Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

13 ICM Images

cardiffgareth
Posted 21/12/2023 - 19:38 Link
Not been out for a while with the camera and after watching a really good video on ICM on YT and remembering the great images of Bill Ward, I headed out on a walk with just the camera. 2 lenses and a ND64 filter.

All Pentax K1ii and either D FA 24-70mm or DA* 60-250mm

Comment Image
ICM by Gareth Williams, on Flickr

Comment Image

Comment Image

Comment Image

Comment Image

Comment Image

Comment Image

Comment Image

Comment Image

Comment Image

Comment Image

Comment Image

Comment Image
Gareth Williams ARPS

My outfit: K1ii - Pentax D FA 24-70mm f2.8 - Pentax DA* 300mm f4 - Pentax modified DA* 60-250mm f4 - Irix 15mm Firefly - Pentax FA 35mm - FA 50mm f1.4 - Tamron SP 90mm macro - Pentax AF 540 FGZ II

Welsh Photographer
Flickr
Instagram
My PPG
Foundation NFT
davidwozhere
Posted 21/12/2023 - 22:29 - Helpful Comment Link
These are quite wonderful - especially the less clearly defined ones which could be imagined on the wall of a high end gallery (where you are afraid to ask the prices).
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd
LennyBloke
Posted 22/12/2023 - 08:52 - Helpful Comment Link
Nice little selection - their biggest strength lies in that warm glow that carries throughout the set
LennyBloke
rick
Posted 22/12/2023 - 12:54 - Helpful Comment Link
What strikes me straightaway with these images are the lovely subtle colours involved, would definitely make great prints to grace any wall.

Like them all, but especially number 8.
Pentax KP / HD 21mm f/3.2 / HD 18-50mm / Voigtlander Ultron 40mm f/2
walkeja
Posted 22/12/2023 - 13:47 - Helpful Comment Link
Can't see the point of this type of photography! Also known as camera shake?
Pentax K1-ii and MZ6
Pentax Lenses 28-80 F, 300 DA*, 80-200 F, 35 F2.4 AL, M50 F1.7, 28-105 DFA, 20 F4 SMC
ONE UNITED Member
jvs
Posted 22/12/2023 - 17:25 - Helpful Comment Link
walkeja wrote:

Each to his own, of course, but Isn't that a bit like saying that impressionism is just an excuse for not being able to paint properly?

I don't like all of this selection, Gareth, but numbers 2, 6, 7, 9 and 11 really appeal to me and I'd be happy to see them on my wall where their soft, evocative content would stimulate the imagination.
John
Nigelk
Posted 22/12/2023 - 19:47 - Helpful Comment Link
A delightful set of impressionist images. Great stuff!
cardiffgareth
Posted 22/12/2023 - 21:35 Link
Thanks all, appreciate the comments and feedback.

walkeja wrote:

There lies the question, what is the point? This then begs the questions, what is the point of photography? Is it to record a scene as your eye took it, where the subject is frozen, pin sharp and an exact replica, or is it to allow yourself to be creative, to explore the unknown and makes images that gives more questions than answers?

When we look at the timeline of photography, all the back to the camera obscura, we've had traditional photography, then we moved into modern photography where photography was more conceptual and finally into postmodern photography where we are now that encompasses a variety of shooting techniques we see that abstract photography and creative photography has a place and has shaped the art world.

So to go back to the question of what is the point of this type of photography, well the easy answer is just one word: freedom.

Am I focused correctly? Who cares
Is my horizon straight? Who cares
Do I have any CA in my image? Who cares
Dust bunnies? Who cares
A flat boring scene? Who cares
Is there good light hitting my subject? Who cares
Subject silhouetted? Who cares

See, total freedom to just go out, be creative, allowing your thought process of rules to be overtaken with freedom and knowing that every image you produce will be individual that no one can recreate, not even you! Honestly try it, you'll feel like you're breathing again and it really is fun, just be careful you don't accidentally launch your camera when flicking it about!
Gareth Williams ARPS

My outfit: K1ii - Pentax D FA 24-70mm f2.8 - Pentax DA* 300mm f4 - Pentax modified DA* 60-250mm f4 - Irix 15mm Firefly - Pentax FA 35mm - FA 50mm f1.4 - Tamron SP 90mm macro - Pentax AF 540 FGZ II

Welsh Photographer
Flickr
Instagram
My PPG
Foundation NFT
Flan
Posted 22/12/2023 - 23:37 - Helpful Comment Link
Spoken like a Champion Gareth
Freedom Freedom
Lubbyman
Posted 22/12/2023 - 23:57 - Helpful Comment Link
"what is the point of photography?" What a question! And surely the answer can only be 'To produce photographs'. And that isn't being frivolous, because it's the point of the photograph that really matters. Creativity, freedom etc. is fine but only when it's consistent with the point of taking the photograph. What you seem to be talking about, Gareth, is taking photographs as a means of personal or artistic expression. However, there are other reaons for taking photographs where creativity and freedom are not appropriate, for example photographing something for scientific research or a criminal investigation - try getting an ICM photo of a crime scene accepted as evidence in court!

Of course, when taking photographs for personal enjoyment, the point of the photos can be anything you want it to be, including experimenting with ICM or any other technique that's guaranteed not to produce sharp images. So good for you, Gareth, for getting out and trying something different. And for those who don't see the point of it, that's OK too, keep taking photos that you do enjoy.

As for this specific set of photos... well, as someone who isn't a fan of milky seas and such like, I'm with davidwozhere in prefering the less clearly defined ones. They ask questions whereas the others provide blurred answers. Definitely worth pursuing that line of experimentation .

Steve
Posted 23/12/2023 - 15:09 - Helpful Comment Link
:arrow:
davidwozhere wrote:
These are quite wonderful - especially the less clearly defined ones which could be imagined on the wall of a high end gallery (where you are afraid to ask the prices).

Wot he says. I was thinking, 'this is art, pure and simple.' Yep, I can definitely see these on the wall of a high end gallery.
Be well, stay safe, but most of all, invest in memories
cardiffgareth
Posted 24/12/2023 - 09:08 Link
Great post Steve

Kevin, I need to befriend someone with a high end gallery so I can sell some and reinvest in more camera gear unless Pentax are listening and want to send me either a prototype K1iii or a nice 645 to play with :
Gareth Williams ARPS

Welsh Photographer
Flickr
Instagram
My PPG
Foundation NFT
Posted 24/12/2023 - 09:31 - Helpful Comment Link
Right then, Gareth, here's the plan... um, erm (anyone?)

In addition to the sites you're already utilising, I'm wondering if Pentax have a publicity unit which distributes images of work undertaken with their equipment. Maybe John could provide advice on this. There have been other images on this site where I've just thought, 'y'know, that really deserves to be seen more widely.'

Again, Gareth, I seriously like your work as you well know.

All - enjoy the festive season and have a successful 2024.
Lubbyman
Posted 24/12/2023 - 11:08 - Helpful Comment Link
cardiffgareth wrote:
I need to befriend someone with a high end gallery

I don't know what it's like in your area, but around here (south Dorset) there are a few places that run exhibitions by local artists, several artists in the same exhibition (some of whom have letters after their name which add a couple of 0's to their prices :shock. There's also a small group of very good photographers that does it's own exhibitions. Perhaps a way forward is to find some like-minded and equally talented photographers or other artists, discover what an exhibition of your collective work might look like then make a suggesion or two to local galleries or other paces that might host an exhibition (hotels etc.). Who knows where it might lead. And at the very least, working with other artists/photographers would in itself be interesting and artistically stimulating.

Good luck

Steve
Posted 24/12/2023 - 11:22 - Helpful Comment Link
Excellent post, Steve.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.