540 PCB Fault ??
Posted 26/05/2009 - 12:12
Link
Deecy wrote:
I had a 540 go wrong, would flash but seemed to be out of sync with the camera and I got dark images. Nothing we did seemed to make a difference so we sent it off for repair and got this reply:
"I have had a look at the flashgun, The charge pcb is faulty, but the the whole PCB will have to be replaced, which can cost £150 plus Labour.
I have tried to order this part, but I have had no joy, and no delivery date. I feel it may be uneconomical to repair. Please let me know if you want me to send it back."
Anyone had the same problem?
Since sending that one off our other 540 has developed the same issue, any help would be much appreciated
To have two go the same way in a short time is odd are you sure it,s not the camera?I had a 540 go wrong, would flash but seemed to be out of sync with the camera and I got dark images. Nothing we did seemed to make a difference so we sent it off for repair and got this reply:
"I have had a look at the flashgun, The charge pcb is faulty, but the the whole PCB will have to be replaced, which can cost £150 plus Labour.
I have tried to order this part, but I have had no joy, and no delivery date. I feel it may be uneconomical to repair. Please let me know if you want me to send it back."
Anyone had the same problem?
Since sending that one off our other 540 has developed the same issue, any help would be much appreciated
Is the camera sending to much trigger voltage to the flash, only a thourght mind
Tel,
Posted 26/05/2009 - 12:16
Link
No we sent it to Asahi Photo Ltd as we wanted a quick turnaround and Pentax have always taken so long. There's no charge for the diagnosis and I'm definitely having it back from them so I could send it off somewhere else.
The problem didn't seem to be a charging issue though, so I'm wondering if it's been diagnosed correctly.
They are both out of warranty, maybe had them for 18 months/2 years. We use them a lot - maybe 2/3 weddings every week 1000 shots minimum each wedding maybe 1/3 - 1/2 of those with some flash. We have spares, a 400 & a 360 but having two go at the same time is not funny!
The problem didn't seem to be a charging issue though, so I'm wondering if it's been diagnosed correctly.
They are both out of warranty, maybe had them for 18 months/2 years. We use them a lot - maybe 2/3 weddings every week 1000 shots minimum each wedding maybe 1/3 - 1/2 of those with some flash. We have spares, a 400 & a 360 but having two go at the same time is not funny!
Posted 26/05/2009 - 12:19
Link
They are used on different cameras - initially on two K10s and more recently on two K20s, else I would agree with you. It does seem suss that they both go at the same [ish] time but maybe that's an age issue as they are both as old as each other.
Posted 26/05/2009 - 12:26
Link
Sounds like poor quality Chinese capacitors, loads of electrical stuff fails after 2-3 years because of them. I've got two Panasonic DVD recorders that are about 3 years old and showing signs of failing anytime now.
shim
shim
Posted 26/05/2009 - 22:07
Link
If you are able to do so take a look at the capacitors like shim suggests. If it is built in a way that you can give it a go with a soldering iron it could very well be a cheap fix to this problem.
Camera:K20D|Ist*DS|Spotmatic II|MZ-10
Pentax Lenses: DA16-45|DA50-200|50A 1.7
Tamron Lenses: 28-200
Takumar Lenses: SMC 55 1.8
Sigma Lenses: EX DG 50-500 'Bigma'|EX 50mm Macro
Flashes: Metz 58 AF-1|Samsung SEF-36PZF|Pentax AF-220T
Pentax Lenses: DA16-45|DA50-200|50A 1.7
Tamron Lenses: 28-200
Takumar Lenses: SMC 55 1.8
Sigma Lenses: EX DG 50-500 'Bigma'|EX 50mm Macro
Flashes: Metz 58 AF-1|Samsung SEF-36PZF|Pentax AF-220T
Posted 27/05/2009 - 12:33
Link
Quote:
If you are able to do so take a look at the capacitors like shim suggests. If it is built in a way that you can give it a go with a soldering iron it could very well be a cheap fix to this problem.
I would strongly recommend against that If you are able to do so take a look at the capacitors like shim suggests. If it is built in a way that you can give it a go with a soldering iron it could very well be a cheap fix to this problem.
