15Ltd
Posted 27/02/2013 - 16:10
Link
I had a Sigma 10-20, and had great fun with it. I would by quite happy to recommend it. But it was a relatively big and heavy lens, and images a bit on the soft side. I sold it and bought a 15 limited, and doubt I'll ever sell that. Much smaller and lighter, and sharper. If I find it's not quite wide enough (not an issue I've had so far) I can always 'stitch' a couple of shots together.
For my money, the 15 is the one to go for.
For my money, the 15 is the one to go for.
Posted 27/02/2013 - 16:41
Link
I paid £385 delivered on here recently for my as new 15mm Ltd (Thanks David in Kefalonia). Still testing it out but it is a beautiful and tiny thing. I've posted an into the sun landscape of Chatsworth on my gallery 'Late Winter sunshine'
The Sigma is excellent but it was big and heavy (I assume you mean the variable aperture one, I've not had the constant f3.5 which is heavier still) and didn't leave my bag enough. I sold it to help buy an 18 -135 DA WR. That gets much more use.
The Sigma is excellent but it was big and heavy (I assume you mean the variable aperture one, I've not had the constant f3.5 which is heavier still) and didn't leave my bag enough. I sold it to help buy an 18 -135 DA WR. That gets much more use.
Posted 27/02/2013 - 16:45
Link
About half a year ago I contemplated acquiring the DA15mm or the DA12-24mm for landscape and northern lights photography. I eventually ended up with buying the zoom. In the process I read many reviews of both lenses. Here is a review of the DA15mm by landscape photographer Greg Nyquist, who migrated from the DA12-24mm to the 15mm prime:
http://www.northcoastphotographer.net/blog/files/4cfb050deed06e35eb0dca56dc7442e...
Another interesting review is the one at photozone:
http://www.photozone.de/pentax/463-pentax_15_4
I guess you will get responses from forum members who have experience with the DA15mm. I myself am glad I went for the DA12-24mm, it is just fantastic!
Good luck with your quest
Best wishes
Bjørn
http://www.northcoastphotographer.net/blog/files/4cfb050deed06e35eb0dca56dc7442e...
Another interesting review is the one at photozone:
http://www.photozone.de/pentax/463-pentax_15_4
I guess you will get responses from forum members who have experience with the DA15mm. I myself am glad I went for the DA12-24mm, it is just fantastic!
Good luck with your quest
Best wishes
Bjørn
Posted 27/02/2013 - 19:26
Link
Hi Carl
Firstly, up front, I don't own either as yet but the '15' is my intended target
I hope soon to have reached my self imposed financial tagrget before making a purchase
Having checked every review, opinion and many photo's of/from the '15' and feel that overall it is the best option for me and as I have the annoying tendency to use zooms close to or at their best focal length it seems pointless me having a zoom.
The overall IQ of the '15', distortion control, flare, fringing, sharpness etc as far as i can tell seems hard to beat with the added bonus of the 'limited' build quality and size.
I have spotted the recent second hand ones around the £380 mark and have found them hard to resist but so far my will has not been broken but should be soon.
I believe that you can use square filters by having an additional 49mm ring to extend the rings beyong the hood so I am in the market for any 49mm filters with knackered glass I can remove and use the ring
Once I decide between a second hand or new one if it is second hand I will try to make sure I am not bidding against you (a pm should sort that) before taking the plunge
Cheers
Stu.
Firstly, up front, I don't own either as yet but the '15' is my intended target
I hope soon to have reached my self imposed financial tagrget before making a purchase
Having checked every review, opinion and many photo's of/from the '15' and feel that overall it is the best option for me and as I have the annoying tendency to use zooms close to or at their best focal length it seems pointless me having a zoom.
The overall IQ of the '15', distortion control, flare, fringing, sharpness etc as far as i can tell seems hard to beat with the added bonus of the 'limited' build quality and size.
I have spotted the recent second hand ones around the £380 mark and have found them hard to resist but so far my will has not been broken but should be soon.
