2 'street' portraits

cardiffgareth

Link Posted 17/05/2022 - 14:01
Walked past this man and saw he was engrossed reading his book. Managed to compose myself in terms of distance and drop to a knee to lower myself to his level without him even looking up or acknowledging me.

St Fagans by Gareth Williams, on Flickr

This man on the other hand did see me as I pointed the camera in his direction. After I took the image I explained what I was doing in case he wondered and wanted me to delete the image but he was very happy to have had his image taken.

St Fagans by Gareth Williams, on Flickr

Both shot with my Pentax K3ii and FA 35mm
Gareth
Welsh Photographer

My outfit: K1 gripped - K3ii - two Z-1P - Pentax D FA 24-70mm - Sigma 70-200mm OS HSM - Pentax modified DA* 60-250mm f4 - Irix 15mm Firefly - Pentax FA 35mm - FA 50mm - Sigma EX 20mm - FA 28-70mm f4 - Tamron SP 90mm macro - Pentax AF 540 FGZ II

My Flickr
My PPG
Foundation NFT

loadoftripe

Link Posted 17/05/2022 - 14:47
Nice street shots and the black and white works well.

Helpful

Urbanmeister

Link Posted 17/05/2022 - 16:28
As always, lovely work there. As loadoftrip wrote, B&W works well.
Be well, stay safe.

Helpful

christaelrod

Link Posted 18/05/2022 - 08:47
Awesome shots. I love both photographs.

Helpful

Lubbyman

Link Posted 18/05/2022 - 11:36
An interesting and contrasting pair of photos that, like many good photos of this type, raises unanswered questions. Such as why it's the man with collar and tie who is wearing hiking boots while the highly polished, smart shoes are being worn by the man with a casual shirt.

As others have noted, the B&W works well. Perhaps it's because of the strong lines in the composition. The vertical lines of the background tree trunks mimicking the vertical lines of the foreground seat was no doubt a conscious choice made by the photographer rather than simply a coincidence .

Steve

Helpful

jvs

Link Posted 19/05/2022 - 16:59
I was thinking just the same things as Steve before I saw his comment, particularly about the boots! Good pictures, making the viewer think about what he/she is seeing.
John

Helpful

cardiffgareth

Link Posted 20/05/2022 - 11:26
Thanks all. I shot 3 images of the first fellow, two from a slightly higher up from a standing position as a quick grab shot in both portrait and landscape. I then shot at a lower level to improve the composition as I felt the verticals were skewed and I didn't like the slight looking down feel it had to it.

I think the other gentleman was on a tour and part of the Chepstow Male Choir, I was hoping for a flash mob sing-along but it never happened
Gareth
Welsh Photographer

My outfit: K1 gripped - K3ii - two Z-1P - Pentax D FA 24-70mm - Sigma 70-200mm OS HSM - Pentax modified DA* 60-250mm f4 - Irix 15mm Firefly - Pentax FA 35mm - FA 50mm - Sigma EX 20mm - FA 28-70mm f4 - Tamron SP 90mm macro - Pentax AF 540 FGZ II

My Flickr
My PPG
Foundation NFT

davidwozhere

Link Posted 21/05/2022 - 01:13
I had exactly the same thoughts about the footwear. Goes to show - always make sure your shoes are clean - photographers (at least) notice! I wish I could drop to one knee though. When I do, it always puts great strain on the tripod and even more getting back up again. Fortunately, it's a carbon fiber one.

And Welcome to the new member, christaelrod - we'd love to see some of your pictures too.
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd - link
Last Edited by davidwozhere on 21/05/2022 - 01:14

Helpful

cardiffgareth

Link Posted 23/05/2022 - 14:20
Thanks David. Not too good about the getting back up though.
Gareth
Welsh Photographer

My Flickr
My PPG
Foundation NFT
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.