Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

A few from this weekends photoshoot

RalphHardwick
Posted 28/05/2014 - 14:28 Link
With this new level of honest critique I feel nervous posting these

Anyway I had a 5 hour session at the weekend with an 'very' extended family of 10 + dog) trying to cover almost every portrait option possible.

Over 200 photos, several hours of PP'ing, a lot of coffee and a few doses of ibruprofen later I have delivered their images and they all seemed to be very happy.

I thought I would share a few of my favourites here for your enjoyment and (yes I do mean it) critique. Please remember I am still planning to go professional in the near future so all comments are welcome. regardless of your experience you are all potential customers.

All taken with the K3 and DA 18-135. All on ISO 100, mainly f8 and 1/125 using elinchrom studio lights.

All PP done in LR5 mainly slight exposure tweaks, lightening shadows here and there, softening a bit, B&W where I felt it was apt and cropping.

Comment Image

Comment Image

Comment Image

Comment Image

Comment Image

Comment Image

Comment Image

Comment Image
---------------------------------------------------------------------
CaptureLight Ltd
flickr
"I carry a camera to capture memories and the occasional photograph worthy of sharing"
ChrisA
Posted 28/05/2014 - 15:17 Link
Well firstly of course, if the clients are happy, it doesn't matter a damn what any of us think

However, since you ask, I like all the colour ones, and dislike all the B&W ones.

Amazingly, for the same reason in each case - the B&W ones all seem a bit vacuous/gormless to me, whereas the colour ones all have alert expressions, and I can really engage with them all.

Kissy-kissy is very difficult to get natural, and I don't think you've achieved it with the one of the kid in the middle (which also looks quite goofy to me).

However, as I say, I think the colour ones are good. Obviously, but still nicely posed, and engaging expressions with no huge imbalances (except the baby in the big group, but it's small and not too distracting).

I'd desaturate the guy's cheeks in #7, though, he looks a bit like he's been overdoing the beers in recent years.
Pentax K-3, DA18-135, DA35 F2.4, DA17-70, DA55-300, FA28-200, A50 F1.7, A100 F4 Macro, A400 F5.6, Sigma 10-20 EXDC, 50-500 F4.5-6.3 APO DG OS Samsung flash SEF-54PZF(x2)
Edited by ChrisA: 28/05/2014 - 15:21
cabstar
Posted 28/05/2014 - 15:41 Link
Technically nothing bad to comment on, what I would suggest however is if you shoot portraits professionally I can't stress enough you advise clients to wear plain single coloured shirts, tops, blouses. Striped and patterned tops are just so distracting and messy looking.

Image 7 has the lady laying down looking straight down her top, remember clients will most likely be hanging these portraits on their walls.

I think if you get the posing and clothing right you will be fine
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography

Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released
ChrisA
Posted 28/05/2014 - 15:45 Link
cabstar wrote:
Image 7 has the lady laying down looking straight down her top, remember clients will most likely be hanging these portraits on their walls.

I noticed this, but there's nothing improper on show. Is this really thought of as a no-no in the pro-portraiture world?
Pentax K-3, DA18-135, DA35 F2.4, DA17-70, DA55-300, FA28-200, A50 F1.7, A100 F4 Macro, A400 F5.6, Sigma 10-20 EXDC, 50-500 F4.5-6.3 APO DG OS Samsung flash SEF-54PZF(x2)
johnriley
Posted 28/05/2014 - 15:48 Link
I like the final group best, that works well.

The black and white shots seem quite dark toned and lifeless, so a bit more contrast or livelier lighting would help.
Best regards, John
cabstar
Posted 28/05/2014 - 15:48 Link
If you are going to sell prints people won't buy prints like this, men can be fickle about wives on show etc as can women, it's purely commercial reasons.
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography

Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released
womble
Posted 28/05/2014 - 16:10 Link
I cannot shoot portraits worth a damn so I'm not going to comment apart from to say they are better than I could manage in a month of Sundays. I really like the dog but I'd crop the empty space off the top. Something like a 5x4 crop.

