A Wye Valley Series
Posted 06/01/2014 - 16:35
Link
A good set. For me, no.1 stands out -- the figures on the bridge make it (whether their presence was fortuitous or premeditated!). I also particularly like the A466 -- were it not for the tarmacadam and white lines, it might almost be an C18 or C19 oil painting.
Posted 06/01/2014 - 17:05
Link
What an atmospheric collection! Bigsweir Bridge 2, Tree with Crow & A466 are the stand outs for me
A466 is one of those shots where I normally say straight away you need to brighten the shadows - but not here. The deep dark rocks really make it, and the shaft of light around the corner is so beautifully placed.
All the elements in Tree With Crow come together, what an amazingly gloomy image, but with spot-on exposure.
Muddy track doesn't work IMO - its got the light and atmosphere, but the central placing of the trees doesn't work here as there's not really any symmetry anywhere else.
Beautiful set, thanks for letting us see them.
A466 is one of those shots where I normally say straight away you need to brighten the shadows - but not here. The deep dark rocks really make it, and the shaft of light around the corner is so beautifully placed.
All the elements in Tree With Crow come together, what an amazingly gloomy image, but with spot-on exposure.
Muddy track doesn't work IMO - its got the light and atmosphere, but the central placing of the trees doesn't work here as there's not really any symmetry anywhere else.
Beautiful set, thanks for letting us see them.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Posted 06/01/2014 - 18:53
Link
I 'll tell you what, we have some absolutely cracking photographers on this site, yet another fantastic set
Cheers
Brian.
LBA is good for you, a Lens a day helps you work, rest and play.
Brian.
LBA is good for you, a Lens a day helps you work, rest and play.
Posted 06/01/2014 - 19:09
Link
These are hauntingly beautiful shots - it's the light that does it and of course the expertise of the photographer to compose and photograph it properly.
I can see we are in for a treat when you move back to the UK Dr.O!
Regards
David
I can see we are in for a treat when you move back to the UK Dr.O!
Regards
David
Posted 06/01/2014 - 19:23
Link
Simply superb. Fog and mist, winter weather - things that keep normal people indoors. It brings the best out in real photographers though, thank heavens.
David
PPG: http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/davidtrout
David
PPG: http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/davidtrout
Posted 06/01/2014 - 20:07
Link
That's an excellent set Doc, the A466 shot and tree with crow are my favourite but they are all very atmospheric. great processing too.
The only one I'm not keen on is muddy track, the composition with the trees is a bit central, but the transition from mist to sky is lovely.
The only one I'm not keen on is muddy track, the composition with the trees is a bit central, but the transition from mist to sky is lovely.
Posted 06/01/2014 - 21:35
Link
Blythman wrote:
You must have an expensive camera to get photos like that.
You must have an expensive camera to get photos like that.
This space deliberately left blank.
Posted 06/01/2014 - 23:53
Link
I'm very glad you're now unleashed on British landscapes
Some folk just seem to carry around great light with them.... enviable skill here.
The A466 shot is stunning, but quality throughout.
Some folk just seem to carry around great light with them.... enviable skill here.
The A466 shot is stunning, but quality throughout.
Posted 07/01/2014 - 08:11
Link
McBrian wrote:
I 'll tell you what, we have some absolutely cracking photographers on this site, yet another fantastic set
Got to agree whole-heartedly - a Superb set (again) from the Dr I 'll tell you what, we have some absolutely cracking photographers on this site, yet another fantastic set
I really think this site has improved significantly in the quality of photos submitted over the last couple of years - there's a real danger that the "talkers" will be overtaken by the "takers" soon
LennyBloke
Posted 08/01/2014 - 04:46
Link
Yes superb atmosphere and lighting. My favourite is #1, Bigsweir Bridge 1 becuase the bridge extends into a faded universe on the left. I think you could have enhanced that effect by upping the contrast on the right side of the frame with a grad filter btw.
The last one, Tintern Abbey doesn't belong in the set, and I agree with Nigel about Muddy track
The last one, Tintern Abbey doesn't belong in the set, and I agree with Nigel about Muddy track
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


2628 posts
16 years
Brighton,
England
Bigsweir Bridge 1
Bigsweir Bridge 2
Muddy Track
Bursting The Banks
Tree With Crow
A466
Trees
Tintern Abbey