its also a proper camera ) only its offspring have them.
A quick question for users of the "D"s that do have the mode dial....Does it still light up like a christmas tree when you turn it on like the MZ7 does?
The istD itself doesn't have "modes" either (its also a proper camera ) only its offspring have them.
A quick question for users of the "D"s that do have the mode dial....Does it still light up like a christmas tree when you turn it on like the MZ7 does?
Posted 13/04/2007 - 10:24
Link
Hi Spider,
no it doesn't light up, that I've noticed anyway. I found that that mode gave me a quick way to get AF-C rather than hunt through the menus.. and I only found that at the weekend.. (along with being able to rotate shots in playback mode on the LCD.. I really should dig out the manual again)
I think I'm right in that I can change the attributes for each mode on the dial, so as long as I remember which does which, I can in theory access half a dozen presets when needed.. which when chasing stuff that doesn't want to sit still could save the shot.
Anyway, to both of you.. yopu may have noticed that I don't need a proper camera.. 'cos I'm not a proper photographer..
Cheers
Liam
no it doesn't light up, that I've noticed anyway. I found that that mode gave me a quick way to get AF-C rather than hunt through the menus.. and I only found that at the weekend.. (along with being able to rotate shots in playback mode on the LCD.. I really should dig out the manual again)
I think I'm right in that I can change the attributes for each mode on the dial, so as long as I remember which does which, I can in theory access half a dozen presets when needed.. which when chasing stuff that doesn't want to sit still could save the shot.
Anyway, to both of you.. yopu may have noticed that I don't need a proper camera.. 'cos I'm not a proper photographer..
Cheers
Liam
Liam
"Make your hands respond to what your mind demands." Jesse James
Best wide-angle lens? Two steps backward. Look for the 'ah-ha'. Ernst Haas
"Make your hands respond to what your mind demands." Jesse James
Best wide-angle lens? Two steps backward. Look for the 'ah-ha'. Ernst Haas
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


4839 posts
19 years
South West London