Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

A tale of two vendors

Delgado
Posted 08/04/2007 - 02:51 Link
This is a trivial observation, and it may not have any relevance for anyone outside of London. That said, it illustrates what a difference a vendor's attitude makes.

I went off in search of a Rocket blower today as my K10D has some dust on the sensor that its regular shake-on-start won't dislodge. I checked the Jessops website to find out if they carry a version of this product (they do). While browsing online I couldn't help noting the blizzard of heavily promoted non-Pentax DSLRs available immediately. If, however, you want a K10D from Jessops it is a different story - they expect you to wait 28 days. UK buyers could get one in a fraction of the time from the Far East or North America.

I went along to Jessops to get the blower and, as they did not have one in stock, they suggested helpfully that I check just across the road at a rival photographic vendor called Jacobs. Not only did Jacobs have plenty of Rocket blowers, but they also had a K10D in the window, more in stock, and a pile of K10D brochures in a prominent place on the sales counter.

No confusion over which is the sunny side of the street then.
Pwynnej
Posted 08/04/2007 - 13:02 Link
I have had good service from Jacobs.... However, I got my K10D from CameraWorld for 550 yesterday.... itching to get it used tday
old timer
Posted 08/04/2007 - 16:58 Link
I believe that the Jolly Exciting Super Store of Photographic Supplies has just reported a significant downturn in profits. If that is the case then I am not surprised.

I have visited branches all over the country - about 4 times a year on average over 10 years - and only twice did they have what I went in for. To be fair, having completely cocked up a Xmas present they presented me with £20 of complimentary gift vouchers by way of an apology. I still go there, but it is more in a spirit of hope triumphing over experience. The web site is a little better if you are prepared you wait.

I also rate Jacobs (but a bit expensive over the i/net,)
Keep up the good work
Graham

I'll think of something someday.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.