A mini rant.

michaelblue

Link Posted 13/02/2019 - 21:13
I thought i'd miss the top screen on the KP but the extra customizable dial is a fantastic idea i find extremely useful! I don't miss the top dial at all now, As for the lack of IR release, again I was a little disappointed at first but I bought a small cable release off ebay for a few and all is ok. High ISO is much better than the K3's.
Regards,
Michael
My new website:link

richandfleur

Link Posted 13/02/2019 - 23:11
Yeah I lost the top screen when I moved to the K-30 and K-S1 but all the top screen info is on the rear screen, and larger and clearer to read.
Top screens look like 1990's calculator technology

I have it again on the K-3 but I now don't feel it's necessary, or a viable point of difference alone to distinguish between lower and higher grade devices.

As others have said it will be interesting to see if Pentax releases anything significantly different this year. It's an anniversary year so I hope so. Camera tech is always improving, but it's certainly plateaued a bit lately, compared to the early huge/dramatic improvements when sensor tech was new. Lately it's been incremental improvements and more focus on supporting aspects than the sensor tech itself. K-5ii to a KP would be a big jump in some areas, but granted it's a different form factor and slower burst speed/max shutter speed etc, so pros and cons.

davidwozhere

Link Posted 14/02/2019 - 00:28
I realised yesterday why I disabled the status screens on my K5 and K3. It's all well and good having all the information from the top screen on the monitor but I tried to look through the viewfinder of my shiny new K1 and got blasted by extraneous bright light from the monitor beneath where I was looking! Then there was a bright flash as the preview of the image that I had just taken appeared as well. I disabled both of those pronto!

As to there being no need for an IR release, using a cable release means that you are in contact with the camera, be it ever so slightly. When you have set up a complex macro, touching anything at all is the last thing you want, especially when you have walked some distance away to let the residual vibrations from the tripod die down.

The K1 might be a heavy brute (not as bad as Canons!) it is no trouble to hold it as it feels quite perfect in my hand, such that I don't want to put it down! I've already discovered that the Tamron adaptall 35-80 01A works a treat with it. I'm looking forward to seeing what some of my Russian glass will do. I was a bit worried about the price of purpose made lenses for it (I still am) so I have hopes for my heritage collection.
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd - link

pschlute

Link Posted 14/02/2019 - 01:23
The top display on the K1 is very small compared to the K10d i had before and I was a bit disappointed at first, but have got used to using the LCD screen and never bother with the top display now, would not miss it if it was dropped on a later model. The articulated screen is a very useful tool especially for low tripod shots.

I find manual focus with the K1 a breeze. the big bright viewfinder makes focussing by eye easy. If really critical focus is required the best approach is LV zoomed to 100%. Focus confirmation with the beep/green hexagon works fine for me too when using a manual lens.
Peter

My Flickr page
Last Edited by pschlute on 14/02/2019 - 01:24
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.