A selection of Dragonflies
Posted 25/08/2017 - 19:42
Link
Just came across a couple of dragonflies over a large puddle, only had the 24-70 lens on but when they cheekily hovered a few inches in front of the lens I tried a few shots. On every one they zipped off as I pressed the shutter! So, great respect for your outstanding images, well done. What focus do you use? Manual, tracking or spot?
Posted 25/08/2017 - 19:44
Link
RobL wrote:
Just came across a couple of dragonflies over a large puddle, only had the 24-70 lens on but when they cheekily hovered a few inches in front of the lens I tried a few shots. On every one they zipped off as I pressed the shutter! So, great respect for your outstanding images, well done. What focus do you use? Manual, tracking or spot?
Thanks. Single centre point focus and AFS for the static shots, AFC for in flight. Handheld for all of these shots too. In flight is tough on many Dragonflies, only Hawkers hover in one spot for any length of time.Just came across a couple of dragonflies over a large puddle, only had the 24-70 lens on but when they cheekily hovered a few inches in front of the lens I tried a few shots. On every one they zipped off as I pressed the shutter! So, great respect for your outstanding images, well done. What focus do you use? Manual, tracking or spot?
I also solely use back button focus too, as it helps when tracking.
K3, K3 II, 100MM 2.8 Macro, Sigma 10-20 3.5, Sigma 17-50 2.8, Nikon D7500, Tamron 150 600 G2
Posted 25/08/2017 - 21:50
Link
Another wonderful set. Butterflies and now dragonflies, 2 of my favourite summer insects to watch and photograph. Thursley common is where I go for Downy Emeralds and Keeled skimmer but I didn't make it there this year so have missed seeing them. Well done on finding a resting Downy, I've only ever seen them flying. I did manage to get to see some norfolk hawkers and I always look forward to that, the eyes contrasting with the body colour is great to see.
Have you ever had/used the DA*300 on the K3? If so how does it compare to your 150-450 for flight shots?
Have you ever had/used the DA*300 on the K3? If so how does it compare to your 150-450 for flight shots?
Posted 26/08/2017 - 07:32
Link
walt wrote:
Another wonderful set. Butterflies and now dragonflies, 2 of my favourite summer insects to watch and photograph. Thursley common is where I go for Downy Emeralds and Keeled skimmer but I didn't make it there this year so have missed seeing them. Well done on finding a resting Downy, I've only ever seen them flying. I did manage to get to see some norfolk hawkers and I always look forward to that, the eyes contrasting with the body colour is great to see.
Have you ever had/used the DA*300 on the K3? If so how does it compare to your 150-450 for flight shots?
Thanks. The Keeled Skimmers here were taken at Thursley, one of the best places I've ever been for Dragonflies. The resting Downy was pure luck, it literally just landed next to me, so I quickly grabbed as many shots as I could! It is rare to see them settle. I've not ever owned the 300, though I've been tempted to buy a used one, but I suspect it would be more manageable than the zoom. I don't think IQ would be better though, so I'm unlikely to buy one. All I'm really missing is a mid ranger, so I'm considering the 55 - 300 PLM.Another wonderful set. Butterflies and now dragonflies, 2 of my favourite summer insects to watch and photograph. Thursley common is where I go for Downy Emeralds and Keeled skimmer but I didn't make it there this year so have missed seeing them. Well done on finding a resting Downy, I've only ever seen them flying. I did manage to get to see some norfolk hawkers and I always look forward to that, the eyes contrasting with the body colour is great to see.
Have you ever had/used the DA*300 on the K3? If so how does it compare to your 150-450 for flight shots?
We clearly tread the same ground by the way, I'll assume you go to Stodmarsh for the Norfolk?
K3, K3 II, 100MM 2.8 Macro, Sigma 10-20 3.5, Sigma 17-50 2.8, Nikon D7500, Tamron 150 600 G2
Posted 26/08/2017 - 09:29
Link
Wonderful set. Not seen as many as I'd liked this neck of the woods as it's been so wet. 😔
Posted 26/08/2017 - 10:52
Link
Kevriano wrote:
Thanks. The Keeled Skimmers here were taken at Thursley, one of the best places I've ever been for Dragonflies. The resting Downy was pure luck, it literally just landed next to me, so I quickly grabbed as many shots as I could! It is rare to see them settle. I've not ever owned the 300, though I've been tempted to buy a used one, but I suspect it would be more manageable than the zoom. I don't think IQ would be better though, so I'm unlikely to buy one. All I'm really missing is a mid ranger, so I'm considering the 55 - 300 PLM.
We clearly tread the same ground by the way, I'll assume you go to Stodmarsh for the Norfolk?
I've not been to Stodmarsh, I tend to go to Strumshaw Fen or Hickling broad in Norfolk for the double whammy of Norfolk Hawker and Swallowtail butterflies, well that's always the plan, but nature doesn't always follow it!Thanks. The Keeled Skimmers here were taken at Thursley, one of the best places I've ever been for Dragonflies. The resting Downy was pure luck, it literally just landed next to me, so I quickly grabbed as many shots as I could! It is rare to see them settle. I've not ever owned the 300, though I've been tempted to buy a used one, but I suspect it would be more manageable than the zoom. I don't think IQ would be better though, so I'm unlikely to buy one. All I'm really missing is a mid ranger, so I'm considering the 55 - 300 PLM.
We clearly tread the same ground by the way, I'll assume you go to Stodmarsh for the Norfolk?
