110 lenses
Posted 13/03/2013 - 14:04
Link
Thanks Chris, dark red 'lizard' cowhide now ordered
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
Posted 25/03/2013 - 11:39
Link
gartmore wrote:
Thanks Chris, dark red 'lizard' cowhide now ordered
Hi KenThanks Chris, dark red 'lizard' cowhide now ordered
How have you got on with these?
How difficult is the original skin to remove?
There is on tip I can give you, used 'as is' the adhesive 'grabs' instantly, but if you lick the adhesive (I know, you can try a drop (literally one drop) of Fairy Liquid in a tumbler of water, but spit works much better), then you have around a minute to slide it around to place it perfectly, use an old credit card as a 'squeegee' when in place. It will fix permanently in around 10 minutes.
This method does have the advantage as an excuse for a fine Malt to get rid of the taste (not that there is any)!!
Chris
Posted 25/03/2013 - 11:47
Link
It hasn't arrived yet but I'm expecting it by the end of the week. Although you order on his website you have to wait for him to send you a paypal money request.
Thanks for the tip, I'm thinking that picking up a corner with a scalpel might be the way to pull off the original ones. Not sure if there will be any residue left to pick off, we'll see.
Thanks for the tip, I'm thinking that picking up a corner with a scalpel might be the way to pull off the original ones. Not sure if there will be any residue left to pick off, we'll see.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
Posted 25/03/2013 - 21:00
Link
Oh dear. Something else to spend money on
Posted 25/03/2013 - 21:51
Link
gartmore wrote:
It hasn't arrived yet but I'm expecting it by the end of the week. Although you order on his website you have to wait for him to send you a paypal money request.
Thanks for the tip, I'm thinking that picking up a corner with a scalpel might be the way to pull off the original ones. Not sure if there will be any residue left to pick off, we'll see.
If there is Ken a little Methylated Spirit on a cotton bud usually dissolves the adhesive, then a wipe with kitchen roll. If you find you need something stronger then lighter fluid (petrol) works well.It hasn't arrived yet but I'm expecting it by the end of the week. Although you order on his website you have to wait for him to send you a paypal money request.
Thanks for the tip, I'm thinking that picking up a corner with a scalpel might be the way to pull off the original ones. Not sure if there will be any residue left to pick off, we'll see.
Both evaporate cleanly, so wipe with the kitchen roll whilst still wet, the idea is the kitchen roll absorbs the adhesive.
Chris
Posted 27/03/2013 - 13:30
Link
They arrived this morning and the whole operation took about two minutes. Interestingly they give you a spare set of covers to practise with which I didn't need. If any daring person would like a set of pale irridescent pink snakeskin covers drop me a PM, they would look great on a white camera.
I picked up a corner of the original ones and they lifted off without leaving any residue whatsoever. Peeled the new ones off the baking paper and carefully dropped them into position pressing home the edges and corners with a wooden skewer. The fit is perfect and every bit as good as the originals. The colour is little bit lighter than I was expecting but nothing to worry about since its a natural material and you might expect some variance.
All in all I'm very pleased with the result which looks quite retro, I'll post some pictures when I get a chance.
I picked up a corner of the original ones and they lifted off without leaving any residue whatsoever. Peeled the new ones off the baking paper and carefully dropped them into position pressing home the edges and corners with a wooden skewer. The fit is perfect and every bit as good as the originals. The colour is little bit lighter than I was expecting but nothing to worry about since its a natural material and you might expect some variance.
All in all I'm very pleased with the result which looks quite retro, I'll post some pictures when I get a chance.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
Posted 27/03/2013 - 15:46
Link
gartmore wrote:
They arrived this morning and the whole operation took about two minutes. Interestingly they give you a spare set of covers to practise with which I didn't need. If any daring person would like a set of pale irridescent pink snakeskin covers drop me a PM, they would look great on a white camera.
I picked up a corner of the original ones and they lifted off without leaving any residue whatsoever. Peeled the new ones off the baking paper and carefully dropped them into position pressing home the edges and corners with a wooden skewer. The fit is perfect and every bit as good as the originals. The colour is little bit lighter than I was expecting but nothing to worry about since its a natural material and you might expect some variance.
All in all I'm very pleased with the result which looks quite retro, I'll post some pictures when I get a chance.
Can't wait!
They arrived this morning and the whole operation took about two minutes. Interestingly they give you a spare set of covers to practise with which I didn't need. If any daring person would like a set of pale irridescent pink snakeskin covers drop me a PM, they would look great on a white camera.
I picked up a corner of the original ones and they lifted off without leaving any residue whatsoever. Peeled the new ones off the baking paper and carefully dropped them into position pressing home the edges and corners with a wooden skewer. The fit is perfect and every bit as good as the originals. The colour is little bit lighter than I was expecting but nothing to worry about since its a natural material and you might expect some variance.
All in all I'm very pleased with the result which looks quite retro, I'll post some pictures when I get a chance.
Regards,
Michael
Michael
Posted 27/03/2013 - 15:58
Link
gartmore wrote:
The thing that is such a coincidence is that the Lensbaby aperture discs are a perfect fit into the Roxsen adapter. I do mean perfect.
The combination of the Q with adapter, 70mm f2.8 110 lens and even a SMC Takumar 200mm lens hood is beautifully balanced and SR really did a fine job on the few pictures I took.
Why bother with a Q10 when SRS are selling Q's at such low price
---------------------------------------------The thing that is such a coincidence is that the Lensbaby aperture discs are a perfect fit into the Roxsen adapter. I do mean perfect.
The combination of the Q with adapter, 70mm f2.8 110 lens and even a SMC Takumar 200mm lens hood is beautifully balanced and SR really did a fine job on the few pictures I took.
Why bother with a Q10 when SRS are selling Q's at such low price
Have you posted the results anywhere Ken?
Dave
Posted 27/03/2013 - 16:17
Link
Im a bit pushed for time right now so tomorrow or the next day, hopefully
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
Posted 29/03/2013 - 14:22
Link
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
Posted 30/03/2013 - 00:59
Link
Looks pretty good. Do you think the SR is up to handholding that at say 1/250th?
Posted 20/04/2013 - 11:57
Link
To answer my own question above - No! Now have the 50mm, the 70mm adapter and Lensbaby aperture disks. Tried out at f4 in the sun and am getting a lot of PF especially with the 70mm. Also struggling with focusing handeheld, can't see the focus peaking in the sunlight. Results very average so far. I think I will have to try the tripod which defeats the benefits rally. Think I may stick to it with its excellent 01 prime and the 300mm DA* on the tripod for its astounding results.
Dave
Dave
Posted 29/04/2013 - 10:19
Link
More shots indoors, I'll try some outside to see if I get the PF too but in the meantime:
Q with 50mm Pentax-110 and Pentax T86 close up lens at f2.8

Q with 50mm Pentax-110 and Pentax T86 close up lens at f5.6 with lensbaby aperture disc

Q with 50mm Pentax F at f5.6 just for comparison

Not much in it really but it is interesting that the two lenses should have the same colour and contrast.
Q with 50mm Pentax-110 and Pentax T86 close up lens at f2.8

Q with 50mm Pentax-110 and Pentax T86 close up lens at f5.6 with lensbaby aperture disc

Q with 50mm Pentax F at f5.6 just for comparison

Not much in it really but it is interesting that the two lenses should have the same colour and contrast.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.




6724 posts
20 years
Glasgow,
Scotland
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -