A few red squiggles

McGregNi
Posted 05/08/2014 - 00:12 Link
Trouble is its the wrong sort of catchlight...the important centre of the eye is practically black, so has a lifeless look to it. The reflection in the upper part of the eye doesn't function as a true catchlight. It may be difficult to balance a cloned centre point with this bright upper part, i accept that.

What are you doing with your shiny new 540FGZ? It should have been out with you on this shoot... Would have given ideal natural looking illumination and catchlights
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Blythman
Posted 05/08/2014 - 00:15 Link
LOL Nigel. My natural catch lights stay
Alan


PPG
Flickr
davidstorm
Posted 05/08/2014 - 00:18 Link
McGregNi wrote:
Trouble is its the wrong sort of catchlight...the important centre of the eye is practically black, so has a lifeless look to it. The reflection in the upper part of the eye doesn't function as a true catchlight. It may be difficult to balance a cloned centre point with this bright upper part, i accept that.

What are you doing with your shiny new 540FGZ? It should have been out with you on this shoot... Would have given ideal natural looking illumination and catchlights
Now I am really starting to disagree with you Nigel! The catchlights are natural and look exactly so, there's nothing wrong here. To change them would be dishonest, unnecessary and counter productive.

Also the suggestion of the flash for these shots is not only unnecessary IMO, but would completely ruin the natural beauty and soft lighting that is so important to them.

There, I've said what I think again!

Cheers
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs
Algernon
Posted 05/08/2014 - 08:11 Link
McGregNi wrote:
What are you doing with your shiny new 540FGZ? It should have been out with you on this shoot... Would have given ideal natural looking illumination and catchlights
You can't go anywhere near a cyril with a flashgun even a weak
one..... The whole eye just lights up red even on grey cyrils

--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
McGregNi
Posted 05/08/2014 - 09:47 Link
I was thinking the flash distance is really very high at this focal length. Its not going to be the main lighting, powered down to say, 1/3rd total output needed for the distance it would just touch the squirrel gently with a little fill, giving some life to the eyes.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Algernon
Posted 05/08/2014 - 11:34 - Helpful Comment Link
Just won't work.... no matter how low you go
Example very weak flash and not full on to the eye...

Comment Image


--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
Edited by Algernon: 05/08/2014 - 11:34
McGregNi
Posted 05/08/2014 - 12:04 Link
That's a fair point ... although you're a lot closer to the squirrel there than any of Alans shots - you don't think the much greater distance will eliminate any red eye?

Perhaps a little cloning trick could work? Is it really 'dishonest' to do something like this? I accept that Alan is happy with the eyes anyway, that's fine - but if there was no reflection at all then surely a little subtle cloned-in speck in the centre would be perfectly acceptable?
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Edited by McGregNi: 05/08/2014 - 12:10
bforbes
Posted 05/08/2014 - 12:30 - Helpful Comment Link
McGregNi wrote:
Perhaps a little cloning trick could work? Is it really 'dishonest' to do something like this? I accept that Alan is happy with the eyes anyway, that's fine - but if there was no reflection at all then surely a little subtle cloned-in speck in the centre would be perfectly acceptable?
The RPS rules for nature Comps

"No techniques that add, relocate, replace, or remove pictorial elements except by cropping are permitted.
Techniques that enhance the presentation of the photograph without changing the nature story or the
pictorial content, or without altering the content of the original scene, are permitted including HDR,
focus-stacking and dodging/burning. Techniques that remove elements added by the camera, such as
dust spots, digital noise, and film scratches, are allowed. Stitched images are not permitted. All allowed
adjustments must appear natural to the viewer. Colour images can be converted to greyscale
monochrome. Infrared images, either direct captures or derivations, are not allowed."

I believe these are also the rules for a number of international Comps

Due to the bulbous shape of this animals eye I think the natural catch light is always going to be in the top half.
Algernon
Posted 05/08/2014 - 12:32 Link
You never get proper catchlights from a squirrels eye anyway so
it's best just to leave them as they are. Unfortunately a lot
of times the eye will be pure black which sadly usually
ruins the shot and it's not usually worth the bother of trying
to clone catchlights in.

The catchlights in Alans shots are actually very good for
squirrels. It's usually more like this.....

Comment Image


--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
McGregNi
Posted 05/08/2014 - 13:43 Link
Ah well, that's that then ... I didn't know there was an actual rule against it
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
doingthebobs
Posted 05/08/2014 - 23:39 Link
Lovely set Alan. Grass, eyes and all, perfect!

They work really well as a set for me, the close ups and the wider shots.
Bob
gwing
Posted 05/08/2014 - 23:59 Link
Blythman wrote:


As to the catchlights, I'd be grateful for more of an expalnation. I haven't done anything specific to the eyes. I have no plans to lose these actual catchlights and clone in new artificial, "more natural looking" catchlights.
That natural catchlight is just beautiful is just beautiful Alan - I can't think why anyone would want it changed - our Nigel must be starting to go blind I think
Quote:


Firstly, #3 re-posted
Comment Image


#3 is my favourite out of them all, the capture of concentration and alertness is superb. Considering my usual view of 'unnatural' colours I can't quite believe I'm saying this, but as a image in its own right I think I prefer the original colour balance even if it isn't as natural as the reworked one.
Blythman
Posted 06/08/2014 - 07:59 Link
Thank for the additional input and feedback. Always appreciated.

And thanks for putting that upstart Nigel in his place

David, these were taken with the K5 and DA 300
Alan


PPG
Flickr
McGregNi
Posted 06/08/2014 - 13:30 Link
Blythman wrote:

And thanks for putting that upstart Nigel in his place
Huh! Whats going on, our gwing's normally on MY side Rob, have you had a good look .... are you sure,... you can't see any halos or something? - maybe a halo on the catchlight?.... No? OK, not a problem, thats fine then ... I'll just go a sulk for a while. BUT --- I'LL BE BACK
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
jemx99
Posted 07/08/2014 - 23:11 Link
When I read Nigel's comment about the yellow (and David's about the red) I thought the guys maybe right (both red and yellow needed adjusting slightly?) the adjusted shot does seem that little bit more natural and with a tinge more contrast - however all excellent shots.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo