A present for the wife..

nathanever82

Link Posted 29/08/2009 - 01:09
Ok what do you guys think about this?
Its obviously not a new idea, but to the typical subject I added the Italian - English dictionary... as you know I'm italian.. she's english... What do you think?

'Between the lights there is always a shadow'

www.nathanservi.com & PPG

johnriley

Link Posted 29/08/2009 - 07:18
It's a fantastic idea, but I think you need to change the composition a bit so that you obscure from view the word "love-child" as that is probably not what you are saying.

Otherwise, the idea is great and I'm sure she'll love it.
Best regards, John

Clarky

Link Posted 29/08/2009 - 08:31
Excellent idea Nathan, I like it but would crop out the OOF top quarter of the ring. and it makes the heart shaped shadow stand out more.
Camera:|K-7|
Pentax Lenses:|DA12-24/f4 ED AL|DA35Ltd Macro|FA31Ltd|FA77Ltd|FA50/1.4|F70-210|FA20-35 f4/AL|A*200/f4 Macro ED|A50/1.7|A50 Macro f2.8|1.7xAF adapter|
Voigtlander|125/f2.5SL Macro APO Lanthar|
Sigma Lenses:|EX DG 100-300 f4|2X & 1.4X TC|
Flashes:|AF540FGZx2|RingFlash AF160FC|

thoughton

Link Posted 29/08/2009 - 10:05
Didn't even notice the shadow until Clarky pointed it out Really really excellent idea. I'm sure it will score you many brownie points! (I might even steal your idea )
Tim
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27”, Macbook Pro 17”, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr • Fluidr • PPG • Street • Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!

yelvertoft

Link Posted 29/08/2009 - 10:24
Great idea. I'd but the framing at more of a diagonal so the fold of the book runs diagonally across the frame top left to full bottom right corner. I don't think the top left needs to be precise, but the bottom left on the corner of the frame will give an effective lead line through the image. I'd also have the DoF so that the whole of the ring was in focus. I see the ring as being the main subject, with the dictionary adding context. Your current DoF has these elements reversed. Just my opinion, feel free to ignore.

Duncan

gartmore

Link Posted 29/08/2009 - 12:04
Really nice but you need to get som jeweller's rouge and polish the ring.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

Aiki

Link Posted 29/08/2009 - 13:57
LOVEly idea

PS. New for me !
Aiki

----
Pentax K20D; SMC DA 18-55mm II kit; Sigma AF 70-300/4-5.6 APO DG MACRO
GIMP Flickr
PPG

Thordell

Link Posted 29/08/2009 - 13:58
Well you have had loads of valid comments but to be honest if my man had given it to me just as it is I would not be looking to see if the shot was as perfect as it could be because I would be too busy wiping away the tears of pleasure, love and delight.
Jackie H
K7, K20D, istDS, Optio SV, ME
Most used glass
50mm f1.4, 60-250mm, 28-80mm,
Sigma 105mm 2.8 Macro & Bertha 50-500

nathanever82

Link Posted 29/08/2009 - 14:03
Thank you all for your kind comments. I will actually take many onboard, and probably re-shoot the image.

THank you all

Don

Link Posted 29/08/2009 - 14:45
I think there is one more little detial not already mentioned....
the lighting... I believe if you can place a reflector over the ring and light the reflector... or use a softbox... soft lighting to make the metal look nice and a hard spot to make the shadow will give the heart shape, and not draw attention to imperfections on the ring surface..
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.

nathanever82

Link Posted 29/08/2009 - 15:25
Yep, DOn, as usual, priceless advise

nathanever82

Link Posted 29/08/2009 - 22:14
hey Don,

I've been experimenting a bit... and unfortunately, I really can't get reflectors or softboxes to do the job.
See its a 1 light setup, and any form of diffusion will actually not produce the hard shadow needed... so...

suggestions?

johnriley

Link Posted 29/08/2009 - 22:24
You definitely need the hard shadow, so I'd suggest go with it as it is, just being careful about which words on the page are revealed.

Your wife will I'm sure be delighted, and won't be doing a photographic critique!

It's the thought that counts and it's a lovely thought.
Best regards, John

Don

Link Posted 29/08/2009 - 22:51
nathanever82 wrote:
hey Don,

I've been experimenting a bit... and unfortunately, I really can't get reflectors or softboxes to do the job.
See its a 1 light setup, and any form of diffusion will actually not produce the hard shadow needed... so...

suggestions?

yep....
get a peice of white foamcore...
hold your flash against the foamcore, over the ring... your flash will create the hard spot, and the foamcore will reflect soft light off the shiny ring surfaces, just a matter of positioning it right with the flash behind the ring and the foamcore over top...
i used a reflector, but same concept:

here is an earing..sorry no ring handy...

there is a page in the Bible, in Corrinthians about Love.... "Love is Patient, Love is kind.."..etc
that is a staple in our Wedding coverage...this shot is always a pleaser!
good luck!
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.

nathanever82

Link Posted 29/08/2009 - 22:56
Right... whilst trying to understand how you are doing this.. (and if the shadow is hard enough for my taste )

This is what i've managed with a diffuser, different composition, and better placing...

Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.