1st try with Hitech Grad filters
Posted 05/06/2012 - 23:36
Link
A stunning result Alan, those filters seem to be high quality, but of course the photographer has something to do with it too.
Regards
David
Regards
David
Posted 06/06/2012 - 08:41
Link
Hi Alan,
What a great result!
How are you finding the filters. I have been considering buying some for a while but can't get my head round paying so much for Lee.
Cheers,
ds
What a great result!
How are you finding the filters. I have been considering buying some for a while but can't get my head round paying so much for Lee.
Cheers,
ds
This space deliberately left blank.
Posted 06/06/2012 - 09:24
Link
That's a great shot Alan ! I bought a variable ND grad to play around with plus a 10 stop a couple of months ago .... but still haven't found the water/clouds and location I want to shoot yet !
http://frogfish.smugmug.com/ Pentax. Pentax DA*300/4, Cosina 55/1.2, Lens Baby Composer Pro & Edge 80, AFA x1.7, Metz 50 af1.
Nikon. D800. D600. Sigma 500/4.5, Nikon 300/2.8 VRII, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 35/2.0, Sigma 50/1.4, Nikkor 85/1.8, Nikon TC20EIII, Nikon TC14EII, Kenko x1.4, Sigma 2.0
Nikon. D800. D600. Sigma 500/4.5, Nikon 300/2.8 VRII, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 35/2.0, Sigma 50/1.4, Nikkor 85/1.8, Nikon TC20EIII, Nikon TC14EII, Kenko x1.4, Sigma 2.0
Posted 06/06/2012 - 09:29
Link
Where is the kingfisher: and the fox: No great shot Alan
Barrie - Too Old To Die Young
https://pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/barrieforbes
https://www.flickr.com/photos/189482630@N03/
https://pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/barrieforbes
https://www.flickr.com/photos/189482630@N03/
Posted 06/06/2012 - 10:08
Link
Thanks for comments everyone.
darkskies wrote:
How are you finding the filters. I have been considering buying some for a while but can't get my head round paying so much for Lee.
Early days. There is a colour cast. A pink tinge which I had to work on. Not too severe though. I don't think I can justify the price of Lee filters. I will add Hitech soft Grads to these in time, but chose the hard set first as I live by the sea, so will primarily be shooting images with a defined horizon.How are you finding the filters. I have been considering buying some for a while but can't get my head round paying so much for Lee.
bforbes wrote:
Where is the kingfisher: and the fox: No great shot Alan
Got some red squirrels from yesterday I can share
Where is the kingfisher: and the fox: No great shot Alan
Posted 06/06/2012 - 13:54
Link
I'd love to see how good their reverse nd grad is, if the colour tinge can be worked on
... just another middle-aged guy with a hobby. I have an extreme macro learning site at extreme-macro.co.uk - Pentax-centric, your feedback and comments would be appreciated!
Posted 06/06/2012 - 14:35
Link
Excuse me for not seeing this, but the thread is titled "Grad filters", but I cnnot see any evidence of graduation in the image. It looks like a very long time exposure without the use of a filter. Forgive me if I am wrong.
Pentax K1-ii and MZ6
Pentax Lenses 28-80 F, 300 DA*, 80-200 F, 35 F2.4 AL, M50 F1.7, 28-105 DFA, 20 F4 SMC
ONE UNITED Member
Pentax Lenses 28-80 F, 300 DA*, 80-200 F, 35 F2.4 AL, M50 F1.7, 28-105 DFA, 20 F4 SMC
ONE UNITED Member
Posted 06/06/2012 - 15:27
Link
Very nice work Alan. I don't know anything about grad filters but it works for me, that sky is just lovely...jeff...
Posted 06/06/2012 - 15:32
Link
walkeja wrote:
Excuse me for not seeing this, but the thread is titled "Grad filters", but I cnnot see any evidence of graduation in the image. It looks like a very long time exposure without the use of a filter. Forgive me if I am wrong.
Thanks John. The last thing you want when using Grad filters is to make it obvious. Without the grad over the sky, it would have been burnt out
Excuse me for not seeing this, but the thread is titled "Grad filters", but I cnnot see any evidence of graduation in the image. It looks like a very long time exposure without the use of a filter. Forgive me if I am wrong.
Posted 06/06/2012 - 17:09
Link
Hi Alan
Very nice result. Similar feel to what I often get with my Hitech 10 stop ND on the Sigma 10-20.
My ND grads are Cokin P - have you used the Cokin ones Alan? If so how do you rate the Hitech Vs Cokin?
Looks to me as if you have got a better result here than I do stacking the Cokins
Carl
Very nice result. Similar feel to what I often get with my Hitech 10 stop ND on the Sigma 10-20.
My ND grads are Cokin P - have you used the Cokin ones Alan? If so how do you rate the Hitech Vs Cokin?
Looks to me as if you have got a better result here than I do stacking the Cokins
Carl
No matter how many lenses I have owned - I have always needed just one more
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


4248 posts
16 years
Blyth,
Northumberland
Used them for the first time last night.
Used them on the Sigma 10-20
0.9 Grad across the whole scene to increase exposure time (acts like a uniform ND filter), then an additional 0.6 Grad across the sky.
Full exif available via the flickr link.
Blyth beach by Blythman1960, on Flickr
PPG
Flickr