I wouldn't recommend the DA*300 for the flight shots, along with the K3 it's a bit frustrating, great quality and close focus for the statics though. I was interested in how the 150-450 performed in comparison hence the question. I've added a Tamron 150-600 to my 'other' Canon kit and am slowly getting used to carrying a 2Kg lens, so the 150-450 doesn't feel quite as daunting! Still not my preferred solution though. Perhaps a fast focusing version of the DA* would be perfect in the future.
Posted 26/08/2017 - 12:59
Link
All great shots, and all of species I've yet to see!
TFS
TFS
Mike
.
Pentax:K5ii, K7, K100D, DA18-55, DA10-17, DA55-300, DA50-200, F100-300, F50, DA35 AL, 4* M50, 2* M135, Helicoid extension, Tak 300 f4 (& 6 film bodies)
3rd Party: Bigmos (Sigma 150-500mm OS HSM),2* 28mm, 100mm macro, 28-200 zoom, 35-80 zoom, 80-200 zoom, 80-210 zoom, 300mm M42, 600 mirror, 1000-4000 scope, 50mm M42, enlarger lenses, Sony & micro 4/3 cameras with various PK mounts, Zenit E...
Far to many tele-converters, adapters, project parts & extension tubes etc.
.[size=11:].Flickr• WPF• Panoramio
.
Pentax:K5ii, K7, K100D, DA18-55, DA10-17, DA55-300, DA50-200, F100-300, F50, DA35 AL, 4* M50, 2* M135, Helicoid extension, Tak 300 f4 (& 6 film bodies)
3rd Party: Bigmos (Sigma 150-500mm OS HSM),2* 28mm, 100mm macro, 28-200 zoom, 35-80 zoom, 80-200 zoom, 80-210 zoom, 300mm M42, 600 mirror, 1000-4000 scope, 50mm M42, enlarger lenses, Sony & micro 4/3 cameras with various PK mounts, Zenit E...
Far to many tele-converters, adapters, project parts & extension tubes etc.
.[size=11:].Flickr• WPF• Panoramio
Posted 26/08/2017 - 15:00
Link
walt wrote:
I wouldn't recommend the DA*300 for the flight shots, along with the K3 it's a bit frustrating, great quality and close focus for the statics though. I was interested in how the 150-450 performed in comparison hence the question. I've added a Tamron 150-600 to my 'other' Canon kit and am slowly getting used to carrying a 2Kg lens, so the 150-450 doesn't feel quite as daunting! Still not my preferred solution though. Perhaps a fast focusing version of the DA* would be perfect in the future.
Ahh Strumshaw is on our hit list for next year, as I want to photograph the Swallowtails. Stodmarsh is the only place outside of Norfolk for these Hawkers. I can definitely recommend the 150 - 450, but it's cost has spiralled. I was lucky to get £500 off by being a cheeky bugger, otherwise I'd still be using a Sigma 120 - 400 or maybe 50 - 500. I do wish Tamron or Sigma would make the 150 - 600 in Pentax fit. Kevriano wrote:
Thanks. The Keeled Skimmers here were taken at Thursley, one of the best places I've ever been for Dragonflies. The resting Downy was pure luck, it literally just landed next to me, so I quickly grabbed as many shots as I could! It is rare to see them settle. I've not ever owned the 300, though I've been tempted to buy a used one, but I suspect it would be more manageable than the zoom. I don't think IQ would be better though, so I'm unlikely to buy one. All I'm really missing is a mid ranger, so I'm considering the 55 - 300 PLM.
We clearly tread the same ground by the way, I'll assume you go to Stodmarsh for the Norfolk?
I've not been to Stodmarsh, I tend to go to Strumshaw Fen or Hickling broad in Norfolk for the double whammy of Norfolk Hawker and Swallowtail butterflies, well that's always the plan, but nature doesn't always follow it!Thanks. The Keeled Skimmers here were taken at Thursley, one of the best places I've ever been for Dragonflies. The resting Downy was pure luck, it literally just landed next to me, so I quickly grabbed as many shots as I could! It is rare to see them settle. I've not ever owned the 300, though I've been tempted to buy a used one, but I suspect it would be more manageable than the zoom. I don't think IQ would be better though, so I'm unlikely to buy one. All I'm really missing is a mid ranger, so I'm considering the 55 - 300 PLM.
We clearly tread the same ground by the way, I'll assume you go to Stodmarsh for the Norfolk?
I wouldn't recommend the DA*300 for the flight shots, along with the K3 it's a bit frustrating, great quality and close focus for the statics though. I was interested in how the 150-450 performed in comparison hence the question. I've added a Tamron 150-600 to my 'other' Canon kit and am slowly getting used to carrying a 2Kg lens, so the 150-450 doesn't feel quite as daunting! Still not my preferred solution though. Perhaps a fast focusing version of the DA* would be perfect in the future.
Ultimately I want the old 200 - 600 or 600 f4. Maybe when I retire...
K3, K3 II, 100MM 2.8 Macro, Sigma 10-20 3.5, Sigma 17-50 2.8, Nikon D7500, Tamron 150 600 G2
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


231 posts
9 years
4 Spot Chaser (such a stunning colour)
Keeled Skimmer (F)
Keeled Skimmer (M)
Black Tailed Skimmer
Same image, cropped in as far as possible, just to show how sharp this lens is.
Downy Emerald
Norfolk Hawker ( A rare beast, confined to 2 small areas of the UK)
Norfolk Hawker in flight...