35mm vs 50mm
Posted 01/05/2012 - 07:52
Link
In terms of field of view, the 50 is a short telephoto and the 35 is roughly equivalent to the human eye. The IQ of the 35 is absolutely superb and of course you get AF as well.
Everyone here who has the DA35 f2.4 is amazed at just how good it is although Pentax should have called it a DAL since it has the plastic mount, no included hood, and no quick shift. No bug deal really.
If you do get one you should be looking for a 50mm (in 135 format terms) lens hood such as the Pentax clip on one for the Pentax-F 50mm f1.7 of f1.4.
Everyone here who has the DA35 f2.4 is amazed at just how good it is although Pentax should have called it a DAL since it has the plastic mount, no included hood, and no quick shift. No bug deal really.
If you do get one you should be looking for a 50mm (in 135 format terms) lens hood such as the Pentax clip on one for the Pentax-F 50mm f1.7 of f1.4.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
Posted 03/05/2012 - 09:41
Link
I recently bought a 35mm second hand and find it more useful than the 50mm, not as sharp but that's good for portraits in my opinion.
C&C welcome.
Don.
Don.
Posted 03/05/2012 - 10:17
Link
I bought a CZJ Flektagon 35mm f 2.4. M42 mount.Manual focus of course. Very sharp even wide open and very close focussing handy as well.It had a good work out recently on wild orchids and farm scenes. Highly recommended.
bb2
bb2
K5, K20D, Bigma, Sigma EX 105, Sigma EX 10-20, Sigma EX 28-70 F2.8, Sigma Ex 1.4TC,
Pentax 135 F3.5, Pentax 30mm F2.8 , Pentax 50mm F1.7, Pentax 55mm F1.8,
Super Taks: 35mm F3.5, 50mm F1.4, 135mm F3.5, 200mm F4
Vivitar TX 200mm F3.5,Vivitar (Komine)135mm f2.8, Vivitar 2X TC, Vivitar T4 400mm F6.3
Tamron SP 35-80,80-210 F3.8, Helios 44M, Mir 1B 37mm F2.8, Jupiter 9 85mm F2, Chinon 28mm F2.8, 3M-5A 500mm F8 etc etc
Posted 03/05/2012 - 13:45
Link
The 35mm has taken over from my 50mm f1.4, unless I want very low light capability or very narrow depth of field.
Bodies: K5IIs, K7, MZ5n, LX, MV
Lenses: DA*16-50, DA18-55WR, DA18-135, DAL35, M50 F2, A50 f1.4, FA50 f1.4, DA*50-135, DA55-300, Tamron 70-300, DFA 100 WR Macro, M135 f3.5, Sigma 120-400 APO DG HSM, Tokina 500 f8.0
Flash: Metz 58, Metz 48
Accessories: BG4, Pentax right angle finder, Pentax mirror adaptor lens, O-ME53 Viewfinder Loupe
Auto 110 System: Auto 110, Winder, 18mm, 24mm, 50mm, 70mm, 20-40mm, AF100P, 1.7x telecon
Lenses: DA*16-50, DA18-55WR, DA18-135, DAL35, M50 F2, A50 f1.4, FA50 f1.4, DA*50-135, DA55-300, Tamron 70-300, DFA 100 WR Macro, M135 f3.5, Sigma 120-400 APO DG HSM, Tokina 500 f8.0
Flash: Metz 58, Metz 48
Accessories: BG4, Pentax right angle finder, Pentax mirror adaptor lens, O-ME53 Viewfinder Loupe
Auto 110 System: Auto 110, Winder, 18mm, 24mm, 50mm, 70mm, 20-40mm, AF100P, 1.7x telecon
Posted 04/05/2012 - 06:40
Link
It's a magnificent little lens! The 35/2.4 has a really good IQ. In fact, I was recently thinking of buying the FA31 Ltd and even had it on a test, but when comparing results I couldn't find a reason to spend extra money on the ltd, since I already had the 35/2.4. FA31 is slightly sharper wide open, plus it has slightly shallower DOF and is almost a stop faster, but AF performance of DA35/2.4 is far more accurate IMHO.
Link to my PPG
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


102 posts
14 years
Manchester
I've been thinking about buying the DA 35mm f2.4 soon, as I find the 50mm M f1.7 I have just that bit too close when walking around and I was wondering, is there a huge amount of difference in these lenses, is the 35mm IQ as good as the old 50mm?
I would love one of the limited ones, but I'm not really clued up on them.
Regards,
Nick.