16-50 DA finally dead
Posted 27/10/2011 - 16:43
Link
Luck
Pentax K10D + Vivitar 55/2.8 macro + Super Takumar 55/1.8 + SuperMultiCoated Takumar 85/1.8 + SuperMultiCoated Takumar 135/3.5 + SuperMultiCoated Takumar 200/4 + Super Takumar 300/4
Pentax K100D + DA18-55ALII + DA55-300
Pentax K5 + FA31Ltd + M50/1.7 + DFA100WR + M120/2.8 (+ DA18-55WR at occasion)
Pentax K100D + DA18-55ALII + DA55-300
Pentax K5 + FA31Ltd + M50/1.7 + DFA100WR + M120/2.8 (+ DA18-55WR at occasion)
Posted 27/10/2011 - 17:03
Link
I'm not sure how consumer protection works there, but I'd have thought you'd have a claim under the EU laws relating to goods being of reasonable quality assuming that you're the first owner?
I have seen a guide to DIY repairs of SDM lenses which I would probably try first if mine failed out of warranty. It basically involved unscrewing the lens mount and wiggling the SDM motor with a screwdriver to un-stick it. Given I've had A-series and AF lenses apart before now (and reassembled them in full working order) I doubt it would be that much harder, and if it didn't work I'd just reassemble and send it for a professional fix.
I have seen a guide to DIY repairs of SDM lenses which I would probably try first if mine failed out of warranty. It basically involved unscrewing the lens mount and wiggling the SDM motor with a screwdriver to un-stick it. Given I've had A-series and AF lenses apart before now (and reassembled them in full working order) I doubt it would be that much harder, and if it didn't work I'd just reassemble and send it for a professional fix.
Matt
Shooting the Welsh Wilderness with K-m, KX, MX, ME Super and assorted lenses.
Shooting the Welsh Wilderness with K-m, KX, MX, ME Super and assorted lenses.
Posted 27/10/2011 - 17:56
Link
Dangermouse wrote:
I'm not sure how consumer protection works there, but I'd have thought you'd have a claim under the EU laws relating to goods being of reasonable quality assuming that you're the first owner
Yes, that is exactly how it works, as Italy applies the EU regulations on the matter.
I'm not sure how consumer protection works there, but I'd have thought you'd have a claim under the EU laws relating to goods being of reasonable quality assuming that you're the first owner
Posted 27/10/2011 - 19:53
Link
Dangermouse wrote:
I have seen a guide to DIY repairs of SDM lenses which I would probably try first if mine failed out of warranty. It basically involved unscrewing the lens mount and wiggling the SDM motor with a screwdriver to un-stick it. Given I've had A-series and AF lenses apart before now (and reassembled them in full working order) I doubt it would be that much harder, and if it didn't work I'd just reassemble and send it for a professional fix.
And here's the link> http://bangmedia.no/pentax/sdmfix/
I have seen a guide to DIY repairs of SDM lenses which I would probably try first if mine failed out of warranty. It basically involved unscrewing the lens mount and wiggling the SDM motor with a screwdriver to un-stick it. Given I've had A-series and AF lenses apart before now (and reassembled them in full working order) I doubt it would be that much harder, and if it didn't work I'd just reassemble and send it for a professional fix.
Posted 28/10/2011 - 11:00
Link
Thanks guys. Just bloody wish I'd looked into this b4 sending the lens off. Well, in the end, it might end up costing me a few quid in the end but it worth it in the end
Posted 10/12/2011 - 17:29
Link
So, just got a call in from Pentax Italy. The lens motor is defective. They have to ship a new one in from France. It's gonna cost me €280!!!!!!!! I am devastated. Have to get it done though. Can't spend €280 on a new lens of this quality so may as well fix the old one and get a new guarantee on the work they've done, right???
Posted 10/12/2011 - 19:20
Link
What reputation does this lens have? Is it all worth it end the end?
Posted 10/12/2011 - 19:41
Link
Mike-P wrote:
They are (allegedly) fitting upgraded motors to the 16-50/50-135mm so once fixed it "should" give no further problems.
I've heard this rumour a few times Mike. Where does it originate from or is it just an 'educated guess' that is being perpetuated ?
They are (allegedly) fitting upgraded motors to the 16-50/50-135mm so once fixed it "should" give no further problems.
http://frogfish.smugmug.com/ Pentax. Pentax DA*300/4, Cosina 55/1.2, Lens Baby Composer Pro & Edge 80, AFA x1.7, Metz 50 af1.
Nikon. D800. D600. Sigma 500/4.5, Nikon 300/2.8 VRII, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 35/2.0, Sigma 50/1.4, Nikkor 85/1.8, Nikon TC20EIII, Nikon TC14EII, Kenko x1.4, Sigma 2.0
Nikon. D800. D600. Sigma 500/4.5, Nikon 300/2.8 VRII, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 35/2.0, Sigma 50/1.4, Nikkor 85/1.8, Nikon TC20EIII, Nikon TC14EII, Kenko x1.4, Sigma 2.0
Posted 10/12/2011 - 19:59
Link
Frogfish wrote:
I've heard this rumour a few times Mike. Where does it originate from or is it just an 'educated guess' that is being perpetuated ?
I did say allegedly I've heard this rumour a few times Mike. Where does it originate from or is it just an 'educated guess' that is being perpetuated ?
I read it on Pentaxforums a while ago .. whether it's true or not I doubt we will ever know. For Pentax to say they were fitting new motors would be admitting the original ones were faulty.
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


424 posts
17 years