A moment in the sun
Posted 12/04/2017 - 00:09
Link
Very nice. John has hit the nail on the head...subtle.
Peter
My Flickr page
My Flickr page
Posted 12/04/2017 - 00:31
Link
Cheers, Peter and John.
I was aiming for subtle with the lighting anyway.
Ring flash with homemade diffuser,
A pity there's nothing subtle about the diffuser

I was aiming for subtle with the lighting anyway.
Ring flash with homemade diffuser,
A pity there's nothing subtle about the diffuser

I know what i like, If not always why.
Posted 12/04/2017 - 06:35
Link
That's one hell of a lens hood ! So the flash light is actually in front of the lens ? That's odd, as ringflashes obviously go around the lens barrel, just behind the front element ....
I'm surprised there's not some sort of bad flare reflecting going on with so much light right in front of the lens .....but the results are very good. Is the flower very close? The light seems soft so I'm assuming it must be very close.
I'm surprised there's not some sort of bad flare reflecting going on with so much light right in front of the lens .....but the results are very good. Is the flower very close? The light seems soft so I'm assuming it must be very close.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Posted 12/04/2017 - 07:26
Link
Hi Nigel, the flash sits just in front of the front element. I've used a cut down coffee tin to shield the lens from flare and it seems to have worked.


I know what i like, If not always why.
Posted 12/04/2017 - 07:50
Link
The dish is a cheap plastic £1 mixing bowl from a £1 shop.
Inside painted white, outside black.
I have repurposed it again as I have used it in the past as a beauty dish.
It had a biscuit tin lid around where the coffee tin is now and a small slot at the back for the flash head to sit into.
I've removed the lid and cut the center of the Base out so the ring flash sits more or less right.
The coffee tin sits into the center of the flash and just some transparent foamy type stuff to further diffuse.
Inside painted white, outside black.
I have repurposed it again as I have used it in the past as a beauty dish.
It had a biscuit tin lid around where the coffee tin is now and a small slot at the back for the flash head to sit into.
I've removed the lid and cut the center of the Base out so the ring flash sits more or less right.
The coffee tin sits into the center of the flash and just some transparent foamy type stuff to further diffuse.
I know what i like, If not always why.
Posted 12/04/2017 - 08:14
Link
If it works that's all that matters Very creative!
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Posted 12/04/2017 - 10:58
Link
First we had salmon packaging as a reflector, now we have mixing bowls; biscuit tins; and coffee tins!
Think we should get Blue Peter to sponsor the forum !
Think we should get Blue Peter to sponsor the forum !
Peter
My Flickr page
My Flickr page
Posted 12/04/2017 - 14:17
Link
That should get me a badge, surely.
I know what i like, If not always why.
Posted 13/04/2017 - 00:56
Link
Indeed it should .... you even produced "the one I made earlier" !
Posted 15/04/2017 - 20:34
Link
Love a cheap fix that produces results and these images prove it works!
Gareth Williams ARPS
My outfit: K1ii - Pentax D FA 24-70mm f2.8 - Pentax DA* 300mm f4 - Pentax modified DA* 60-250mm f4 - Irix 15mm Firefly - Pentax FA 35mm - FA 50mm f1.4 - Tamron SP 90mm macro - Pentax AF 540 FGZ II
Welsh Photographer
Flickr
Instagram
My PPG
Foundation NFT
My outfit: K1ii - Pentax D FA 24-70mm f2.8 - Pentax DA* 300mm f4 - Pentax modified DA* 60-250mm f4 - Irix 15mm Firefly - Pentax FA 35mm - FA 50mm f1.4 - Tamron SP 90mm macro - Pentax AF 540 FGZ II
Welsh Photographer
Flickr
My PPG
Foundation NFT
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


2322 posts
13 years
Wicklow Ireland
IMGP1715edcrpsm by dr.shutter, on Flickr
The bluebells are just out in the bottom of my garden.
IMGP1649edcrpsm2 by dr.shutter, on Flickr
IMGP1737ed2sm by dr.shutter, on Flickr
K3ii + sigma 105mm f2.8 + single ext tube (11mm)