55-300 repair

mattox
Posted 26/03/2014 - 20:52 Link
After a past topic on the forum with regard to a focusing issue I have with the lens, I was kindly suggested by a fellow pentaxian to send the lens to AM Technical Services in Middlesex. Basically the lens is very soft from pretty much 100mm through to 300mm. Problem now is the technician cant find where the defect is with the lens and needs to get in contact with pentax to find out if they are aware of any problems with past lenses. Any of you guys got any ideas out there what the problem might be?

https://www.pentaxuser.com/images/comment_pictures/9164/9164_1369587894.jpg
davidstorm
Posted 26/03/2014 - 21:01 Link
Are you using any filter on the lens? If so, remove it and try it again. The 55-300 does not like filters of any kind.

Secondly, is the lens calibrated to the camera for AF? If not, it should be and this could be the problem. My 55-300 is fantastic, but almost got binned when I first owned it. The focus accuracy with my first K-x was abysmal, then I tried it on a different camera and it was transformed. I wouldn't assume the lens is at fault until you have eradicated all other possibilities.

Regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs
cbrog
Posted 26/03/2014 - 23:22 Link
+1 with David on this, my 55-300 is astonishingly good for what is really a cheapish kit zoom lens. The AF is, on mine at least, pretty awful though

I assume you have tried focusing the lens manually - that would decide whether or not the lens was at fault?

Roger.
Edited by cbrog: 26/03/2014 - 23:23
dpm
Posted 27/03/2014 - 07:32 Link
there are a couple of lens elements positioned on shims. Dunno the effect of getting one that's been badly done in the factory.
mattox
Posted 27/03/2014 - 18:44 Link
Tried taking the uv off. Doesn't change anything. Manual focus is so hard to pinpoint as the soft focusing is only visible on the computer. Tried calibrating, but had no luck. Ay other thoughts greatly appreciated
gwing
Posted 27/03/2014 - 19:16 Link
Looking at the sample image I'd say you have either been very careless with your focus test or, if the target is actually flat, there is something really, really wrong with that lens.

If your lens technician can't find the fault sending it to Pentax for fettling seems the next step.
mattox
Posted 27/03/2014 - 19:59 Link
Already sent it to Pentax (Foya) in France through a local camera retailer and without great description I was told the lens would cost about 200 pound to get fixed. Not really worth it considering you can by a new one for that price
mattox
Posted 27/03/2014 - 20:05 Link
Mind you, the lens did work perfectly prior to a trip to Argentina last year some something is surely broken or jolted I'd say
davidstorm
Posted 27/03/2014 - 20:17 Link
I would be tempted to buy a new one, after reading more of this thread and seeing your sample image. The DA L version can be bought new for well under £200, this is the one I have and it is superb. I've never felt the need for 'quick shift' and the plastic lens mount is not an issue for me. If you get a good copy of this lens you will be impressed by its performance.

Regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo