18-55mm or 18-135mm
Posted 28/12/2013 - 10:32
Link
Other than the obvious extended zoom range the nicest thing about the 18- 135 DA WR is the fast, whisper quiet DC AF motor. In use its IQ is excellent. List price some places is an absurd £499. SRS did have some unboxed 2 year warranty new for £325 before Christmas. Used hard to find but recently bought one on here for a friend at £215. Bargain!
Be warned, there is no marked manual focus scale on these lenses. The focus ring has quick shift but is continuous.
Be warned, there is no marked manual focus scale on these lenses. The focus ring has quick shift but is continuous.
Posted 28/12/2013 - 10:45
Link
These are really questions only you can answer. The 18-135mm is a lovely lens that I use all the time and I wouldn't use the 18-55mm instead. The latter is on the K20D now for eBay images, for which it is excellent.
If you get an 18-135mm you might as well keep the 18-55mm as a spare. The low price these fetch is a tragedy. The 55-300mm will serve very well and the new HD version, although desirable, could perhaps wait for a while? The 17-70mm I have never tried so I'll leave it to others to comment on that one.
If you get an 18-135mm you might as well keep the 18-55mm as a spare. The low price these fetch is a tragedy. The 55-300mm will serve very well and the new HD version, although desirable, could perhaps wait for a while? The 17-70mm I have never tried so I'll leave it to others to comment on that one.
Best regards, John
Posted 28/12/2013 - 16:46
Link
I am kind of swinging towards holding onto the 18-55, if both lenses are pretty much a muchness in the 18-55 there is no real need to get the 18-135, the £325 price was what was getting me interested.
After looking at how often the K-r stayed in the bag for lousy weather even after getting a few of the covers and using tesco carriers I decided the weather protection was worth the jump, I reckon I should wait a little while see if I need the extra reach in the wet stuff, I may be suffering from a little of the post Christmas sale offers 10% off lenses and that, may just keep the remaining savings and go for one of the DA* next year
After looking at how often the K-r stayed in the bag for lousy weather even after getting a few of the covers and using tesco carriers I decided the weather protection was worth the jump, I reckon I should wait a little while see if I need the extra reach in the wet stuff, I may be suffering from a little of the post Christmas sale offers 10% off lenses and that, may just keep the remaining savings and go for one of the DA* next year
Pint o' rough & a game o' darts anyone
Posted 28/12/2013 - 17:19
Link
I think you should try the DA18-135 and actually experience the difference in handling compared with the kit lens. As Bill comments the fast silent accurate focusing makes it a delight to use. The kit lens is good as kit lenses go but the AF is slower and much noisier.
As you have upgraded to the K-3 you really should match it with the best general purpose lens that is enjoyable in use. The extra focal length is useful too. I think SRS still have some at £325.
As you have upgraded to the K-3 you really should match it with the best general purpose lens that is enjoyable in use. The extra focal length is useful too. I think SRS still have some at £325.
Archie
Posted 28/12/2013 - 18:04
Link
I started with a K-5 18-55 + 50-200 kit - a complete weather sealed set. Later I did buy an 18-135 and even if it is not always sharp in corners, it is a good lens, very convenient, covers most of what I want, and is the zoom that is left on the camera, with 12-24 and 55-300 in the bag.
However if you were on a tight budget and already have the 18-55 WR, then at least in the short term, you could consider the 50-200 WR to give you a weather proof setup with 18-200mm coverage. If you can stretch to the new HD 55-300 WR so much the better. Were money no object, I'm sure you would be looking at the *60-250. The only catch is weather sealing when changing lenses!
Do let us know how you get on with the HD if you decide to buy it.
However if you were on a tight budget and already have the 18-55 WR, then at least in the short term, you could consider the 50-200 WR to give you a weather proof setup with 18-200mm coverage. If you can stretch to the new HD 55-300 WR so much the better. Were money no object, I'm sure you would be looking at the *60-250. The only catch is weather sealing when changing lenses!
Do let us know how you get on with the HD if you decide to buy it.
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


343 posts
14 years
Currently in the zoom range I use the 17-70 and 55-300 and really love the 55-300, so thinking about this would I be better getting the 55-300hd and selling my non-wr version to complement the k3 and the da18-55mm-wr?