A "kicker" for a Cocker

pschlute

Link Posted 29/05/2017 - 19:57
My latest portrait offering. For this I used a reflector dish for the main light from the left and a softbox providing fill from just right of camera. I added a kicker/hair light in the form of a snoot from high up, behind Rio and right of camera. A bit hit and miss how this would work as I am never sure where his head will be !

Once I have got the hang of a few techniques I may venture towards human subjects !

Appreciate any comments as usual.

Peter

My Flickr page

McGregNi

Link Posted 29/05/2017 - 22:17
I like the rim light! Its rather glamorous actually It may be perhaps 1/2 a stop too bright (?), but the play of light and shadow over the subject is very good I think. Good to see your explorations continuing in such a positive way.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver

Helpful

pschlute

Link Posted 29/05/2017 - 23:12
Thanks Nigel. Yes he seems to have aquired the Bonnie Tyler look in this one !

I did try and damp the highlight a bit in PP with Silkypix but couldnt adjust it satisfactorily. It didnt show as blown in the histogram on the camera so I think it is right on the edge.
Peter

My Flickr page

stub

Link Posted 30/05/2017 - 10:31
Just love people experimenting with light....
K-1Gripped K-1 ungripped K-5ii K7 Various lenses

Stuart..

Helpful

McGregNi

Link Posted 30/05/2017 - 11:28
I agree totally Stub! I still see comments from time to time from people who think that the latest DSLRs and their superb high ISO performance mean that flash is no longer needed ....

No, it's not like that at all! I think that digital technology has revitalised the use of flash, and more sophisticated use of flash as well, by helping us all to see the effects quickly and experiment. Also higher ISOs just mean we can get more power and performance from our flashes without losing the dynamic range and limiting noise for our flash images.

So the better performing cameras actually enhance and go alongside the greater use of flash .... The two are interconnected. Having a new, high performing DSLR is the best excuse for starting out with flash!
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver

Helpful

pentaxian450

Link Posted 01/06/2017 - 01:15
You should try cross lighting with your four legged friend. The result is often surprisingly good with dogs.

Here is the set up: two flashes at head level in line and pointing toward each other with the head of the animal in the middle of the line.

It will give a very even exposure on both side of the head with a darker line in the middle of the head, if the animal is looking directly toward the camera. The width of the darker line can be varied by slightly moving both flashes forward or backward. By moving one flash forward and one backward, you can move the darker band right or left. The results is sometimes unpredictable, but always interesting, but not always what you expect. Surprisingly, very often, P-TTL works decently with cross lighting, so you can use it as a baseline and correct the exposure with different compensation on each flashes, or flash compensation on the camera for overall correction.

Light boxes or umbrella don't really work with this set up because they change the point light to a rather large beam, eliminating the darker band on the animal portrait.

For best results, I recommend using a flash meter in manual mode. It gives more predictable results. This set up can also be used for portrait with very good resuts.
Yves (another one of those crazy Canucks)
Last Edited by pentaxian450 on 01/06/2017 - 01:17

pschlute

Link Posted 01/06/2017 - 01:53
Thanks for that suggestion Yves, I will put that in my notebook to try out.
Peter

My Flickr page
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.