I believe that you can use square filters by having an additional 49mm ring to extend the rings beyong the hood so I am in the market for any 49mm filters with knackered glass I can remove and use the ring
Once I decide between a second hand or new one if it is second hand I will try to make sure I am not bidding against you (a pm should sort that) before taking the plunge
Cheers
Stu.
Posted 27/02/2013 - 20:06
Link
Thanks everybody - and Stu - thanks for answering my unasked question regarding how on earth I would attach my beloved Hitech 100mm grads!
I think the only things stopping me diving on to ebay for a look around is that at 15mm the Sigma is as sharp as anything I have used and I do have a tendency to shoot closer to 10mm.
Images I have seen with this lens do look stunning so despite some remaining reservations - I am likely to add one to the collection and just pray I use it more than the 35Ltd I bought 6 months ago which so far has not taken 20 shots!
..and Stu - happy top coordinate efforts
Carl
I think the only things stopping me diving on to ebay for a look around is that at 15mm the Sigma is as sharp as anything I have used and I do have a tendency to shoot closer to 10mm.
Images I have seen with this lens do look stunning so despite some remaining reservations - I am likely to add one to the collection and just pray I use it more than the 35Ltd I bought 6 months ago which so far has not taken 20 shots!
..and Stu - happy top coordinate efforts
Carl
No matter how many lenses I have owned - I have always needed just one more
Posted 28/02/2013 - 08:32
Link
Stuey wrote:
I believe that you can use square filters by having an additional 49mm ring to extend the rings beyong the hood so I am in the market for any 49mm filters with knackered glass I can remove and use the ring...
I have loads of old 49mm filters I don't use that I'll gladly donate to the cause... PM me. K.
I believe that you can use square filters by having an additional 49mm ring to extend the rings beyong the hood so I am in the market for any 49mm filters with knackered glass I can remove and use the ring...
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.
Posted 28/02/2013 - 08:45
Link
womble wrote:
I have loads of old 49mm filters I don't use that I'll gladly donate to the cause... PM me. K.
That's what this forum's all about I have loads of old 49mm filters I don't use that I'll gladly donate to the cause... PM me. K.
For info Carl/Stuey - the hood protrudes 3.5mm... So you'd want an old filter that width to give clearance for the filter holder ring. The '15mm rules my mind' thread on the US forum reports this allows use of a lee filter system with wide angled adapter rings... And no vignetting. I've not seen any reports on whether it works with the hi tec 100mm system. Do these have wide angled adapter rings as well?
Posted 28/02/2013 - 08:59
Link
I think I must not had one of the better copies of the DA15mm Ltd when I owned it. I bought a brand new one to consider replacing my DA12-24 and in all honesty found it much softer than the DA12-24 around the frame edges, so much so that I was unhappy with how it rendered foreground detail and no longer own it, despite the very nice colour/contrast it produced.
Having said the above my experience does seem to be in the minority If you do buy one just make sure you check it for corner/edge softness
Simon
Having said the above my experience does seem to be in the minority If you do buy one just make sure you check it for corner/edge softness
Simon
My website http://www.landscapephotographyuk.com
My Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/landscapephotographyuk
Find me on Google+ link
My Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/landscapephotographyuk
Find me on Google+ link
Posted 28/02/2013 - 10:35
Link
Northgrain wrote:
For info Carl/Stuey - the hood protrudes 3.5mm... So you'd want an old filter that width to give clearance for the filter holder ring. The '15mm rules my mind' thread on the US forum reports this allows use of a lee filter system with wide angled adapter rings... And no vignetting. I've not seen any reports on whether it works with the hi tec 100mm system. Do these have wide angled adapter rings as well?
Hi Timwomble wrote:
I have loads of old 49mm filters I don't use that I'll gladly donate to the cause... PM me. K.
That's what this forum's all about I have loads of old 49mm filters I don't use that I'll gladly donate to the cause... PM me. K.
For info Carl/Stuey - the hood protrudes 3.5mm... So you'd want an old filter that width to give clearance for the filter holder ring. The '15mm rules my mind' thread on the US forum reports this allows use of a lee filter system with wide angled adapter rings... And no vignetting. I've not seen any reports on whether it works with the hi tec 100mm system. Do these have wide angled adapter rings as well?
Thanks for the info - yes the hi-tech system does have wide angle adapters - I have one for my 10-20 and use standard adapters on my 17-70 and 50-150. Not sure they doa wide angle adapter as small as 49mm and will have to check - but no rush - it would appear it may take me a while to find a used 15Ltd!
Carl
No matter how many lenses I have owned - I have always needed just one more
Posted 28/02/2013 - 10:43
Link
simonkit wrote:
I think I must not had one of the better copies of the DA15mm Ltd when I owned it. I bought a brand new one to consider replacing my DA12-24 and in all honesty found it much softer than the DA12-24 around the frame edges, so much so that I was unhappy with how it rendered foreground detail and no longer own it, despite the very nice colour/contrast it produced.
Having said the above my experience does seem to be in the minority If you do buy one just make sure you check it for corner/edge softness
Simon
Hi SimonI think I must not had one of the better copies of the DA15mm Ltd when I owned it. I bought a brand new one to consider replacing my DA12-24 and in all honesty found it much softer than the DA12-24 around the frame edges, so much so that I was unhappy with how it rendered foreground detail and no longer own it, despite the very nice colour/contrast it produced.
Having said the above my experience does seem to be in the minority If you do buy one just make sure you check it for corner/edge softness
Simon
I have read several reports that suggest the lens can be soft towards the corners especially at f4 and suggestions that it improves significantly at f/5.6 and f/8. Definitely something to watch out for.
Carl
No matter how many lenses I have owned - I have always needed just one more
Posted 28/02/2013 - 12:26
Link
fritzthedog wrote:
I have read several reports that suggest the lens can be soft towards the corners especially at f4 and suggestions that it improves significantly at f/5.6 and f/8. Definitely something to watch out for.
Carl
Yes Carl, the problem with the copy I had was that the corners didn't significantly improve enough at smaller apertures...wide open performance wasn't really a concern for me anyway as I mainly shoot around F11..I really wanted to be impressed by the results from the DA15mm but unfortunately I wasn't...many others definitely are though so sample variation seems to be a likely causesimonkit wrote:
I think I must not had one of the better copies of the DA15mm Ltd when I owned it. I bought a brand new one to consider replacing my DA12-24 and in all honesty found it much softer than the DA12-24 around the frame edges, so much so that I was unhappy with how it rendered foreground detail and no longer own it, despite the very nice colour/contrast it produced.
Having said the above my experience does seem to be in the minority If you do buy one just make sure you check it for corner/edge softness
Simon
Hi SimonI think I must not had one of the better copies of the DA15mm Ltd when I owned it. I bought a brand new one to consider replacing my DA12-24 and in all honesty found it much softer than the DA12-24 around the frame edges, so much so that I was unhappy with how it rendered foreground detail and no longer own it, despite the very nice colour/contrast it produced.
Having said the above my experience does seem to be in the minority If you do buy one just make sure you check it for corner/edge softness
Simon
I have read several reports that suggest the lens can be soft towards the corners especially at f4 and suggestions that it improves significantly at f/5.6 and f/8. Definitely something to watch out for.
Carl
Simon
My website http://www.landscapephotographyuk.com
My Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/landscapephotographyuk
Find me on Google+ link
My Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/landscapephotographyuk
Find me on Google+ link
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.




1908 posts
16 years
Knaresborough,
North Yorks
Questions:
1. What is the general opinion of this lens for landscape use from those who regularly use it?
2. Is there any notable advantages/ IQ improvement using a 15 Ltd Vs my Sigma 10-20 at 15mm?
3. What is a reasonable price for an unmarked used version?
Thanks
Carl