Have you ever touched a flashgun capacitor before?? It's not funny at all
Take up the 2year EU consumer law
Matt
http://www.mattmatic.co.uk
(For gallery, tips and links)
(For gallery, tips and links)
Posted 27/05/2009 - 12:39
Link
MattMatic wrote:
Have you ever touched a flashgun capacitor before?? It's not funny at all
Take up the 2year EU consumer law
Matt
Seconded. Capacitors can be VERY nasty.
Quote:
If you are able to do so take a look at the capacitors like shim suggests. If it is built in a way that you can give it a go with a soldering iron it could very well be a cheap fix to this problem.
I would strongly recommend against that If you are able to do so take a look at the capacitors like shim suggests. If it is built in a way that you can give it a go with a soldering iron it could very well be a cheap fix to this problem.
Have you ever touched a flashgun capacitor before?? It's not funny at all
Take up the 2year EU consumer law
Matt
Posted 27/05/2009 - 13:44
Link
golfdiesel wrote:
If you are able to do so take a look at the capacitors like shim suggests. If it is built in a way that you can give it a go with a soldering iron it could very well be a cheap fix to this problem.
Very dangerous, potentially fatal. Don't do it unless you are experienced in handling electronic components.If you are able to do so take a look at the capacitors like shim suggests. If it is built in a way that you can give it a go with a soldering iron it could very well be a cheap fix to this problem.
A company I worked for many years ago made ionisation testing equipment used for testing the insulating properties of items like vehicle dristributor components. I used to test and calibrate the 'baby' ones at 10,000 volts and a shock from that soon woke you up.
A more experienced colleague dealt with the 'big boys' machine which generated 250,000 volts. Even having taken all the necessary safety precautions before, during, and after testing, all except grounding the main electrode to discharge the residual static after turning it off that is, he touched it and spent the next 20 minutes on the floor unconcious. He suffered no permanent harm.
Peter E Smith - flickr Photostream
Posted 27/05/2009 - 14:27
Link
Ok, yes you have to take precautions but when the capacitor is fully discharged there is no risk in handling them.
Just make sure that there is no residual charge left and there can't be a problem...
Got zapped by a sparkplug a couple of times and that is 30.000 volt. It itches a little but nothing more. The current is so low that the risk is quite low.
And yes, I know the voltage in a flashgun is rated at "high voltage" because it is over the 1500V DC low voltage limit (yes, everything below 1500V DC is considered low voltage)
Just make sure that there is no residual charge left and there can't be a problem...
Got zapped by a sparkplug a couple of times and that is 30.000 volt. It itches a little but nothing more. The current is so low that the risk is quite low.
And yes, I know the voltage in a flashgun is rated at "high voltage" because it is over the 1500V DC low voltage limit (yes, everything below 1500V DC is considered low voltage)
Camera:K20D|Ist*DS|Spotmatic II|MZ-10
Pentax Lenses: DA16-45|DA50-200|50A 1.7
Tamron Lenses: 28-200
Takumar Lenses: SMC 55 1.8
Sigma Lenses: EX DG 50-500 'Bigma'|EX 50mm Macro
Flashes: Metz 58 AF-1|Samsung SEF-36PZF|Pentax AF-220T
Pentax Lenses: DA16-45|DA50-200|50A 1.7
Tamron Lenses: 28-200
Takumar Lenses: SMC 55 1.8
Sigma Lenses: EX DG 50-500 'Bigma'|EX 50mm Macro
Flashes: Metz 58 AF-1|Samsung SEF-36PZF|Pentax AF-220T
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


61 posts
22 years
"I have had a look at the flashgun, The charge pcb is faulty, but the the whole PCB will have to be replaced, which can cost £150 plus Labour.
I have tried to order this part, but I have had no joy, and no delivery date. I feel it may be uneconomical to repair. Please let me know if you want me to send it back."
Anyone had the same problem?
Since sending that one off our other 540 has developed the same issue, any help would be much appreciated
2x K20D, 2x K10D, istDS, 2x AF 540FGZ & Pentax lenses + back-up kit