50-135 2.8 SDM

ishpuini
Posted 08/04/2008 - 14:57 Link
Quote:
Could you post some times please?

A comparison between the time, in milliseconds, for a focus travel from infinity to a given point.
Then the time from minimum focus distance to that same point.
A measurement each for SDM and Non-SDM focussing should be enough.
Light measurements would help.
I would love to comply, but I have sold my K10D in the mean time and the K20D doesn't allow screw drive with the DA*s. I suppose I could block the powerzoom contacts by inserting some insulating material, but to be honest I prefer not to subject my lens to this.

Quote:
Finally, may we know what equipment you used to make these measurements?
I didn't note the exact observations.
Here's my review after some limited time with my DA*s:
http://wim-pentax.blogspot.com/2007/08/about-one-month-and-half-ago-i-ordered.ht...

My measurements were not scientific, they are just observations, but I compared extensively and the DA*50-135/2.8 hunting from infinity to closest focus matched up against my Sigma EX70-200/2.8 hunting up and down most closely. After the upgrade the comparisons were the same.

I would love to provide hard figures and facts, but you will have to take my word for it.

BTW, I'm really not alone in this statement. Other owners who tried have confirmed this. Pentax doesn't claim speed improvement either. I seem to remember reading this in an interview with a Japanese member of the engineering team behind the lenses.

Wim
Grew up and still growing up with Pentax (P50->SFXn->*istDS->K10D->K20D)
Mannesty
Posted 08/04/2008 - 15:11 Link
I wasn't doubting your claim, but hard scientific evidence is always better than a personal impression.

I have the DA* 50-135mm lens too, and have no complaints about it's focussing abilities. So far, I've mostly used mine in a concert environment where the light is less than ideal. The lens performed very well.
Peter E Smith - flickr Photostream

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo