A local walk amongst the heather

jvs

Link Posted 12/09/2022 - 16:54
As the title says, really, not much to add! Just made it before the heather started dying off. K70 + DA 16-85. All comments welcome.

John

Spad

Link Posted 12/09/2022 - 18:18
Love number 3!!

It's a shame you didnt have any ND's or graduated ND's with you!! They would have just brought these images right out!

I have shot hand held using a graduated ND 2 and 4. If you don't have any, they're well worth investing in a set.
At the beggining there was nothing....

Which exploded....
Last Edited by Spad on 12/09/2022 - 18:20

LennyBloke

Link Posted 13/09/2022 - 10:20
Another lovely set - your handling of the exposure/processing for the clouds is so nice, not overdone or too dramatic

I get what Spad is saying about ND Grads, and agree that it is worth having a set to experiment with - but I think this set has a beautiful "delicate" feel to them that may be lost with the filters.

Only negative comment is the size of your images - they deserve to be seen bigger
LennyBloke

jvs

Link Posted 13/09/2022 - 22:33
Thank you both for your interesting comments. I do have a set of ND Grad filters, which I must confess to not using very often. Most of my landscape images are unplanned - I'll take a camera with me on a walk, but the walk is the main purpose in going out, rather than photography. At the same time, I do try to take notice of comments directed at composition, technique etc as I am a long way from being as good a photographer as I would like to be.

I was happy enough with those I've posted here, though I can see now that no.3 in particular looks a bit dull and flat, so I've had another go at it in AffinityPhoto with help from Vivesa's ND filter. Here is the first attempt at bringing a bit more vibrance into the scene:

I thought that the effect on the sky was too strong, however, so erased the sky filter. I think the 3rd attempt is better, with the foreground in particular looking more saturated and attractive:

Do feel free to comment on the revised versions!
John

Spad

Link Posted 16/09/2022 - 21:25
They look better.... maybe it's just me.... but.... i still think using ND Grads add something to an image. Rather than using software to do it. Maybe it's the way they capture the light??!!

Next time you go use your grads!
At the beggining there was nothing....

Which exploded....

Lubbyman

Link Posted 17/09/2022 - 09:47
Interesting. As far as I can see by flipping between the original and last version, the main difference is that the most distant ground and a narrow band of cloud above it has been darkened, making the horizon more pronounced. The only significant change to the foreground that I can see is a slight reduction in contrast in the vegetation at the bottom left, but it's far from obvious. I'm using my tablet for this, not the big calibrated monitor so perhaps something is getting lost in the limitations of the tablet screen. Or perhaps it's my ageing eyesight!

This does, however, raise a philosophical (or should that be a practical?) question: what is the purpose of a particula photograph? To record the scene as it actually was? Or to record the scene that you think you saw? Or to be a good image in accordance with some aesthetic criteria? Or to be an image that will please someone else? They might be quite different versions of the same scene !

Steve

jvs

Link Posted 17/09/2022 - 18:50
Thanks, Steve, for taking the time for such a detailed response.

I do think myself that there is a slight improvement in the contrast in the foreground vegetation, but certainly not a massive one.

More interesting are the questions you pose in your second paragraph - and I'm not sure there's a cut-and-dried answer. I'm not sure there's a difference between actual and perceived. Why do we process landscape photos in software? Is it to reproduce more faithfully what we think we saw? Or to make the image more attractive (to our own eyes) than what the camera (with or without lens filters) recorded? I don't know. What I do know is that when I print and frame a photo to display on a wall at home, I will try and make it as pleasing to my eye as I think is reasonable - but the eye of my wife may still see something different.

So, "different versions of the same scene"? Quite possibly. Which is a good reason for asking for comments from forum members - comments may provoke different, possibly unanticipated, reactions - and that's fine! Provoking different thoughts makes a forum more interesting.
John

Lubbyman

Link Posted 17/09/2022 - 21:02
jvs wrote:
I'm not sure there's a difference between actual and perceived.

I am. Put six painters behind six portable easels at any of the positions from which you took a photo and ask them to paint what they see. They'll produce six different pictures of the same scene. (I've known a few artists over the years ... ) And that's without even the filtering/rationalising/idealising effects of memory kicking in.

jvs wrote:
Provoking different thoughts makes a forum more interesting.

1000% agree!

Steve
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.