2CR5 batteries

skydata

Link Posted 24/03/2022 - 18:00
Lubbyman wrote:
What worked for you in the past might not work in the future. The law changed on 14 March. 'Strong Customer Authentication' is now required for many online transactions in order to improve security. My bank and credit card providers have each sent me details in the last couple of weeks. In essence, the supplier must confirm that the customer is genuine. This typically involves sending a confirmation code to the customer (e.g. by text message) that the customer must then input to the supplier's website within a limited time. If you don't give the correct phone number then you won't get the message and won't be able to confirm the purchase (other methods are apparently available if you don't have a mobile phone). It's your choice...

Steve

Well I always use the PIN Sentry reader for online transactions and online banking, so I don't need to
use any additional 2FA, surely ?

If I was buying a £2000+ camera online I would accept that additional checks should be
done, but a £3.97 battery ?, really ?

JAK

Link Posted 24/03/2022 - 18:40
skydata wrote:
Park Cameras have them for £3.97 (open box ??) but their online ordering system
has made mobile phone number a mandatory field. I don't have a mobile phone !!!.
WTF is wrong with companies that do this ?

Can't you order by means of a phone call to them?
John K

Lubbyman

Link Posted 24/03/2022 - 19:23
skydata wrote:

Well I always use the PIN Sentry reader for online transactions and online banking, so I don't need to
use any additional 2FA, surely ?

Correct. It's one of the methods available to people who don't have a mobile phone.

I don't know whether a check would be required for a £3-97p battery. The system is to prevent fraud. If a fraudster makes 1000 £2 purchases using 1000 stolen credit card numbers, they've got away with a £2000 fraud - just as much of a problem for the financial institutions as a single £2000 purchase. We'll just have to wait and see what happens,

Steve

Jonathan-Mac

Link Posted 25/03/2022 - 10:47
skydata wrote:
Even if I did have a mobile I would never let any remote site have it, and surely
to request it is a breach of GDPR anyway?.

A

You're not in the EU any more, GDPR doesn't apply. Even if it did, requesting a phone number is not against it if it's for a legitimate purpose and they handle and store the data correctly.

2FA should work fine with e-mail anyway, which you pretty much need to have if you're buying online.

And I don't see why purchases couldn't be made over the phone.

Still, even in 2022 it should be possible to find camera batteries locally.
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3 & K200D, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses
Last Edited by Jonathan-Mac on 25/03/2022 - 10:49

womble

Link Posted 25/03/2022 - 12:34
Jonathan-Mac wrote:
skydata wrote:
Even if I did have a mobile I would never let any remote site have it, and surely
to request it is a breach of GDPR anyway?.

A

You're not in the EU any more, GDPR doesn't apply. Even if it did, requesting a phone number is not against it if it's for a legitimate purpose and they handle and store the data correctly.

2FA should work fine with e-mail anyway, which you pretty much need to have if you're buying online.

And I don't see why purchases couldn't be made over the phone.

Still, even in 2022 it should be possible to find camera batteries locally.

Mostly, yes, but 2CR5s... no. I was trying recently to get some locally to test a Canon I was selling and couldn't find one for love or money.

Best wishes, Kris.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.