K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website
bwlchmawr
Posted 28/05/2014 - 18:06 Link
As Kris says, much better than I could do but, if you don't mind my saying: a bit lacklustre.
I took the liberty of checking the light levels in one shot and though it rather dull. What do you think?
Comment Image
Best wishes,

Andrew

"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference.  All of them can record what you are seeing.  But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050 http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05
Gravelrash
Posted 28/05/2014 - 18:21 Link
I think the customers will be happy. I would suggest though that using something between orange and red in the filter spectrum when making mono pics tends to be kinder to skin imperfections and improves contrast, in my view.

Well done.
Steve

Sometimes I'm serious and sometimes not, but I consider sarcasm an artform. Which is it today?
McGregNi
Posted 28/05/2014 - 18:45 Link
Ralph, well done, I think its getting off to a good start, and you're well on your way towards your goal ... I hope there will be a discount code for us on PU who might need your services one day!

All good advice from the people above on poses, clothing etc ... was that the first thing you noticed about number 7 there Gary?

On the technical side, just a couple of ideas from me ... I do think you could even out the shadows a bit, I mean pull them up a little towards a more 'high-key' toning overall - I just find there are patches of dark, little 'holes' here and there where the light hasn't penetrated which are distracting.

And I don't think anyone would mind the spot healing brush on the odd pimple / spot here and there.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
bwlchmawr
Posted 28/05/2014 - 19:10 Link
Gravelrash wrote:
I would suggest though that using something between orange and red in the filter spectrum when making mono pics tends to be kinder to skin imperfections and improves contrast, in my view.

Well done.

That's good advice. The last time I was unwise enough to take any portraits, the Lightness channel was brilliant for skin tones.
Best wishes,

Andrew

"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference.  All of them can record what you are seeing.  But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050 http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05
Gravelrash
Posted 28/05/2014 - 20:12 Link
By way of a friendly dig at ChrisA... but didn't you suggest in a previous post that "clique" was a word associated with negative connotations? With this in mind I would like you to dig out the thesaurus and in your next critique improve on the words "gormless" and "goofy" lol
Steve

Sometimes I'm serious and sometimes not, but I consider sarcasm an artform. Which is it today?
ChrisA
Posted 28/05/2014 - 20:47 Link
Gravelrash wrote:
By way of a friendly dig at ChrisA... but didn't you suggest in a previous post that "clique" was a word associated with negative connotations? With this in mind I would like you to dig out the thesaurus and in your next critique improve on the words "gormless" and "goofy" lol

Yes, you're right, I think. I should have chosen my words slightly more carefully.

Looking at them again, it's only the child in 6 that strikes me that way.

I still don't like the B&W ones, because the (presumably intended) effects don't seem to have come off. In 1, I'm guessing it's supposed to be a tender loving moment, but actually it looks like she's been up in the night a few too many times and has nodded off on the sofa....

.. and 3 is just too flat for my liking. The lack of eyes removes interest, and there's very little contrast.

I expect the parents love it, but #6 I really can't stand. I stand by gormless-looking there. And cheesy.... < shudder >
davidstorm
Posted 28/05/2014 - 20:58 Link
I'm no expert on the technical aspects of portraiture, so I'll just go with my gut feeling.

My favourite (by far) is the last one, the group shot. It's very relaxed, but just slightly formal if you know what I mean, and the effect is very nice.

I'm really sorry Ralph but I can't get excited about any of the other ones. I think it may be the processing rather than the images themselves, they all just look 'flat' to me. Andrew may have hit the nail on the head when he posted one that has had the levels lifted, I think it would make a tremendous difference to the vitality of these images to get the levels right in all of them.

Hope this is not too harsh, but you did mention at the beginning of the thread about the new levels of honest critique!

Regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs
bforbes
Posted 28/05/2014 - 21:14 Link
bwlchmawr wrote:
As Kris says, much better than I could do but, if you don't mind my saying: a bit lacklustre.
I took the liberty of checking the light levels in one shot and though it rather dull. What do you think?
Comment Image

I think you are correct.

I know it's good to have a catch light in the eye. Is two over kill?
Edited by bforbes: 28/05/2014 - 21:15

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.